Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
DeepDownSouth
Six Point

Hunt In: Ol Mexico
Default Keto diet

Anybody on the GS doing the Keto diet ? I started 2 weeks ago, and I seem to be eating the same things and it's getting old. If you are, you mind sharing and good receipes? Thank you in advanced .
DeepDownSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Just get to idea of eating for taste and enjoyment out of your head. I'm not on a keto diet but pretty much eat the same thing daily. Oatmeal and 6 eggs for breakfast, 4 eggs after workout snack and greek yogart, 2 chicken breasts and brown rice lunch, broccoli, tuna, apple snack, fish or chicken another 2 times before I go to sleep- wake up the next day and repeat. Been doing it for several years but do throw in a piece of cheesecake or icecream once in a while.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
lab man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan

Here are some recipes.
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

Here is another thread with a good recipe.
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=638923

Good luck.
lab man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
DeepDownSouth
Six Point

Thank you. I've lost 9lbs in 2 weeks. Hardest part, ain't gunna lie. My beer intake
Old 05-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
bearintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!

Search amazon for an author Kristie Sullivan-Honeycutt. Great cookbook. She also runs a Facebook group along those lines.
bearintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
ATControlFreak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Africa

Down 41 lbs in 4 months. Stay the course. Once I took the attitude that food is only fuel, it seemed to help push me through. Some days are better than others. I've found that if I plateau for a week, I will have a "cheat meal". Eat whatever I want and then get back in Ketosis. That jump starts my weight loss again. I limit those cheat meals to once a month. I drink a lot of the premier protein shakes I buy at Sam's. 30 grams of protein per drink.
ATControlFreak is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
Bill M
Pope & Young

I have enjoyed some of the recipes from here. Being diabetic carbs are my enemy.

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

http://www.uplateanyway.com/keto/almond-flour-biscuits/

These biscuits are the bomb, made with almond flour.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #9
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

If it ends with 'diet' it won't:
a) last
and/or
b) work
Eat healthy & exercise. Amazing how sometimes the game-changers are so blatantly obvious. Dedication is all it takes. Pure & simple. Either you truly want the change or you don't. Now, dedicate yourself & MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #10
DeepDownSouth
Six Point

Thank you guys for all the support and advise. I am a outside salesman and drive about 5000 miles a month. So it's kinda hard to stay on point. I'm thinking making Premaid lunches and snacks for the road.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #11
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDownSouth View Post
Thank you guys for all the support and advise. I am a outside salesman and drive about 5000 miles a month. So it's kinda hard to stay on point. I'm thinking making Premaid lunches and snacks for the road.
That's a great idea! Also, park in the farthest spot in the parking lot when you go do your sales. Every little bit helps!
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 10:49 PM   #12
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Quote:
Yes this!!! I do the same thing, cook meals all Sunday afternoon. Buy your tupperware and get after it. The Keto is actually really easy on the road, just don't stop at the gas station if you can't carry anything. Stop at a grocery store and get a half chicken, cuts of roast, etc.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 11:09 PM   #13
Voodoo
Six Point

Hunt In: Highway Medians

For most folk the "junk" is a taste bud only satisfaction so while it may be sacrilegious, you can chew it, savor it, and spit it out, to include beer.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 03:48 AM   #14
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD2037 View Post
If it ends with 'diet' it won't:
a) last
and/or
b) work
Eat healthy & exercise. Amazing how sometimes the game-changers are so blatantly obvious. Dedication is all it takes. Pure & simple. Either you truly want the change or you don't. Now, dedicate yourself & MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!
In this particular case (the Keto Diet) it's a lifestyle change. It isn't a "diet" as in the common use of the word in today's society. But it's a "diet", as in you're changing the way you eat as a long term lifestyle plan

Or that is what it SHOULD be anyways. If folks are doing it as a "quick weight loss" deal, as soon as they quit and go back to eating a crappy "diet", the weight will return with a vengeance
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 04:06 AM   #15
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Keto diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Just get to idea of eating for taste and enjoyment out of your head. I'm not on a keto diet but pretty much eat the same thing daily. Oatmeal and 6 eggs for breakfast, 4 eggs after workout snack and greek yogart, 2 chicken breasts and brown rice lunch, broccoli, tuna, apple snack, fish or chicken another 2 times before I go to sleep- wake up the next day and repeat. Been doing it for several years but do throw in a piece of cheesecake or icecream once in a while.

I don't buy into these fad diets either amd yours is pretty on point for what I do except for the fact that you're on a deer hunting website and don't eat deer. I limit my red meat(deer) to once or twice a week and the rest is chicken or fish. I do 1 cup egg whites with one whole egg for the am and Mix in some oatmeal. I travel for sales so i usually do a protein shake around 10 and chicken or fish for lunch with brown rice. At 3 I do another protein shake and dinner around 7 I do a protein and a vegetable.

After following this diet for a while and drinking all the water you are supposed to I have learned that I'm not doing it right.

I've been in the gym for a long time and those guys you wished you looked like are all cheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Black Ice; 05-14-2017 at 04:09 AM..
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 05:48 AM   #16
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

You don't have to eat junk and definitely not the same thing all the time. I love BBQ so end up eating a LOT of that, but just gobbled up some Tamale Pie the wife made me. There's a lot of great keto compliant foods. You just need to find sources for recipes, she even crushes up pork rinds and somehow makes me tortillas out of them and makes me pancakes for breakfast out of cream cheese, it's like magic. I love all the caveman keto stuff on instagram but don't think we've used a single one of the recipes because we're busy with all the other variety we've found elsewhere.

As for the diet, you'll get a lot of blah blah don't need keto diet replies from people who don't understand it. In the end it's a diet just like the rest. I can lose weight or gain weight on any diet and I've done quite a few, in the gym I make my best gains with a classic 40/40/20 and my lifts go up, same diet I can drop lbs seemingly at-will. No matter the case though I get the glucose ups and downs and need coffee or lack energy at certain times of the day. That's not the case with keto, once I'm in ketosis I have smooth constant energy the entire day, sleep better, less moody, etc. The only thing I'll say is if you enjoy running, like long distance running or extremely long cardio sessions then this is not the type of diet for you.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 05:49 AM   #17
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Thank you. I've lost 9lbs in 2 weeks. Hardest part, ain't gunna lie. My beer intake
Switch to Crown & Coke Zero or anything clear & Sprite Zero.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #18
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Calories in VS calories out. There is no harm in stopping at Rudy's and eating a half lb of moist brisket, or getting a double meat cheese whataburger with no bun, no maters, no sauce. Not the healthiest thing obviously and you don't want to do it all the time, but stay within your caloric goals and you're fine when you get in a pinch. I keep a bag of almonds and whey protein with me everywhere I go.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #19
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iowa

I take it keto = Atkin's but people need a latest and greatest name to it.
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #20
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHunter View Post
I take it keto = Atkin's but people need a latest and greatest name to it.
"Keto" is just short for ketosis which is the actual metabolic process, so Atkins and any other name for similar diets are all keto diets usually with some weird unnecessary customizations.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #21
Maxxed Outdoors
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palestine

Bottom line no matter what diet your on or if your just clean eating, if your not at a calorie deficit at the end of the day you are not going to loose weight.
Maxxed Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #22
DeepDownSouth
Six Point

Either way.. thank you again from the advice and I'll stay on track and positive.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #23
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post

I've been in the gym for a long time and those guys you wished you looked like are all cheating.

I have come to this same conclusion for the middle age to older guys like myself. My doctor told me that is not an obtainable goal at my age. He said just keep eating healthy and exercising and Im good. Gravity and getting old sucks!
rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #24
Jason
Six Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches/Rusk County

http://eatingacademy.com

Above is a website from Dr. Peter Attia. There's a bunch of articles from both a techinical and practical standpoint about the keto diet. I heard him on the Jocko podcast and loved his quote about diets:
"I don't argue about diets with people. Diets are a pseudoscience masquerading as religion...I don't care what diet your on, find one that's works for you and get after it." That's not an exact quote, but it's pretty close. Basically, pick a healthy lifestyle that works for you and go for it.

For me, I have to cut carbs to lose weight. The keto diet is one I can live with.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #25
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Not really on a true Keto, but I don't eat any grains, nuts, processed foods, or drink beer. I noticed that bacon is actually good to me when it comes to energy gain without sluggishness.

Mix up your meats and don't be afraid to try organ meats like liver and heart. I do it so I don't get tired of chicken and beef.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #26
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Go info felllas... Hoping to try to change my eating habits and have been considering this...

Here is a link I have been looking at. https://www.ruled.me Anyone doing Keto ever tried the recipes on here??

A couple of questions for the guys on the Keto eating plans: how do you know you have reached the point were your body is "running" on mainly fat?? And what type of effects can be expected from a "cheat meal" ??
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #27
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
A couple of questions for the guys on the Keto eating plans: how do you know you have reached the point were your body is "running" on mainly fat?? And what type of effects can be expected from a "cheat meal" ??
So when you first transition into ketosis, well for me anyway, first 3-4 days suck pretty bad, headaches and sluggish and maybe a little confused (more than normal lol) but that all suddenly goes away and then smooth solid energy all day. I've gone on/off enough to where I don't really care to pay attention whether I'm actually in ketosis or not I just eat and go and let it happen. Cheat meal I always do last meal of the day then hit the bed, and I don't overdo it so most of the carbs from that simply go to replenishing the glycogen stores and I'm back in ketosis by morning. Some people end up doing a whole cheat day or a big cheat meal in the morning and feel like crap all day, last meal of the day is where it's at and don't go ape with it. When you have a food craving or really want something silly like a cupcake, and you will, put it on your list and eat the hell out of that on your cheat meal. It helps to keep your willpower up. If you do a lot of cardio or lift you can be a little more loose with your keto diet because you're burning the carbs, which helps a lot with meal variety and ingredients. Over time you'll learn what works and what doesn't.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #28
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dreams

Quote:
Go info felllas... Hoping to try to change my eating habits and have been considering this...

Here is a link I have been looking at. https://www.ruled.me Anyone doing Keto ever tried the recipes on here??

When adapting to fat as fuel, I and a lot of folks will feel sluggish and foggy. I don't get the keto flu because I salt my foods and use magnesium and potassium supplements. 1st you can use keto stix to pee on. That is a rough guesttimate to tell of your peeing ketones. Their is also a breathalyzer for ketones and if you want to keto really fancy, they have finger stick machines. Just like the ones diabetics use but it detects ketones not glucose. When I'm adapted, I will get increased energy after drinking a keto coffee. I like butter and coconut oil in mine. Your thought process will clear up and you can. Find yourself feeling full all and not feel like your hungry 24/7. This might be tmi but my gi tract feels 100 % better. My reflux is greatly decreased and my energy levels are steady.
icetrauma is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #29
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
So when you first transition into ketosis, well for me anyway, first 3-4 days suck pretty bad, headaches and sluggish and maybe a little confused (more than normal lol) but that all suddenly goes away and then smooth solid energy all day. I've gone on/off enough to where I don't really care to pay attention whether I'm actually in ketosis or not I just eat and go and let it happen. Cheat meal I always do last meal of the day then hit the bed, and I don't overdo it so most of the carbs from that simply go to replenishing the glycogen stores and I'm back in ketosis by morning. Some people end up doing a whole cheat day or a big cheat meal in the morning and feel like crap all day, last meal of the day is where it's at and don't go ape with it. When you have a food craving or really want something silly like a cupcake, and you will, put it on your list and eat the hell out of that on your cheat meal. It helps to keep your willpower up. If you do a lot of cardio or lift you can be a little more loose with your keto diet because you're burning the carbs, which helps a lot with meal variety and ingredients. Over time you'll learn what works and what doesn't.

As far as cheat meals go, you can get that carb crash and bloated feeling after the cheat meal. It will knock you out of ketosis and you'll have to go through the introduction/adaption phase all over again. I find the intro phase is shorter after a cheat meal than, at the beginning. I've lost 45 lbs since Oct of last year on keto. Not 100% on because I took the holidays off and I do live a little. I'm not a competitive lifter or bodybuilder so, I don't have to get shredded but that is the eventual goal. You will most likely gain at least 5 lbs by the next day but remember, it's all water and will be off in a day or 3.

Ment to quote Pedernal
Old 05-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #30
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Thanks fellas!! I will definitely be giving this a go soon..
Old 05-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #31
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

There are a couple threads on this subject, so you should consider using the search function.

I am in the "eat balanced" and not in any one direction camp. I have lost 42 pounds in 4.5 months and am much healthier than I was before.

I have determined through research that this diet is really good at putting your body into starvation mode (ketosis.) It does so by limiting your bodies fuel source and appetite suppression. Whereas you can do the same thing by eating anything, as ling as you can control your intake and are able being comfortable with hunger until your body reaches statis again after you reach your target body comppsition.

Like any diet, you have to change your habbits for long term. I like an occasional beer. I like bread, pasta, and rice. I like fruit... I like game meat, occasional fried food, cheese, nuts, etc... So, no low carb, no low fat diets either. Never would be able to pull that off long term.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #32
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Guided Elk hunts in Colo to hogs in Texas

I've be on it and lost65#. Cut out se sweet tea and chips and salsa was the hardest part for me. Eat jerky as a snack. Lots and lots of red meat. Oh yea eat nuts for a snack.

HdFilmmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #33
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Guided Elk hunts in Colo to hogs in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
"Keto" is just short for ketosis which is the actual metabolic process, so Atkins and any other name for similar diets are all keto diets usually with some weird unnecessary customizations.

Atkins and ketos is very different.

HdFilmmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 10:30 PM   #34
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
I've be on it and lost65#. Cut out se sweet tea and chips and salsa was the hardest part for me. Eat jerky as a snack. Lots and lots of red meat. Oh yea eat nuts for a snack.
Just be sure to check ingredients, most commercial jerky is cured with brown sugar and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
Atkins and ketos is very different.
I think that's covered under "weird unnecessary customizations."
Old 05-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #35
TXHunter12
Ten Point

https://www.marigoldbars.com/best-pr...rby=popularity
Texas Pecan Praline
Cookie Dough
Oatmeal
Those three are my favorites.
Best bar considering what's in it you will ever find and it's filling.
TXHunter12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #36
justletmein
Ten Point

Maple syrup and 8g carbs? I can see why you like it, but that would kill my keto.

edit:
Cookie dough got cane sugar and tapioca starch?

Oat bars have.... OATS, cranberries, apple juice and 13g carbs?

These are in no way keto compliant foods.

Last edited by justletmein; 05-14-2017 at 11:27 PM..
Old 05-14-2017, 11:51 PM   #37
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHunter12 View Post
https://www.marigoldbars.com/best-pr...rby=popularity
Texas Pecan Praline
Cookie Dough
Oatmeal
Those three are my favorites.
Best bar considering what's in it you will ever find and it's filling.
$3 a piece? **** that's expensive. You can make your own...
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2017, 01:04 AM   #38
icetrauma
Ten Point

I'll stick to fat bombs for a sweet tooth craving. Also, the keto chocolate mug cake is pretty good as well.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:06 AM   #39
MisterSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Chambers, Bandera, Batson

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
oatmeal on a keto diet? apples? Yogurt? How high are you daily allowable carbs? usually you only have 20g at the most. I ate fried bacon and eggs, cheesecake, loaded baked chicken. Easiest diet ever.
MisterSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2017, 06:35 AM   #40
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSanders View Post
oatmeal on a keto diet? apples? Yogurt? How high are you daily allowable carbs? usually you only have 20g at the most. I ate fried bacon and eggs, cheesecake, loaded baked chicken. Easiest diet ever.
I believe he was saying he is not on keto but eats the same foods daily. With that said, keto is one of the easiest diet/eating plans to follow. I'm allowed 32 grams of carbs daily. I use the 70% Fat 25% protein and 5% carb ratios.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:40 AM   #41
steven
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rusk Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post

I have determined through research that this diet is really good at putting your body into starvation mode (ketosis.)

Ketosis is not starvation mode. Its simply the body running on ketones instead of glycogen. Any calorie deficit is considered a form of starvation, however it doesn't affect metabolism.

The "starvation mode" that you hear about people keeping weight on even when they take in less than they burn is mostly a myth until the subject gets around 5% body fat or less and is in serious danger of actually starving to death. At that time they would be in ketosis by default simply because without any food intake, their glycogen will be depleted.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #42
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Well here goes my first conscious attempt at a Keto type meal... Tipped the scales at 207 this morning we shall see how it goes, wanting to get to 185 by late summer. My apologies for the blurry pic (chicken fajitas with sausage and an avocado.), I had to tend to the chicken on the grill...
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #43
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #44
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Well here goes my first conscious attempt at a Keto type meal... Tipped the scales at 207 this morning we shall see how it goes, wanting to get to 185 by late summer. My apologies for the blurry pic (chicken fajitas with sausage and an avocado.), I had to tend to the chicken on the grill...
I'd eat it! Good start.

Watch the sausage for carbs, lots of commercial stuff will be too high.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #45
Leemo
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanders View Post
Bottom line no matter what diet your on or if your just clean eating, if your not at a calorie deficit at the end of the day you are not going to loose weight.
This , I've tried them all, now I just keep my pie hole shut
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #46
bucsfan69
Four Point

my wife will blend up some pork rinds then bread some elk/fish/pork and fry it up.....
bucsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #47
IDFWU
Six Point

Hunt In: Pearsall, Uvalde

Literally thousands of recipes here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/
IDFWU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #48
Pedernal
Pope & Young

48 hours of almost no carbs; Boy it was a rough day today!! Felt hungry most of the day but actually eat more than I normally do. I had a mild headache and felt like I had no energy at all... I wasn't going to work out but choose to fight through the low energy and ended up feeling quite well after the workout. I hope I don't have too many more of days like this to go!!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #49
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
That goal can be achieved in one month, if you stick with the plan, and only moderately exercise. 22lbs below your current weight is actually only about 10-12lbs body mass. Maybe less depending on how full your gut is .
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #50
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
48 hours of almost no carbs; Boy it was a rough day today!! Felt hungry most of the day but actually eat more than I normally do. I had a mild headache and felt like I had no energy at all... I wasn't going to work out but choose to fight through the low energy and ended up feeling quite well after the workout. I hope I don't have too many more of days like this to go!!
Stay with it, the 1st week is the worst. I take Magnesium and Potassium along with a multivitamin to make sure I don't get the "keto flu". Chicken broth, with salt not the low sodium kind, and bone broth help with the headache and other dragging symptoms.