Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
Bullseye07
Ten Point
 
Bullseye07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos
Default Big tax cuts coming

Looks like some big tax reform is coming down the pipe. Business tax to be reduced to 15%

We've got to find a way to balance our books, but since the government hasn't been able to do it with taxes, I'm totally fine with the big cuts.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...ness-rate.html
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Shane
Pope & Young
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abilene, TX
Hunt In: Mismatched camo
Default

Just like the repeal of Obamacare, building the border wall, etc.... Don't count your chickens.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Im all for it
but taxes have no relationship to spending in congress. They spend whatever they want regardless of how much they take in. I pray that one day that is not the case.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
Bullseye07
Ten Point
 
Bullseye07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Just like the repeal of Obamacare, building the border wall, etc.... Don't count your chickens.
Oh I agree, but even if they're not big sweeping changes I think changes of some kind are coming. And that is a good thing.
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
Shane
Pope & Young
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abilene, TX
Hunt In: Mismatched camo
Default

I'll gladly take any tax cut we can get. I just hope we get something. I'm not holding my breath though. The GOP leadership an Trump talked a great game in the campaign (and ever since), but they aren't putting much real success up on the scoreboard since taking office with complete control of the federal government. They're suddenly too concerned with protecting big government power, unfortunately.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
J Sweet
Pope & Young
 
J Sweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The Woodlands
Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I'll gladly take any tax cut we can get. I just hope we get something. I'm not holding my breath though. The GOP leadership an Trump talked a great game in the campaign (and ever since), but they aren't putting much real success up on the scoreboard since taking office with complete control of the federal government. They're suddenly too concerned with protecting big government power, unfortunately.
I don't put one bit of it on Trump. The Republican congress even when in power has proved to be worthless. There are certain things that have to be signed into law via congress. Trump is trying to do what he said he would, activist judges and a congress that needs to be horsewhipped to get the simplest of tasks accomplished are impeding progress.

What scares me about the tax plan is it is cost effective over time. At first tax receipts will decrease causing a larger budget deficit year to year. After a few years the boom to the economy that they tax cuts intended will come through. By then if the dems are back in charge they wont used the surplus to pay down the debt one bit, they will see it as a reason to spend even more. Republicrats will most likely do the same.
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
Man
Pope & Young
 
Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hondo,Tx
Hunt In: Hondo,Tx / Oklahoma
Default

Does this fall into the Less Taxes on business = more hiring formula?
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
Bill M
Pope & Young
 
Bill M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bryan, Texas
Default

Like the AHCA I'm for total rework of the tax system, not just reduction of rates. Go to a simpler tax system. There is no need for the complicated system on citizens. Flat tax or, my preference, consumption tax.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Does this fall into the Less Taxes on business = more hiring formula?
Yes it does. Trickle down economics or voodoo economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Just like the repeal of Obamacare, building the border wall, etc.... Don't count your chickens.
I am prayful at best!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I'll gladly take any tax cut we can get. I just hope we get something. I'm not holding my breath though. The GOP leadership an Trump talked a great game in the campaign (and ever since), but they aren't putting much real success up on the scoreboard since taking office with complete control of the federal government. They're suddenly too concerned with protecting big government power, unfortunately.
Support is waning regrettably. .....really hopeful!


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
LWC
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
I don't put one bit of it on Trump. The Republican congress even when in power has proved to be worthless. There are certain things that have to be signed into law via congress. Trump is trying to do what he said he would, activist judges and a congress that needs to be horsewhipped to get the simplest of tasks accomplished are impeding progress.

What scares me about the tax plan is it is cost effective over time. At first tax receipts will decrease causing a larger budget deficit year to year. After a few years the boom to the economy that they tax cuts intended will come through. By then if the dems are back in charge they wont used the surplus to pay down the debt one bit, they will see it as a reason to spend even more. Republicrats will most likely do the same.
How can you not put any of this on Trump? He is the greatest deal maker of all time! Either he is not trying hard enough to get a deal done or he doesn't want to get it done. No other possibility.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #11
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
How can you not put any of this on Trump? He is the greatest deal maker of all time! Either he is not trying hard enough to get a deal done or he doesn't want to get it done. No other possibility.
dealing with business men is a completely different thing than dealing with elected officials
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
J Sweet
Pope & Young
 
J Sweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The Woodlands
Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
How can you not put any of this on Trump? He is the greatest deal maker of all time! Either he is not trying hard enough to get a deal done or he doesn't want to get it done. No other possibility.
Is he the one saying no? Or is it congress and judges?
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
Johnny
Pope & Young
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default

Sigh...No matter what you do, people will find a reason to ***** and complain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #14
Shane
Pope & Young
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abilene, TX
Hunt In: Mismatched camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Is he the one saying no? Or is it congress and judges?
On the Obamacare repeal failure, it was GOP leadership and Trump that said no. The Freedom Caucus were arguing for the repeal of Obamacare that Trump and all the others in the GOP campaigned on last year. Trump and Ryan said no. Then they went even further and said they would target the Freedom Caucus members in the next primary election, saying the Freedom Caucus is the enemy and must be defeated because they wanted to repeal Obamacare and don't want to replace with something with a different name that is the same thing as Obamacare. Trump went further to say that he would start dealing with the Democrats to "fix" Obamacare.

On the border wall, the GOP and Trump have both caved before a vote could even be called. They seem to want to keep the Democrats from throwing a hissy fit over it.

It doesn't appear that Trump and the GOP leadership are committed to many of the things they campaigned on last year. Personally, this does not come as a shock to me at all, as it has always been obvious that this would be the case. But it's still disappointing.

There have been some positives here and there - especially with the nomination of Gorsuch. That was awesome. I'll give them that for sure. But there have been several large negatives as well.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #15
BertramBass
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Hunt In: Coleman County
Default

Sheeze... It can't be Trump's fault, because it's O'bama's. And Hitlary, and the libturds, and let's not forget California...
BertramBass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
On the Obamacare repeal failure, it was GOP leadership and Trump that said no. The Freedom Caucus were arguing for the repeal of Obamacare that Trump and all the others in the GOP campaigned on last year. Trump and Ryan said no. Then they went even further and said they would target the Freedom Caucus members in the next primary election, saying the Freedom Caucus is the enemy and must be defeated because they wanted to repeal Obamacare and don't want to replace with something with a different name that is the same thing as Obamacare. Trump went further to say that he would start dealing with the Democrats to "fix" Obamacare.

On the border wall, the GOP and Trump have both caved before a vote could even be called. They seem to want to keep the Democrats from throwing a hissy fit over it.

It doesn't appear that Trump and the GOP leadership are committed to many of the things they campaigned on last year. Personally, this does not come as a shock to me at all, as it has always been obvious that this would be the case. But it's still disappointing.

There have been some positives here and there - especially with the nomination of Gorsuch. That was awesome. I'll give them that for sure. But there have been several large negatives as well.
I align with this completely, just the facts of where we are. Thank You for "seeing" the forest for the trees! I am still hopeful that he succeeds in the areas that make sense for the nation as everyone will be affected.........all the ancillary stuff is really making things even more difficult!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #17
Shane
Pope & Young
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abilene, TX
Hunt In: Mismatched camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
I align with this completely, just the facts of where we are. Thank You for "seeing" the forest for the trees! I am still hopeful that he succeeds in the areas that make sense for the nation as everyone will be affected.........all the ancillary stuff is really making things even more difficult!
I absolutely hope Trump succeeds in doing good things for the nation. I hope he has great success in that and is reelected because of it in 2020. But I'm not gonna blindly worship him and try to convince myself that he can do no wrong. He's doing some things right so far for sure, but he's dang sure doing some things wrong too. Ignoring that isn't going to help anything.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
J Sweet
Pope & Young
 
J Sweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The Woodlands
Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
On the Obamacare repeal failure, it was GOP leadership and Trump that said no. The Freedom Caucus were arguing for the repeal of Obamacare that Trump and all the others in the GOP campaigned on last year. Trump and Ryan said no. Then they went even further and said they would target the Freedom Caucus members in the next primary election, saying the Freedom Caucus is the enemy and must be defeated because they wanted to repeal Obamacare and don't want to replace with something with a different name that is the same thing as Obamacare. Trump went further to say that he would start dealing with the Democrats to "fix" Obamacare.

On the border wall, the GOP and Trump have both caved before a vote could even be called. They seem to want to keep the Democrats from throwing a hissy fit over it.

It doesn't appear that Trump and the GOP leadership are committed to many of the things they campaigned on last year. Personally, this does not come as a shock to me at all, as it has always been obvious that this would be the case. But it's still disappointing.

There have been some positives here and there - especially with the nomination of Gorsuch. That was awesome. I'll give them that for sure. But there have been several large negatives as well.
Shane, these are the "failures" most often outlined as I see them;

Border wall: Must be funded by congress, Trump made the proposal to congress, they said no. Without funding the project does not move forward. So what can Trump do inside the constitution to pay for it? Nothing.

Health care replacement: First and foremost I am a proponent of letting it die on its own so this isn't a "failure" in my eyes but it is for the President. Again, this has to be a congressional action and they as a whole couldn't come to a consensus. So what can Trump do inside the constitution to pay for it? Nothing.

Travel Ban: Trump instituted it, activist judges shut it down twice.

Sanctuary City funding cuts: Trump instituted it, activist judges shut it down.


I do not believe that Trump is in cahoots with congress to deceive the public by saying he wants them but secretly working with Paul Ryan to make sure they don't have the votes.




In the end of it besides these "failures" in the first 100 days we have at a minimum:

1. A constitutionalist on the SCOTUS (probably at least one more to come in this term)

2. Border crossings by illegals down by 2/3rds.

3. Constant meetings with heads of industry and then executive orders following advice from such which has shown increasing job numbers in the US

4. Dow Jones over 21,000.00

5. Countless regulations rescinded affecting the economy negatively.


For just the 5 items here I give him an A plus.

Last edited by J Sweet; 04-26-2017 at 02:38 PM..
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #19
BertramBass
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Hunt In: Coleman County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I absolutely hope Trump succeeds in doing good things for the nation. I hope he has great success in that and is reelected because of it in 2020. But I'm not gonna blindly worship him and try to convince myself that he can do no wrong. He's doing some things right so far for sure, but he's dang sure doing some things wrong too. Ignoring that isn't going to help anything.
Absolutely!
BertramBass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #20
LWC
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
dealing with business men is a completely different thing than dealing with elected officials
I don't disagree that it is different. But it will be a long 4 years for him if he can't figure out how to deal with politicians. Either that or we fire all the current politicians and replace them with business men. Which I would not be opposed to, but is not likely to happen.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #21
J Sweet
Pope & Young
 
J Sweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The Woodlands
Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default

A plus.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/100-days
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #22
LWC
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Sigh...No matter what you do, people will find a reason to ***** and complain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
and Vice Versa
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #23
Johnny
Pope & Young
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Yes it does. Trickle down economics or voodoo economics.


I am prayful at best!!



Support is waning regrettably. .....really hopeful!


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Support is waning from who, you?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #24
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
I don't disagree that it is different. But it will be a long 4 years for him if he can't figure out how to deal with politicians. Either that or we fire all the current politicians and replace them with business men. Which I would not be opposed to, but is not likely to happen.
Yep, not gonna happen so he needs to use his self acclaimed "skills" to make it happen for the folks that support the goals that are valid. I doubt the citizenry gives a rats crap about who he has to deal with to come thru on his campaign promises.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #25
M16
Pope & Young
 
M16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Support is waning from who, you?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I think he voted for Hillary so that shouldn't be the case.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #26
Shane
Pope & Young
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abilene, TX
Hunt In: Mismatched camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Shane, these are the "failures" most often outlined as I see them;

Border wall: Must be funded by congress, Trump made the proposal to congress, they said no. Without funding the project does not move forward. So what can Trump do inside the constitution to pay for it? Nothing.

Health care replacement: First and foremost I am a proponent of letting it die on its own so this isn't a "failure" in my eyes but it is for the President. Again, this has to be a congressional action and they as a whole couldn't come to a consensus. So what can Trump do inside the constitution to pay for it? Nothing.

Travel Ban: Trump instituted it, activist judges shut it down twice.

Sanctuary City funding cuts: Trump instituted it, activist judges shut it down.


I do not believe that Trump is in cahoots with congress to deceive the public by saying he wants them but secretly working with Paul Ryan to make sure they don't have the votes.




In the end of it besides these "failures" in the first 100 days we have at a minimum:

1. A constitutionalist on the SCOTUS (probably at least one more to come in this term)

2. Border crossings by illegals down by 2/3rds.

3. Constant meetings with heads of industry and then executive orders following advice from such which has shown increasing job numbers in the US

4. Dow Jones over 21,000.00

5. Countless regulations rescinded affecting the economy negatively.


For just the 5 items here I give him an A plus.
On the border wall, as soon as the Democrats said they wouldn't vote for any spending bill that included funding for a border wall and they'd "shut down the government" over it, Trump's administration came out and said that he'd go ahead and agree to a spending bill that left the wall out (even though we don't need a single Democrat vote to pass anything). Instant cave.

On the Obamacare repeal, the best thing to do would be to repeal it completely and immediately. Letting it slowly die just makes things worse for longer. And repealing it is what Trump and the GOP all promised they'd do last year. Now that they have the power to do it, they won't. There are some in the GOP that actually do want to repeal it, and there are some that said they wanted repeal but clearly don't want to repeal it. Trump sided with the part of the GOP (establishment leadership) that doesn't want to repeal it, and he literally said the other folks in the GOP that did want to repeal it are the enemy. He had a chance to pick sides and lead, and he chose the wrong side and lead the wrong direction on that issue.

Those are too huge failures, and both cases illustrate clearly that neither Trump nor the GOP leadership are committed to their promises on those issues. There's not any credible way to spin it otherwise.

The Gorsuch nomination and confirmation was a great thing. It showed what can happen when you have the power AND the will to use the power to accomplish what you want. You get your way when you want to when you have the power. There's no excuse for them to not get the same kind of result with repealing Obamacare, the border wall, tax cuts, or anything else. They have to power to accomplish every single thing they promised in the campaign if they actually want to follow through on it.

Dropping the big bomb on ISIS and dealing decisively with North Korea and working to reduce regulations are all good things, and I absolutely give Trump and his administration credit for those. It's awesome to see those kinds of things being done. But that just makes it that much more frustrating to watch them make half-hearted efforts on big issues like repealing Obamacare. If they wanted to succeed on that, they would.

That doesn't mean they haven't done some good things. But the fact that they've done some good things doesn't mean that they haven't blown it big time on some things either. That's all I'm saying. Making excuses for them and ignoring that fact doesn't change anything, and it sure doesn't do anything to encourage them to not sell us out on other things.

Let's not blindly worship "our guy" the way all the liberals worshiped Obama and convinced themselves that he could do no wrong. That's not healthy for either side, is it?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #27
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
That doesn't mean they haven't done some good things. But the fact that they've done some good things doesn't mean that they haven't blown it big time on some things either. That's all I'm saying. Making excuses for them and ignoring that fact doesn't change anything, and it sure doesn't do anything to encourage them to not sell us out on other things.

Let's not blindly worship "our guy" the way all the liberals worshiped Obama and convinced themselves that he could do no wrong. That's not healthy for either side, is it?
Everyone knows that is all you are saying. Nothing wrong with that at all, just where we are. Sadly, it wont be perceived like that. I definitely give credit where it is due as you noted, but this blind worship is downright bizarre. It is a disease that both sides really need to cure if we as a nation are going to "be great again".....which I have been waiting on for decades!!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #28
Johnny
Pope & Young
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default

Great post Shane. I don't have time to get long winded but will point out that your post pretty much sums up my thoughts on Trump and his admin pretty well on what they have accomplished and what they are working on accomplishing. What are we, just approaching the end of April here? lol

People are just chomping at the bit waiting for him to screw up. From what you posted, he has come a long ways in a very short period of time and now has us pointed in a positive direction. Onward...

It sure feels good to be an American again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #29
Cajun shooter
Eight Point
 
Cajun shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Oakwood
Default

I'd like to know who on here has a cooperation who has averaged over a five to ten year period paying 35, 25, 20, 15% federal corporate income taxes?

I for one after paying myself and everyone else and all of my expenses never pay that much.

I think this whole thing is a joke. I'd be willing to bet that Trumps corporations have hardly ever paid over 15%.

Middle income families are going to get a bigger tax credit but if they have business expenses and mortgage expenses this won't mean anything to them either.

I'm all for Trump and reducing government and pumping up the economy by reducing taxes and regulations but this isn't going to do it. On top of that, the minute we get a change of congress and/or White House it all goes right back where it has been. Big deal!

They need to get rid of all income taxes, abolish the IRS and have a national sales tax so that everyone has to pay in. Even your local pimp and drug lord.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajun shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #30
LWC
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Great post Shane. I don't have time to get long winded but will point out that your post pretty much sums up my thoughts on Trump and his admin pretty well on what they have accomplished and what they are working on accomplishing. What are we, just approaching the end of April here? lol

People are just chomping at the bit waiting for him to screw up. From what you posted, he has come a long ways in a very short period of time and now has us pointed in a positive direction. Onward...

It sure feels good to be an American again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I too agree that it is a great post by Shane. Shane is very knowledgeable and points out both the positive and negative aspects of the admin. It seems that many of his hardcore supporters ignore the negative points. I think it is important that we recognize both and make sure the admin does what is right for the people. How can we expect Trump to change his tune on repealing Obamacare if all his supporters think he is doing a great job, related to healthcare. We can be supportive of the positive issues and critical of the negative issues......at the same time. We don't have to say everything he does is great or everything the left does is awful. Both do good and bad things at times.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #31
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Sigh...No matter what you do, people will find a reason to ***** and complain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Which is why I kept demanding these Trump haters tell us what they want Trump to do or how much he needs to get done from the pre-election promises list before they stop complaining... But of course they flip flopped all over and never gave a direct answer. They know he's getting more done than any other President ever...but just can't admit it.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #32
J Sweet
Pope & Young
 
J Sweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The Woodlands
Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
On the border wall, as soon as the Democrats said they wouldn't vote for any spending bill that included funding for a border wall and they'd "shut down the government" over it, Trump's administration came out and said that he'd go ahead and agree to a spending bill that left the wall out (even though we don't need a single Democrat vote to pass anything). Instant cave.

On the Obamacare repeal, the best thing to do would be to repeal it completely and immediately. Letting it slowly die just makes things worse for longer. And repealing it is what Trump and the GOP all promised they'd do last year. Now that they have the power to do it, they won't. There are some in the GOP that actually do want to repeal it, and there are some that said they wanted repeal but clearly don't want to repeal it. Trump sided with the part of the GOP (establishment leadership) that doesn't want to repeal it, and he literally said the other folks in the GOP that did want to repeal it are the enemy. He had a chance to pick sides and lead, and he chose the wrong side and lead the wrong direction on that issue.

Those are too huge failures, and both cases illustrate clearly that neither Trump nor the GOP leadership are committed to their promises on those issues. There's not any credible way to spin it otherwise.

The Gorsuch nomination and confirmation was a great thing. It showed what can happen when you have the power AND the will to use the power to accomplish what you want. You get your way when you want to when you have the power. There's no excuse for them to not get the same kind of result with repealing Obamacare, the border wall, tax cuts, or anything else. They have to power to accomplish every single thing they promised in the campaign if they actually want to follow through on it.

Dropping the big bomb on ISIS and dealing decisively with North Korea and working to reduce regulations are all good things, and I absolutely give Trump and his administration credit for those. It's awesome to see those kinds of things being done. But that just makes it that much more frustrating to watch them make half-hearted efforts on big issues like repealing Obamacare. If they wanted to succeed on that, they would.

That doesn't mean they haven't done some good things. But the fact that they've done some good things doesn't mean that they haven't blown it big time on some things either. That's all I'm saying. Making excuses for them and ignoring that fact doesn't change anything, and it sure doesn't do anything to encourage them to not sell us out on other things.

Let's not blindly worship "our guy" the way all the liberals worshiped Obama and convinced themselves that he could do no wrong. That's not healthy for either side, is it?


Blind worship? Your memory fails you sir as does Landrovers. I have been far from a worshiper of trump. But ill take my blindness elsewhere. Wouldnt want to upset the omniscient


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #33
lilavidhunter
Ten Point
 
lilavidhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gulf Freeway Oaks
Hunt In: Telephone Road
Default

Back to the Tax Cuts Issue.

What I am seeing is that the Mortgage Interest Deduction and Charity Contributions will still be deductible.

If Property Taxes are not deductible, I'm screwed.

Any thoughts on this?
lilavidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #34
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun shooter View Post
I'd like to know who on here has a cooperation who has averaged over a five to ten year period paying 35, 25, 20, 15% federal corporate income taxes?

I for one after paying myself and everyone else and all of my expenses never pay that much.

I think this whole thing is a joke. I'd be willing to bet that Trumps corporations have hardly ever paid over 15%.

Middle income families are going to get a bigger tax credit but if they have business expenses and mortgage expenses this won't mean anything to them either.

I'm all for Trump and reducing government and pumping up the economy by reducing taxes and regulations but this isn't going to do it. On top of that, the minute we get a change of congress and/or White House it all goes right back where it has been. Big deal!

They need to get rid of all income taxes, abolish the IRS and have a national sales tax so that everyone has to pay in. Even your local pimp and drug lord.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regrettably, we have paid that much over the last 4 to 6 years or so. It is shameful to be a small business (S-Corp) to be hit in mid to high 30 percentile year after stinking year! Total ripoff on multiple levels........I laugh when folks post what they are hit with from the IRS.......I am happy to trade with them. The current biggest issue is the way it is being presented at this point, seems to be geared towards C-Corps.......that would be a travesty as that would surely key in on larger organizations.......not small biz owners for the most part!
I agree with INCOME TAXES should be eliminated as it has only been around since the early 1900's.......what a scam!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
I too agree that it is a great post by Shane. Shane is very knowledgeable and points out both the positive and negative aspects of the admin. It seems that many of his hardcore supporters ignore the negative points. I think it is important that we recognize both and make sure the admin does what is right for the people. How can we expect Trump to change his tune on repealing Obamacare if all his supporters think he is doing a great job, related to healthcare. We can be supportive of the positive issues and critical of the negative issues......at the same time. We don't have to say everything he does is great or everything the left does is awful. Both do good and bad things at times.
Kinda normal ain't it. For some reason that is not logical anymore but that is the reality.
As Tucker Carlson keeps saying, the president is far from a conservative and ran as a populist. That worked for him and I congratulate him on getting that part of the game completed. Now lets finish the game!Expecting to fulfill all that hyperbole during the campaign ain't gonna happen but the things that are important to the nation should be focused on and accomplished. Ain't a negative or a positive statement, just what it is.
I for one won't even judge a stupid 100 days like folks are doing. Heck, my phone showed FOX saying it was 100 days with "mixed results", along with the BBC and CNN. It is a silly standard from the Roosevelt era at best. More importantly, just do the peoples work based on the landscape you are presented and stop griping about it..........I am pulling for him as it affects the heck outta Americans that need forward movement!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #35
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Blind worship? Your memory fails you sir as does Landrovers. I have been far from a worshiper of trump. But ill take my blindness elsewhere. Wouldnt want to upset the omniscient


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truth! Honestly, i have never mentioned anyone, I have only asked folks to look at things from every possible angle no matter what nitwit you voted for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilavidhunter View Post
Back to the Tax Cuts Issue.

What I am seeing is that the Mortgage Interest Deduction and Charity Contributions will still be deductible.

If Property Taxes are not deductible, I'm screwed.

Any thoughts on this?
Sadly, it appears to be tweaked every time a panel discusses it. Moving target and sadly a boat load of Repubs are NOT supporting the tax cut plan!

Last edited by Landrover; 04-26-2017 at 07:35 PM..
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #36
Shane
Pope & Young
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abilene, TX
Hunt In: Mismatched camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Blind worship? Your memory fails you sir as does Landrovers. I have been far from a worshiper of trump. But ill take my blindness elsewhere. Wouldnt want to upset the omniscient


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't mean to offend you, brother. I apologize if I did.

I knew better than to post on this thread. All it's good for is making enemies any more. Not my intention.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #37
sir shovelhands
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
They know he's getting more done than any other President ever...but just can't admit it.
That title still belongs to FDR. Trumps 28 minor bills pales in comparison in both the amount and impact had by the 78 FDR passed in his first 100 days.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #38
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shovelhands View Post
That title still belongs to FDR. Trumps 28 minor bills pales in comparison in both the amount and impact had by the 78 FDR passed in his first 100 days.
Many economists will trll you that FDR's bills prolonged the depression much longer than it needed to be. It may have seemed like a good thing at the time but he did not do the country economic favors.

Last edited by flywise; 04-26-2017 at 10:23 PM..
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 10:22 PM   #39
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shovelhands View Post
That title still belongs to FDR. Trumps 28 minor bills pales in comparison in both the amount and impact had by the 78 FDR passed in his first 100 days.
Actually, not bills that went thru the process to become laws. All of them are executive orders. Going to have to start governing as you can only do so many of those and run this country.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #40
Johnny
Pope & Young
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default

Armchair quarterbacks, gotta love em.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 06:16 AM   #41
sir shovelhands
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Many economists will trll you that FDR's bills prolonged the depression much longer than it needed to be. It may have seemed like a good thing at the time but he did not do the country economic favors.
I was merely pointing out the quantity of legislation passed by FDR, not making a pronouncement on the quality. By "impact", I was implying how much change they caused: good or bad.

Last edited by sir shovelhands; 04-27-2017 at 06:19 AM..
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #42
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shovelhands View Post
I was merely pointing out the quantity of legislation passed by FDR, not making a pronouncement on the quality. By "impact", I was implying how much change they caused: good or bad.
I was not trying to be critical of your post, just making a point that quantity does
Not mean quality.
Id rather Trump keep the course with executive orders removing obamas legacy than spending his time getting bills passed.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #43
J Sweet
Pope & Young
 
J Sweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The Woodlands
Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I didn't mean to offend you, brother. I apologize if I did.

I knew better than to post on this thread. All it's good for is making enemies any more. Not my intention.
No enemies, water under the bridge.
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #44
LWC
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I was not trying to be critical of your post, just making a point that quantity does
Not mean quality.
Id rather Trump keep the course with executive orders removing obamas legacy than spending his time getting bills passed.
This is the best plan I've heard in a while. It is high time that our presidents bypass congress and start doing what is right for the country. Only downside I see is if we get a president elected that doesn't share our values or one that does not have the country's best interest at heart. Other than that, I don't really see a downside. Congress is just a bunch of obstructionists anyway. Wonder what it would take to get rid of that whole system?
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #45
tps7742
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Default

As the old saying goes, checks have been written that he can't cash at this time. He will need help passing measures to help our country.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #46
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
This is the best plan I've heard in a while. It is high time that our presidents bypass congress and start doing what is right for the country. Only downside I see is if we get a president elected that doesn't share our values or one that does not have the country's best interest at heart. Other than that, I don't really see a downside. Congress is just a bunch of obstructionists anyway. Wonder what it would take to get rid of that whole system?
A King..........redo to 1776!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #47
LWC
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
A King..........redo to 1776!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
It is a good thing our founders looked ahead to the future....and not just to what was best for THEM and their families in the 1700's. They were trying to make a government for the people, with checks and balances, that would stand the test of time. I think they did a pretty dang good job. And as long as the government recognizes and governs according to the constitution, we should be in good shape. But we are seeing less and less of this as time goes by. It will ultimately be our downfall. Hopefully that is not for a very long time.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #48
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
It is a good thing our founders looked ahead to the future....and not just to what was best for THEM and their families in the 1700's. They were trying to make a government for the people, with checks and balances, that would stand the test of time. I think they did a pretty dang good job. And as long as the government recognizes and governs according to the constitution, we should be in good shape. But we are seeing less and less of this as time goes by. It will ultimately be our downfall. Hopefully that is not for a very long time.
Term limits fixes a huge percentage of the comcerns. Go home after serving and get a dang job......not sit in DC for 20+ years and lifelong benefits.....just sooo wrong!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com