Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 02-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Jessebeaux
Nubbin' Buck

Default Tpwd

Hello! I'm new to TEXAS and new to TBH and so far Im enjoying it! I have one more semester of college to pay for then i can hopefully get into a lease but as for now Im researching public land hunting... I have been spending a lot of time on TPWD.com and have purchased an AHP and have a booklet on the way. However, I have begun reviewing the online public land locator map on the TPWD website. It is pretty straight forward and I think I understand my rights, regulations, etc. However i am confused on a few things:
1) The map does not list LBJ grasslands. Only Caddo? why is that? Are they the same?
2) What are E postcard hunts?
3) Is the TPWD rules, regulations, and maps found on the website up to date and reliable?
4) I live in Flower mound (Dfw area) any recommendations on what area i should focus on for archery deer hunting?
5) any tips, tricks or advice on Texas public land hunting i need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance! sorry for the long thread....
Jessebeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
Sideler
Ten Point

I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll tackle 3 and 5.

3. E-postcard hunts- In the past many public areas had hunts that you would apply to by sending them a postcard with your name and info on it. The postcard would be sent directly to the hunt area and not TPWD. The area would then draw the cards until they had the desired amount of hunters.
When TPWD started accepting their own applications online many of the postcard hunt areas decided it was easier to let TPWD handel the draws for them instead of using their own personnel. I believe the E stands for electronic vs the old school mail in postcard.

5.Advice on public lands- know the rules. Every area will have slightly different rules, don't assume because you know the rules for one area that you are good to hunt all areas under those same rules.

Last edited by Sideler; 02-07-2017 at 06:10 PM..
Sideler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
Red_RaiderHTC
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

(1) LBJ grasslands is not one of the TPWD APH required properties. It is a sister property with Caddo national grasslands but they have different regulations. Since no APH required on LBJ it is not listed in TPWD APH booklet.

(3). All aph maps have the dates on the top so as long as dates are current hunting season then it is the current years regs. And regs do change from year to year so always check new maps.

(4) not many areas that allow archery deer around Dallas. Have to go west or east.
Red_RaiderHTC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
Jessebeaux
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideler View Post
I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll tackle 3 and 5.

3. E-postcard hunts- In the past many public areas had hunts that you would apply to by sending them a postcard with your name and info on it. The postcard would be sent directly to the hunt area and not TPWD. The area would then draw the cards until they had the desired amount of hunters.
When TPWD started accepting their own applications online many of the postcard hunt areas decided it was easier to let TPWD handel the draws for them instead of using their own personnel. I believe the E stands for electronic vs the old school mail in postcard.

5.Advice on public lands- know the rules. Every area will have slightly different rules, don't assume because you know the rules for one area that you are good to hunt all areas under those same rules.

So do you have to be drawn with the E card system to hunt that area or does the e card selection give the person special privilege on the land such as rifle hunting, doe tag, etc?
Old 02-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Jessebeaux
Nubbin' Buck

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_RaiderHTC View Post
(1) LBJ grasslands is not one of the TPWD APH required properties. It is a sister property with Caddo national grasslands but they have different regulations. Since no APH required on LBJ it is not listed in TPWD APH booklet.

(3). All aph maps have the dates on the top so as long as dates are current hunting season then it is the current years regs. And regs do change from year to year so always check new maps.

(4) not many areas that allow archery deer around Dallas. Have to go west or east.

Thats interesting,,, but the online TPWD map does not just list APH required properties... It list "every" public hunting land in Texas. However, it does not list LBJ... Weird huh?
Old 02-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
SCREAMINREELS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessebeaux View Post
So do you have to be drawn with the E card system to hunt that area or does the e card selection give the person special privilege on the land such as rifle hunting, doe tag, etc?
Drawn
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
SFAbowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Best thing I can tell you for public land around DFW is know the rules and put your boots on, and get to scouting. Expand your search outside of the APH. There is quite a bit of public land with deer around DFW.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
thorthunder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Welcome......
thorthunder is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #9
Army of Dad
Four Point

Hunt In: Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
Best thing I can tell you for public land around DFW is know the rules and put your boots on, and get to scouting. Expand your search outside of the APH. There is quite a bit of public land with deer around DFW.

What he said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Army of Dad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #10
Jessebeaux
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post

What means would I need to go through to find these lands? Website or what?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #11
SFAbowhunter
Ten Point

Corps of engineers. Websites. Some don't need permits, some are draw, some you can go pick up permits. All of the public land COE and type 2 hold deer, hogs, and other game. You just have to scout and find them. They are there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #12
Philip-TX
Ten Point

TPWD runs the APH program for land it controls WMAs, parks, and the like. There is also lots of OTHER gvmnt land out there, Corps of Engineers land, Nation Forest Service land, BLM, etc. out there

But here is where it can get blurry......

TPWD leases (or used to) or otherwise controls/regulates the hunting on some "other gvmnt lands, COE, NFS, etc which would require APH on TPWD controlled land.........while other COE, NFS, BLM lands might be run by the aforementioned themselves. So it is possible to need a APH on some other agencies property if TPWD is controlling the hunting on that specific property.

Keep digging..... you are off to a good start.
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #13
SFAbowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip-TX View Post
TPWD runs the APH program for land it controls WMAs, parks, and the like. There is also lots of OTHER gvmnt land out there, Corps of Engineers land, Nation Forest Service land, BLM, etc. out there

But here is where it can get blurry......

TPWD leases (or used to) or otherwise controls/regulates the hunting on some "other gvmnt lands, COE, NFS, etc which would require APH on TPWD controlled land.........while other COE, NFS, BLM lands might be run by the aforementioned themselves. So it is possible to need a APH on some other agencies property if TPWD is controlling the hunting on that specific property.

Keep digging..... you are off to a good start.
Good info here. Keep digging. I would be looking through the public hunting section on here and find the threads about different places. Look them up online, see where they're located, read people's responses, etc. That'll give you a good idea what kind of work you're in for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #14
Jessebeaux
Nubbin' Buck

Thank you guys! Anyone point me in right direction of accessing LBJ?
Old 02-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #15
Kirby86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Have bow, will travel

https://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2002/oct/ed_4/
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #16
PermitAG02
Nubbin' Buck

Jesse, whether you realize it or not, you've been given a lot of information from several people above. I guess now you have some homework to do. If you can't find all the information you want in an internet thread, look at the TPWD, USFS, USACOE websites. Still want more, call them on the phone. Visit their offices, etc. I know it's a lot of work figuring these things out because I've spent years getting to where I am today. It's out there. Go find it. Talk to the folks you run into in the field. Observe and learn things. Who knows, maybe you'll learn some news skills that will serve you well not only in your hunting activities but in your profession down the road.

Signed,
A local lurker who doesn't post much.

P.S. Don't post coordinates or unit names when you find the good stuff. Make sure to turn off location services on your phone/camera if you have GPS coordinates on your camera. Industrious folks like me can find coodinates on those sometimes. It's ok to be a bit aloof. The internet is full of people looking to capitalize on your worn boot leather.
PermitAG02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #17
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land, Hill country
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
KIRBY IS ON IT!

***THE LINK ABOVE SHOWS ALL 265 PUBLIC LANDS AVAILABLE TO HUNT IN TEXAS***

I was just looking for this. Kirby86 is leading the way for some of us public land hunters to make our mark and stand up for our public lands. We have just started gathering information and are in the process of trying to get ourselves established.

Below is the thread that got things rolling, if anyone has any extra input, please join in. This is a group effort.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=632493

Last edited by Bigyummy77; 02-16-2017 at 05:01 PM..
Bigyummy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #18
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
KIRBY IS ON IT!

***THE LINK ABOVE SHOWS ALL 265 PUBLIC LANDS AVAILABLE TO HUNT IN TEXAS***

I was just looking for this. Kirby86 is leading the way for some of us public land hunters to make our mark and stand up for our public lands. We have just started gathering information and are in the process of trying to get ourselves established.

Below is the thread that got things rolling, if anyone has any extra input, please join in. This is a group effort.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=632493
I see only 2 problems with the link Kirby posted about the TPWD magazine:
1) Dose not list all the lands available
2) Some of the information is out dated (published in 2002)

It's a good link and will open doors for some who didn't know before, if they investigate.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 02-18-2017 at 09:32 AM..
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top