Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 04-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX
Default Passenger forcible removed from flight

I did a search but didn't see anything on this yet. Pretty crazy video, not real sure what to think. Basically a flight was overbooked and after nobody volunteered they tried to force a passenger off. The passenger refused to give his seat up so he was dragged from the plane.

http://www.kgw.com/mb/news/man-pulle...ille/430072613
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

I saw that earlier.............just a crazy story. Gotta be more to this deal...I assume!
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I saw that on tv. It didn't make much sense probably more to the story maybe ??? If not it's gonna cost them more than a $400 voucher.
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: A cute outfit

Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
SBXT
Nubbin' Buck

Lawsuit pending
SBXT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx

Meh...I go through the same thing every morning getting the kids ready for school.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #7
Tazman70
Four Point

Hunt In: Sheridan

They picked on an old asian man thinking that he'll go quietly. Man they were wrong. Hope he comes back and sue their pants off.
Tazman70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
CaptainDave
Ten Point

I read the airline needed to dead-head a crew to the next destination and there were not enough takers on the vouchers offered as the flight was overbooked to begin with. Apparently, a couple passengers were selected randomly and this guy was one of them. He refused to exit the aircraft.

On the surface, pretty cruddy deal to force a passenger off the plane post boarding. I'm sure a lot of people would have been ****** too. Perhaps not to that extent of needing to be forcibly removed though!
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
outlook8
Eight Point

Hunt In: nowhere, anywhere i get invited

I can guarantee you that if I had paid for a seat on that plane and didn't want to take a later flight, they would have to drag me out kicking and screaming too...not any passengers fault united didn't plan ahead!
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #10
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Ok, .......got a little more info.
Flight overbooked by 4 people. They needed 4 seat for United employees that needed to get to another hub. United went in and chose 4 folks to leave the flight. The guy was a doctor needing to get to Louisville to see patients in the morning....oops.......bad move!!!! This wont end well for United Airlines.
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #11
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

I am pretty sure that I would own that airplane after that!
CastAndBlast is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #12
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

They should have started offering cash or vouchers and just upped the number until they got enough takers. Dragging a guy screaming from the plane isn't the best PR move an airline ever made.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #13
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

It was handled poorly to begin with and only got worse as it went along. I don't think that Delta will be happy in the end and from the way the guy was treated I can see a lawsuit and a public relations nightmare for them.
iamntxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #14
BrokenJ
Eight Point

They should have chartered a private jet to fly the 4 crew members. That's a bad move for United. Hope that guy sues the dog out of them.
BrokenJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #15
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

He must have drawn shortest straw....seriously though must be more to it than just random selection & he gone
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #16
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Ok, .......got a little more info.
Flight overbooked by 4 people. They needed 4 seat for United employees that needed to get to another hub. United went in and chose 4 folks to leave the flight. The guy was a doctor needing to get to Louisville to see patients in the morning....oops.......bad move!!!! This wont end well for United Airlines.
Pretty much what I've heard.

CEO of United earned $11.3 million in salary last year. I hereby award the Plaintiff that salary times 10. Any attempt by United to delay immediate payment will result in its board members held in contempt of GS court, and will be confined to county jail until the settlement is paid and will not be released until 180 days are served.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #17
HogHunter34
Ten Point

United is at fault for overbooking flight IMO. Then you random select & if necessary drag someone off the plane? Is that their contingency plan in their overbooked flight policy? Wow
Old 04-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #18
wacm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coldwater, KS. unit 16

That's crazy! Just rent the four employees a car and send them to Louisville.
It said they didn't have to be there until Monday, it's 4.5 hrs from Chicago to Louisville. Give them the $800 for the screw up an everybody is happy. An nobody gets sued! They should fire everybody involved.
wacm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #19
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post
Pretty much what I've heard.

CEO of United earned $11.3 million in salary last year. I hereby award the Plaintiff that salary times 10. Any attempt by United to delay immediate payment will result in its board members held in contempt of GS court, and will be confined to county jail until the settlement is paid and will not be released until 180 days are served.
I agree that it was a horrible move by United, but I have to disagree that there were millions of dollars worth of "damages" done to the passenger. And no I have no idea what this man is owed for this type of treatment.

I say we add United to the TBH boycott list.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #20
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bastrop & Mason Cty

Lol...alot of you folks must not fly much...all airlines overbook as a normal course of business...status, then cheapest seat gets the boot typically

Before taking any action...may want to read the applicable airline's contract of carriage(which one agrees to when the ticket is purchased), i suspect you'll be left with a legal bill as opposed to any settlement...vouchers, miles,etc are offered as a customer courtesy for inconvenience...no more/no less

Last edited by RodinaRanč; 04-10-2017 at 06:16 PM..
RodinaRanč is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlook8 View Post
I can guarantee you that if I had paid for a seat on that plane and didn't want to take a later flight, they would have to drag me out kicking and screaming too...not any passengers fault united didn't plan ahead!
Lol...they do plan. That plan includes %'s for delays, no shows, cancellations, standby, etc.....all factor into that plan...if they only sold the seats on the plane airfare would be unaffordable for alot of folks & 5-10% of each plane's seats would be empty
Old 04-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #22
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Is it possible he was flying stand by ?
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #23
AddisonOil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion County

America!
AddisonOil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #24
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

They wouldn't approve standby passengers if already in an oversold position...now they should have addressed the oversold position before boarding...but the result is the same

Last edited by RodinaRanč; 04-10-2017 at 06:17 PM..
Old 04-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #25
AddisonOil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodinaRan View Post
Lol...alot of you folks must not fly much...all airlines overbook as a normal course of business...status, then cheapest seat gets the boot typically

Before taking any action...may want to read the applicable airline's contract of carriage(which one agrees to when the ticket is purchased), i suspect you'll be left with a legal bill & as opposed to any settlement...vouchers, miles,etc are offered as a customer courtesy for inconvenience...no more/no less

I heard from someone that flys a lot for business that there's a ton of fine print when purchasing an airline ticket.
AddisonOil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #26
ladrones
Pope & Young

Those LEO'S sure did a fine job keeping the peace for United.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #27
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

I'm a million miler on 2 different airlines...once you have status...fine print doesn't really matter all airlines "gamble" on filling every plane they put in the air
Old 04-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #28
8mpg
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodinaRanč View Post

Before taking any action...may want to read the applicable airline's contract of carriage(which one agrees to when the ticket is purchased), i suspect you'll be left with a legal bill as opposed to any settlement...vouchers, miles,etc are offered as a customer courtesy for inconvenience...no more/no less
Im not sure but their rules say but they can deny boarding. We can argue...but he was already boarded and in his seat.

Its amazing they did this to move their own employees...I will never fly United over this incident. I think it is INSANE. This wasnt for "overselling" it was for company convenience

Read online that the police officer that helped remove him has been suspended temporarily as they investigate.

Last edited by 8mpg; 04-10-2017 at 06:27 PM..
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #29
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
They should have started offering cash or vouchers and just upped the number until they got enough takers. Dragging a guy screaming from the plane isn't the best PR move an airline ever made.
This. I was flying east to Rhode Island and flight was overbooked . They asked any interested persons to go to th checkin desk. Heck I went to see the offer. After negotiations got booked on a later flight, first class, got to wait in their frequent fliers vip lounge with free food and drinks and got a $200 gift card. Heck I thought I won the lottery.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #30
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

& putting their resources on that plane & preserving another entire flight is bad business i guess

Wonder if the folks on the flight that was preserved b/c their flight resources were there on time to fly them to their destination would agree? Keep one guy on so another flight of 250 is cancelled...
Old 04-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #31
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm a million miler on 2 different airlines...once you have status...fine print doesn't really matter
So, it's ok for some other passenger to get the short end of the stick as it wouldn't happen to you?

Airline should have just upped the voucher until they had a taker. Few hundred more probably would have done it.

I don't care if a voucher is considered a courtesy. The airline should compensate if overbooking bites them in the rear. Also, stating airline tickets would cost a lot more if airlines didn't overbook is somewhat BS. Airline tickets cost what consumers are willing to pay. If it wasn't affordable, the amount of people flying would decrease substantially.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #32
8mpg
Eight Point

Quote:
& putting their resources on that plane & preserving another entire flight is bad business i guess

Wonder if the folks on the flight that was preserved b/c their flight resources were there on time to fly them to their destination would agree? Keep one guy on so another flight of 250 is cancelled...
Plan ahead...take out the 4 seats from allocation before selling.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #33
SBXT
Nubbin' Buck

Whoever involved security should be in the unemployment line
SBXT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #34
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

It happened to me plenty...it's called customer loyalty....if you owned the airline, would you prefer me happy ....or the guy that buys the $300 ticket once every 5 years? Ignorance of a contract is well...ignorance. Don't like the policy...don't buy the ticket
Old 04-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #35
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Never flown United, never will.... No matter what happened, in today's society, public perception is EVERYTHING! Media blasts a dude getting drug off a plane for overbooking and bloodied...it ain't gonna be good for anyone....
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #36
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Plan ahead...take out the 4 seats from allocation before selling.
& what abt the 5 guys that finish work early & hop on standby for earlier flight, the guy who had a flat tire & missed the flight, the 10 folks affect by weather delays...if you owned the airline...you would just take less margin on every flight i guess when you Know these things happen...lol

Last edited by RodinaRanč; 04-10-2017 at 06:36 PM..
Old 04-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #37
Puggy625
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS

I'm not sure what to think about how this was handled but my guess is that United fubar'd it from the get-go.

Yall remember the 2 girls that got kicked off the plane for wearing leggings a few weeks ago and all the hubbub about that? Well, they were flying on an employee credit program (not sure of the exact name, but my daughter is a FA for AA so I'm somewhat familiar with it). Well, you basically get to fly "as an employee" and the cost of the ticket is just whatever the taxes are. BUT, you are on standby and are bumped if need be, AND there is a dress code that you MUST adhere to in using this "perk". These girls didn't adhere to it as leggings are not permitted under that dress code(shorts/flip flops aren't either). They got booted and raised hell on social media about it. Sorry, you didn't follow the rules. And guess what, the employee looses that "family discount" because of your actions. Sucks for the employee and for you not getting to fly cheap anymore, but follow the rules and there won't be a problem.
Puggy625 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #38
wacm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coldwater, KS. unit 16

Quote:

I think you are reading more into I then what it is. The link said they needed to be in Louisville by Monday. It's a 4.5 hour drive from Chicago. I do not believe another flight was in jeopardy.
wacm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #39
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Lol...i really don't think i am....there's more to airline capacity planning than seats on a plane & all airlines are proficient in capacity planning...if they weren't...they wouldn't be in business.

It's a multi-threaded calculation that factors in what i said above, crew time outs, overages & ton of other considerations that maximize the possibility of filling every seat on every flight

Last edited by RodinaRanč; 04-10-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Old 04-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #40
Danielson
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
& what abt the 5 guys that finish work early & hop on standby for earlier flight, the guy who had a flat tire & missed the flight, the 10 folks affect by weather delays...if you owned the airline...you would just take less margin on every flight i guess when you Know these things happen...lol
Take a small loss on the one flight or a huge loss due to the bad PR and million dollar law suit. They made a stupid business decision that could have gotten one of their crew members maimed or killed if they had tried to be forceful with the wrong person.
Danielson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #41
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

I would wager...kick'n folks off oversold planes doesn't even register on any airline PnL...it happens all day, every day, multiple times a day on any given airline...consideration is given to those that spend the most...the low man is SOL...just the way it works & rightfully so
Old 04-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #42
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:

They screwed up and they should have chartered a jet to get their crew where they needed to be.
Would have been a hell of a lot cheaper than fixing the PR nightmare they have now

I don't give a rats *** about the next flight, I payed for MY flight.

The old saying " poor planning on your part does not make an emergency on mine" applies here

Bet you would be singing a different tune if you were headed on a once in a lifetime hunt where all of your flights had to line up and they pulled this
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #43
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking for a place

No way a law abiding citizen that's not causing any problems should ever be treated like that.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #44
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Lol..if they chartered planes for every oversold flight...i wouldn't be able to afford a hunt that required a flight...because that flight would probably cost me $25k...lol

Luckily i have enough miles to get me where i wanna hunt for free & zero risk of being kicked off of it...i dont apologize for that ...i paid for & earned that privilege over the last 20yrs of flying

Last edited by RodinaRanč; 04-10-2017 at 06:52 PM..
Old 04-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #45
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
It happened to me plenty...it's called customer loyalty....if you owned the airline, would you prefer me happy ....or the guy that buys the $300 ticket once every 5 years? Ignorance of a contract is well...ignorance. Don't like the policy...don't buy the ticket
Arrogance and bad publicity is even more ignorant and going to cost them more than all $$$ you have ever spent on their flights.

Last edited by BrandonA; 04-10-2017 at 06:56 PM..
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #46
HogHunter34
Ten Point

I'm curious what will stand up in court if legal action is taken
Old 04-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #47
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

This incident is going to cost United a lot more than a chartered flight, or even a full flight the next day. Just referring to the bad publicity.
Kdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #48
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Arrogance and bad publicity is even more ignorant.
Fact of the matter is ...this too will pass & they know it...next time someone books a flight...if united is 20-30% cheaper than the next guy...you will buy it, so will i & a whole host of other folks
Old 04-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #49
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:
I would wager...kick'n folks off oversold planes doesn't even register on any airline PnL...it happens all day, every day, multiple times a day on any given airline...consideration is given to those that spend the most...the low man is SOL...just the way it works & rightfully so
I would wager the airlines budget for a certain level of expected passenger vouchers considering overbooking is not uncommon. It's probably written off as a cost of doing business based on their best execution model for booking flights (or whatever they want to call it).

To me it was just a stupid decision for the airline. Why didn't they just up the voucher until another passenger accepted?
Old 04-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #50
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

As has been said above, overbooking is part of the deal when you fly. You don't have any "right" to that seat - they own the airplane so if they tell you to get off, you get off. You can then decide to never fly United again if you want. The airline handled it poorly, no doubt. They should have upped the bid until they got a taker. Or, the captain says "ok, we are going to sit here until someone gets off" If I was that guy I'm sure I would be angry but I dang sure would not have reacted like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum on the floor at WalMart

Last edited by jerp; 04-10-2017 at 07:40 PM..
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top