Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 05-31-2016, 01:46 AM   #1
Eagle19
Ten Point

Hunt In: Every where in Texas
Default Duck boat overhaul

This will be a long going thread over the next year or so. So I bought an alumcraft boat from a fellow TBH'er and its going to be a full overhaul. Its a 1990 super bandit made by alumacraft. Motor was blown, paint was ok from a fishing standpoint, needs a new deck and carpet, new center console, new controls, trolling motor looks broke, and needs new seats. I actually bought this a few months ago but am getting around to work on it.

I was planning on rebuilding the 90hp motor but really I would dump $1000 into it and could still have issues I don't know about. So I figured my best route for now is just to buy a similar motor and use the old one as an extra parts motor. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a 4 stroke but I'm just trying to get it on the water. Going to look at an 1977 85hp Johnson tomorrow, it'll be a pretty good candidate if I can get it for the right price.

I'm going to repaint this bad boy a tree camo. Haven't worked out what colors yet but I want it to look like a stump as much as possible. Today I used aircraft aluminum stripper to pull the paint and decals on the side off. I'm going to the paint on the bottom and transom and just paint over it. After removing paint I found some bad stuff I didn't see before. Somebody was haulin rear in this boat and hit something pretty hard and cracked the hull in the front on both sides. One side looks like it was welded back together, the other side the crack is pretty easy to see. The reason I didn't see it was because it was covered with fiberglass and bondo then paint matched. Luckily it's an aluminum boat and can be fixed. After getting under it and looking even more I found lots of what looks like jb weld. This could be an ok thing or bad thing. It's ok if it doesn't leak, it's going to really suck if it leak and I have to fix the rivet. Luckily I picked this boat up for scrap value basically so I at least have that going for me. I'm just praying they don't leak, and that the welder can weld/fill the cracks. I figure worst case scenario I'll just put fiberglass back over it again.

The interior is rough as stated before. Luckily the carpet comes up super easy and the glue comes off super easy with a flapper disc. The front and rear deck are wood, I'm going to change that to aluminum then put hydroturf over it. The biggest issue I'll have is reframing the decks using aluminum square tubing so it can equal the same thickness as the compartment lids. Won't be hard, just time consuming. I found somebody on Craigslist a while back that has "aluminum composite" or something of that nature for $15 a sheet. I'm thinking about getting two sheets and using that. I've never used it before so if somebody has any input on that please chime in. I need to find another center console, this one is made of half aluminum and half plastic. The plastic is pretty much dilapidated. Not sure if it's work having an aluminum top made or if I should just buy a whole bother center console.

Need new seats, I'll be getting duck camo. Can't decide whether to get single seats or a bench. Single seats are cheaper but I wouldn't mind a bench. I would love to hear preferences from anybody that has one ore the other.

I want to ad a jack plate and pods but the transom has rivets in it so it would be hard to add pods. I can cut the backs out of pods so they could weld it flush but I ant decide if that's a good idea or not. From what I understand jackplate and pods go hand in hand. Opinions on that are needed as well, which one is more bang for your buck?

Add ons that will probably come after this duck season:
Radio
Bow fishing stand
Polling platform
Duck blind(might come before then if the extra cash is there)
LED light bars for bow fishing

Pics to follow!
Eagle19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2016, 01:49 AM   #2
Eagle19
Ten Point

The day I brought it home!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2016, 01:52 AM   #3
Eagle19
Ten Point

A better picture to show some of the interior. Forgot to mention the trailer itself is pretty solid. Got some new rims and tires on the way home that day it was a 3 hour drive. Bearings need to be redone I noticed when I got home. Nothing hard to do though. I'm thinking about bed lining the the whole trailer when I go to paint the boat.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2016, 02:00 AM   #4
Eagle19
Ten Point

Here's a pic from today when I started to strip the paint. I would recommend the air plane stripper and a power washer to everybody! It took 3.5 hours to do both sides but it took a lot of the hard labor out. It's about $40 a gallon, and I used almost all of it on the sides but well worth it. I bought flour thinking it would be thin so I would use flour to help it stick better to the boat. Turns out the flour wasn't needed, it was thick enough as is. I found the best way to apply it was use a few $3 paint brushes and a metal pale. Just paint it on and watch it work. I had to do 3 or 4 passes on each side to get it just about all off. WEAR LONG SLEEVES, GLOVES, RESPERATOR, AND GLASSES. That stuff stings like a bee out of hell. I had shorts on and it got on my knees a few times.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2016, 02:01 AM   #5
Eagle19
Ten Point

Here is the finished product of one side!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2016, 02:04 AM   #6
Eagle19
Ten Point

Here is one of the cracks I found under the fiberglass.

Still haven't cleaned all the fiberglass off of these sections so there could be more!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2016, 02:11 AM   #7
Eagle19
Ten Point

So I bought this paint stencil a while back, and am trying to figure out what colors I'll use. I really like the color scheme on the left. But I think instead of a white I think a grey color should be used to make it look a little more realistic? Thoughts or recommendations?

Also does anybody recommend a durable paint? I could start painting the exterior as early as next weekend so I want to get this paint ordered.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 AM   #8
MarkV
Pope & Young

In for this. Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck. I think pods and a jack plate would sure let this boat get in some skinny water.
MarkV is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
OPC Patrick
Ten Point

I used Parker for the base coat.

Name:  parkers.jpg
Views: 3105
Size:  23.1 KB
OPC Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #10
simsknives
Ten Point

Hunt In: walker, madison, grimes, menard co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle19 View Post
So I bought this paint stencil a while back, and am trying to figure out what colors I'll use. I really like the color scheme on the left. But I think instead of a white I think a grey color should be used to make it look a little more realistic? Thoughts or recommendations?

Also does anybody recommend a durable paint? I could start painting the exterior as early as next weekend so I want to get this paint ordered.

Kem 400 from Sherwin Williams industrial is the professional stuff

Looking great man!

Last edited by simsknives; 05-31-2016 at 07:35 PM..
simsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
navajo76
Six Point

Hunt In: anywhere

should be great when ur done keep pics comin
navajo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #12
cdobbka08
Eight Point

Hunt In: hardin county and any where i can

Tagged
cdobbka08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #13
Derek H.
Four Point

Hunt In: Brazoria&Gonzales County

Keep up the good work.
Derek H. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
Carpe_diem
Eight Point

Hunt In: Taylor, Fisher, Jones Counties and TPW draw hunts

what type of primer are you using on that aluminum?
Carpe_diem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #15
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
what type of primer are you using on that aluminum?
I'm going to use what ever aluminum etching rattle can I can find!
Old 06-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #16
Eagle19
Ten Point

Update: jack71 was gracious enough to hook me up with an 85hp motor. Today is my birthday so I convinced my wife to buy me an engine lift for my birthday. I got her hoisted it and got her started! Took some time but it runs pretty good. The motor is a 1976 so the tilt and trim is kinda bulky so I'm going to try to convert the tilt and trim from my 1990 to make it work. Have no clue if the trim on either one really works but I'll find out soon enough.

Also I'm thinking about switching the lower units of the two. Some of the metal on the lower on the 1976 are broken off. But that maybe something further down the line!

Two of the things that I'll have to fix on this motor are the fuel pump and impeller. They look like they work but as old as the motor is and as long as it's been sitting I would rather put a new one in now rather than later!

If anybody knows the swapping won't work PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!! Pictures to come!
Old 06-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #17
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Tagged
RascalArms is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2016, 12:10 AM   #18
Eagle19
Ten Point

Alright so I worked on the motors today. My plan is to try and swap the steering arm assemblies allowing me to use the better tilt and trim of the two units. I pulled the two lower units off and took the steering assembly off the 85hp. Of course I did it the hard way not realizing the shifts cable runs up the middle of the arm assymbly. So trying to pull the lower unit after pulling all the bolts from the arm assembly is a bad idea. I got it off though and will try to pull the blown 90hp off the boat tomorrow.

Here is a picture of the 76 85hp.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2016, 12:14 AM   #19
Eagle19
Ten Point

I removed these bolts for the steering arm assembly. It's pretty much the same on both motor.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2016, 12:14 AM   #20
Eagle19
Ten Point

Other bolt
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2016, 12:15 AM   #21
Eagle19
Ten Point

An hour and a two hours later I got the lower unit out and the assembly off. Done for the night more to come tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 AM   #22
1shot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill

Tagged for later
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2016, 10:08 PM   #23
Eagle19
Ten Point

So today I took the rest of the blown 90hp motor off the boat. After taking the lower unit off I realized they aren't swappable, not a huge deal. The 85 lower unit just has a chunk missing off the fin, nothing I can't fix by buying plastic fins. After removing the blown motor I measured the brackets of the 90 steering arm assembly to see if it would fit the 85. The top mount will fit but the bottom won't, but good news is all it takes to swap the bottom brackets are just removing a nut and swapping it out.

Here is the tilt trim and steering assembly. After I took the pic I power washed it all to get the grease off since I'll be painting it soon.

I'll work on it more tomorrow as long as it doesn't rain. But it seems like it shouldn't take long! My big obsticle now is wiring the trim under the motor's hood. I have to do that in order to get it to tilt up some more so I can get the lower unit on.

I also decided to buy an aluminum spool gun and some argon, so I'll be doing the welding myself next week.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2016, 01:41 AM   #24
Eagle19
Ten Point

No pictures on today's update, but I want to swap the bottom bracket and of course the old bracket had teeth on it. So I took off the "new" bracket and crossed my fingers that it would fit the teeth...and of course it didn't. So I had to swap the whole arm which took all of 30 seconds to do. I noticed the shafts were two different sizes so I had a feeling this was about to get worse. Sure enough the "new" shaft was too skinny and there is some good amount of play. If I really wanted to I could put the motor on and pump the bracket full of grease. But I'm going the safe route and having some spacers machined. Several tbh'rs have already offered to help. So hopefully I can get it figured out and make it work. It just goes to show that this boat build would've never happened if it weren't for y'all!

In the mean time my spool gun showed up. I just need to find some scrap aluminum to practice with!
Old 07-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #25
Eagle19
Ten Point

So my wife has been complaining about how bad our garage is, so I've been trying to clean it before I go further into the boat. It's a hard task for somebody like me because I always find "new" tools that I forgot I had. So tonight's distraction was camo practice for the boat and cleaning in between layers.

I was going to try a version on green and brown but I just don't see it working. So but I really like the greys and black. I like the white section too but it's almost too busy. I'm thinking about trying a drab color for a base color, then the dark grey and black. Then use the light grey where the white is. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #26
Eagle19
Ten Point

This is the one I like the most.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #27
Carpe_diem
Eight Point

Hunt In: Taylor, Fisher, Jones Counties and TPW draw hunts

looks good, not one of the usual camo patterns.
Carpe_diem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #28
Eagle19
Ten Point

So I've been playing around and going down to the coast to go fishing on the weekends. But now it's crunch time and getting serious, real season is getting close so I need to get this thing on the water! Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish transferring the motor over and get the tilt and trim re-wired up. I have got a delima though, I ordered some seats but I couldn't find any that matched my original color scheme I wanted to do. So I can't decide if I want to match the seats (same pattern different color). Some people have given me grief saying it's just a duck boat. I agree but I want this thing to look custom and not so much like it was pieced together. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #29
Eagle19
Ten Point

Got the motor all mounted up this weekend. My biggest issue was there was too much play in the mount because the arm was off the old motor and not a prefect fit for the newer mount. Thanks to Sean he made me some brass collars to use as spacers! They worked perfectly. My next obstacle was the motor was off by about an 1/8th when I went to put it on the steering arm brackets. But I was able to drill out the holes to make it work. Next I started to add trim buttons to the outside of the motor and transfer over the tilt and trim wiring. It seems like small progress but big steps in the right direction. Waiting on wiring to come as well as a new impeller. Cracks have been welded, I'm going to water test it Friday night just by floating it. I'm thinking about buying some plywood for now just to do the decking and do aluminum in the spring. I can't decide.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2016, 12:37 AM   #30
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

So many options, so little time. I know the feel-n.

Get the basics down, float worthy, and legal. You can do the little things as you go along till the season is over. Then focus on the major changes or things that will take more time after the season. But don't put it off till last second once the season is ove. Or you may miss a season. Teal is just a few weeks away now. No matter the color, it can always be covered with camo fabric.

Personally, with your choice of pattern, I'd use the light brown for background, olive, splotches/patches, and with the black like it is. That would sit great next to an old deadfall or brush in the water. Along with sand or mud. Or a combo of all.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-09-2016 at 12:40 AM..
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #31
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
So many options, so little time. I know the feel-n.

Get the basics down, float worthy, and legal. You can do the little things as you go along till the season is over. Then focus on the major changes or things that will take more time after the season. But don't put it off till last second once the season is ove. Or you may miss a season. Teal is just a few weeks away now. No matter the color, it can always be covered with camo fabric.

Personally, with your choice of pattern, I'd use the light brown for background, olive, splotches/patches, and with the black like it is. That would sit great next to an old deadfall or brush in the water. Along with sand or mud. Or a combo of all.
Yeah that's the goal for now, just get it working out on the water and the outside hull painted. Kinda sucks because I changed jobs and now my pay schedule is a little different and I won't make the real money until November. So I'll have to wait for a Jack plate and a few other things.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #32
Eagle19
Ten Point

Rain stopped just enough to start using the etching primer. I want to paint the whole thing this weekend. Hopefully the rain will hold off at least for a little bit! I've still got lots of wiring to do. I got new controls and making it work with an older motor has required a bit if brain storming.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2016, 10:58 PM   #33
MarkV
Pope & Young

Looking good.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #34
Eagle19
Ten Point

Went to lowes yesterday and couldn't find any flat enamels...the lady at sherwan williams said kem 400 isn't tintable....I call bs but whatever. So I bought some acrylic exterior flat paint, after I camo it I'll put a flat enamel clear coat over it. Put down the first layer today on my lunch break. When I was looking at the forecast everything said it wouldn't rain until 4 so I figured now would be as good as any time to put down a coat. About 2 it started pouring....just my luck! The paint had a little bit over an hour to dry. So I ran home to make sure the paint didn't melt off the boat since its water base and it's still on there. Praise the lord, last thing I wanted to deal with was messed up paint. If the rain slows down I'll wet sand it tonight. It's going to the welder a tomorrow for a patch since I couldn't weld up the hair line crack. Then I should have it back Friday to give it a 2nd and final base color coat. Then I'll start the stenciling Saturday as long as weather permits. Paint came out a little brighter on than on the paper but I think it'll be ok after the stencils.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #35
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Making progress....
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #36
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Looks clean as is. Have you done anything to the inside? Here's to no more "unexpected delays" for ya.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #37
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Looks clean as is. Have you done anything to the inside? Here's to no more "unexpected delays" for ya.
Thank you! So I've removed most of the carpet and carpet glue from the aluminum. I've got to get the carpet out from under the console and finish getting that glue off. Then I want to take the carpet off the wood and paint that too for now. But with the rain I figure I'll make that last since the blind in going to make will cover a lot of that up. It's also super tight under the console so it'll be hard to get that carpet out. When I take my boat to get welded on tomorrow I'll see if they have any aluminum I can use to make a top for my console to replace the rotted plastic. Then I can redo the wiring and switches and finish pulling out that carpet.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #38
MarkV
Pope & Young

Starting to come together. Not asking for your spot but just wondering where around college station you will be using this?
Old 08-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #39
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Starting to come together. Not asking for your spot but just wondering where around college station you will be using this?
I use to do a lot of hunting on the Navasota. But I probably won't use it much this year here. I have two spots I could hunt on the Navasota with this boat but it's gotta be crazy flooded. I get checked almost everytime when I go out there now, just because too many people get out there and screw around and get the game wardens called on them. Then the warden shows up and thinks it's me. So I'll probably drive to Somerville, the Trinity, or the coast. We've kind of got a good revolving door going. If the Trinity is flooded we'll go to Somerville or Navasota. If Somerville is too high, go to the Trinity. If Navasota is too low go to Somerville or Trinity. Now we have a cabin that we can go to in chinqopin(spelling?) on the coast. We'll probably do that for teal season and get on some reds.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #40
MarkV
Pope & Young

Sounds like you got it figured out. Not a lot of teal around here and yea the rivers are a pain. We hunt the navasota some but the wardens aren't the hard part, just getting around is because of the trees in the river and the tight squeezes. But it's a lot less populated around here.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #41
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Putty knife is a great way to remove old carpet and old glue.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #42
Eagle19
Ten Point

So the tan color was on the right track but too bright in the sun. I went and bought a pint a shade darker, thinned and sprayed it. Thinned it a little too much and got a few runs but I'll just sand it and touch up. This shade of tan looks better for being a base coat. I start the camoing process tomorrow, kinda pumped about it.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #43
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Sounds like you got it figured out. Not a lot of teal around here and yea the rivers are a pain. We hunt the navasota some but the wardens aren't the hard part, just getting around is because of the trees in the river and the tight squeezes. But it's a lot less populated around here.
That river changes so much. The place we started hunting it's all timber and high banks. 20 miles down when it floods it floods lots of fields as far as the eye can see. Timber is all mallards and wood ducks. 20 miles down and up river they get a mix of everything. I actually saw groups of teal flying the river and landing in ponds close to the river.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:35 PM   #44
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Putty knife is a great way to remove old carpet and old glue.
Luckily, since the carpet is 20 years old it comes right off except for the places where they pop riveted stuff over it. The guy has been coming off pretty easily with a sanding flapper disc and wire brush.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #45
Eagle19
Ten Point

Putting on the finishing touches
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #46
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hey, that looks nice!~
Old 08-20-2016, 09:46 PM   #47
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

That looks great!
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #48
Hoggwild
Six Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Lee Co
Default Duck boat overhaul

We hunt off sulphur springs on the navasot. We killed a lot of GWT this past season. We have a slough that we normally hunt but when River flooded out it flooded about 30acres in the bottom. We killed everything short of pintails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoggwild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2016, 10:49 PM   #49
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggwild View Post
We hunt off sulphur springs on the navasot. We killed a lot of GWT this past season. We have a slough that we normally hunt but when River flooded out it flooded about 30acres in the bottom. We killed everything short of pintails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's where I would put in at sometimes. Where we would hunt it was closer to sulphur but the log jams were a real pain to get around. So we had to put in up at 30 and put all the way down. All we shot and all we saw were woodies and greenhead's.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #50
captardvark
Four Point

Hunt In: rusk county

Nice
captardvark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top