Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
TKK
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Default Horse stall advice

In process of having our barn built. We put in concrete floors everywhere except the stalls. What do you recommend to put in the stall floors - I will put shavings over the top but curious what is best? Our horses will not be spending alot of time in them - we have 25 acres of coastal and the spend majority of their time outside. Thanks
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #2
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young
 
cosmiccowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Antonio hunt Medina/Atascosa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
In process of having our barn built. We put in concrete floors everywhere except the stalls. What do you recommend to put in the stall floors - I will put shavings over the top but curious what is best? Our horses will not be spending alot of time in them - we have 25 acres of coastal and the spend majority of their time outside. Thanks
I put lightly tamped limestone fines in the bottom of mine and drilled/opened up a bunch of holes with a rotohammer. Then about 5" of sand. Then shavings as needed on top of that. The limestone was for when an area got pee saturated...it would neutralize the urine that got down to it and keep the ammonia smell down.
cosmiccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
niceg3s
Ten Point
 
niceg3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Hunt In: Own property in Smith/Cherokee.
Default

Main thing is keeping them dry. Not sure if rain blows in or not. I would use a dry sandy soil that drains well and be generous with the shavings.
niceg3s is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
ranchdog
Ten Point
 
ranchdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, Texas
Default

Put down a good base of sand and maybe a bit of crushed granite from your local nursery store then go to Tractor Supply and get the thick black rubber mats and cut them to fit on top of the sand / granite. Then put the shavings on top of the rubber mats. Your good to go.
ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
IAFFHunter18
Four Point
 
IAFFHunter18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: East Texas, Sonora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchdog View Post
Put down a good base of sand and maybe a bit of crushed granite from your local nursery store then go to Tractor Supply and get the thick black rubber mats and cut them to fit on top of the sand / granite. Then put the shavings on top of the rubber mats. Your good to go.
This^^^
IAFFHunter18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point
 
TX_Hoghunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Caddo Mills, TX
Hunt In: Harper, TX
Default

Apparently the horses that I have owned over the last 40 years have all been neglected...all they have ever had was dirt......LOL.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young
 
bowhuntertex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......
Default

We used screenings. It packs down really well, but still soft enough for the horses and doesn't get muddy. Most everyone around where I am use this for their stalls.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
Hocks & horns
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
We used screenings. It packs down really well, but still soft enough for the horses and doesn't get muddy. Most everyone around where I am use this for their stalls.
I use the concrete screenings also. I pack them hard and then a think layer of a fine shavings.
Hocks & horns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #9
niceg3s
Ten Point
 
niceg3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Hunt In: Own property in Smith/Cherokee.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
Apparently the horses that I have owned over the last 40 years have all been neglected...all they have ever had was dirt......LOL.

-john
It's all about how much money you want to spend John.
niceg3s is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
TKRanch
Eight Point
 
TKRanch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Born in Texas, live in McHenry, Illinois
Default

Up here in Illinois our horses spend a lot more time in their stalls than they did in Texas. We put a base of limestone fines about 4 -6 inches packed hard then put 3/4 inch rubber stall mats down. Then we use wood shavings on that.... Good luck.
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
Tye
Ten Point
 
Tye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Granbury,Tx and hunt Eastland Cty
Default

Just redid ours. Added 4-5" of sand
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #12
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point
 
Tejas Wildlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Groesbeck, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default

I am sorry Tye. Didn't know you had horses. My condolences!

(Speaks the man whose wife owns over 25 *&@#%$+ registered racehorses. Sigh.....)
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #13
Tye
Ten Point
 
Tye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Granbury,Tx and hunt Eastland Cty
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
I am sorry Tye. Didn't know you had horses. My condolences!

(Speaks the man whose wife owns over 25 *&@#%$+ registered racehorses. Sigh.....)
Yep, my wife and daughter have Reiners. They are actually going to Waco today for a show
My wife pays the horse stuff and I pay for hunting/shooting/NFA stuff





https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YRs5syNjisw
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #14
Brute Killer
Pope & Young
 
Brute Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Llano.
Hunt In: Pleasanton
Default

Stalls suck. Avoid using one if at all possible.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #15
TKK
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
Just redid ours. Added 4-5" of sand
So sand only? Ours will not be in stalls much
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #16
Tye
Ten Point
 
Tye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Granbury,Tx and hunt Eastland Cty
Default

Yep. He originally had clay, but it got too hard. Ended up having to rent a jack hammer and remove it. We added sand back. Wife has been using these pellets that expand with moisture. We put the pellets on top of that. The other stalls we have in the barn had base material over latex with rubber mats. Our horse will spend a pretty good amount of time in the stalls
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #17
friscopaint
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Collinsville
Default

Money..........
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #18
tminc
Six Point
 
tminc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: lake travis
Hunt In: burnet county,mexico
Default

TKK, nice stall
tminc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #19
TKK
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
We used screenings. It packs down really well, but still soft enough for the horses and doesn't get muddy. Most everyone around where I am use this for their stalls.
sorry but not sure what you are referring to on concrete screenings?
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #20
happy bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
happy bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Liberty hill
Hunt In: mason county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
Apparently the horses that I have owned over the last 40 years have all been neglected...all they have ever had was dirt......LOL.

-john
X2
happy bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #21
Russ81
Pope & Young
 
Russ81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brazoria Co.
Hunt In: Mason County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
sorry but not sure what you are referring to on concrete screenings?

It's fine pieces of limestone or concrete that's left after they run it thru a crusher.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #22
Hart8
Pope & Young
 
Hart8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waxahachie,Tx
Hunt In: concho co. tx
Default I was gonna say clay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
Yep. He originally had clay, but it got too hard. Ended up having to rent a jack hammer and remove it. We added sand back. Wife has been using these pellets that expand with moisture. We put the pellets on top of that. The other stalls we have in the barn had base material over latex with rubber mats. Our horse will spend a pretty good amount of time in the stalls
I bought 12 yds of clay for 2,12'x12' stalls.Added 5 yds of an Oklahoma red sand to each of em.Dug the clay up 8yrs later because it was so hard.I thought we got our moneys worth..Added a little lime,waited a few days,and did it again.
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com