Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #201
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Hunt In: Tom Green, Runnels, Coke, where ever possible.
Default Sab

How's the hunting going this year?
TXHORNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #202
MurphyMID
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Haskell, Tom Green, Irion, Schleicher, and Calhoun Counties

Subscribed. I am interested in duck hunting TBR, as I have good places to hunt deer with bow and rifle. Any one on here duck hunt? I have a 15 foot John and a 10 foot fiberglass boat that I can use to get into nearly any area of the lake.
MurphyMID is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #203
BearStrike2010
Ten Point

Hunt In: East texas

Hey guys I'm looking for someone to hunt with this weekend Friday morning through Sunday morning. I've never been out there and thought it would be easier to hunt with someone who knows the area. Just looking to stick a deer this weekend. Thanks a lot. Cameron
BearStrike2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #204
Harvey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyMID View Post
Subscribed. I am interested in duck hunting TBR, as I have good places to hunt deer with bow and rifle. Any one on here duck hunt? I have a 15 foot John and a 10 foot fiberglass boat that I can use to get into nearly any area of the lake.
Hafernick is the authority on duck hunting Twin Buttes. Call him out or send him a PM. He would limit out nearly every hunt out there.
San Angelo area is overlooked as a waterfowl "mecca", atleast for west Texas waterfowl flyway standards.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #205
Hafernick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher, Menard, Burleson, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Hafernick is the authority on duck hunting Twin Buttes. Call him out or send him a PM. He would limit out nearly every hunt out there.
San Angelo area is overlooked as a waterfowl "mecca", atleast for west Texas waterfowl flyway standards.
Not sure I would go that far Charles, but I can tell you this, the four years I hunted there we were consistently killing more birds than anyone else. It would be much easier for me to explain where to go over the phone than on here. PM me for my phone number.

Here is our birds numbers by the years:
2006 - 536 (this year was just amazing)
2005 - 351
2004 - 300
2003 - 150 (this was the first year my duck hunting buddies and I found out about the Buttes. I did not hunt much this year.)
Hafernick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #206
MurphyMID
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Haskell, Tom Green, Irion, Schleicher, and Calhoun Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafernick View Post
Not sure I would go that far Charles, but I can tell you this, the four years I hunted there we were consistently killing more birds than anyone else. It would be much easier for me to explain where to go over the phone than on here. PM me for my phone number.

Here is our birds numbers by the years:
2006 - 536 (this year was just amazing)
2005 - 351
2004 - 300
2003 - 150 (this was the first year my duck hunting buddies and I found out about the Buttes. I did not hunt much this year.)
wow, I am very interested in talking to you. Do you not duck hunt TBR any longer? Can you PM me your number? My post count is apparently too low..
MurphyMID is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #207
Hafernick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher, Menard, Burleson, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyMID View Post
wow, I am very interested in talking to you. Do you not duck hunt TBR any longer? Can you PM me your number? My post count is apparently too low..
No don't live close enough to hunt there. PM sent!
Hafernick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #208
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHORNZ View Post
How's the hunting going this year?
been seeing lots of quality stuff at my honey holes. We've tagged several turkey and passed on many deer. Waiting for the big boys. headed out tomorrow for couple days.
SanAngeloBowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #209
BearStrike2010
Ten Point

Hunt In: East texas

What area are you hunting? I'm in area 4 and not having any luck
BearStrike2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #210
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearStrike2010 View Post
Sorry bud but my personal hunting spot isnt up for everyone else . Ya just have to get out and put the time in scouting pre-season like I do. Ive given a bunch of good advice and how and general wheres to finding deer out there. Ive been around area 4 and 5 just recently and seen several good deer while showing other folks around. They are out there. You just have to be patient and have the will to get to places others dont or wont go. If you are traveling well used and worn roads your NOT in a spot I would hunt. Get OFF the beaten path and make your own. Create your own honey hole that the deer will want to come to.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #211
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearStrike2010 View Post
PM where you are at in Unit 4 and Ill tell ya if your in the right spot or not. Thats best I can do. I keep suggesting this to folks to but havent heard any takers........get as far back into Unit 6 as you can. There is about 20 feeders all along that 2800 acres back in there. If your lazy and dont wanna walk a ways forget it......if ya have a 4wheeler or some good legs then get in there and shoot some deer.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #212
Alley Dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stonewall & Concho Co.

First ever buck with a bow 10 pt Twin Buttes.
Attached Images

Alley Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #213
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Thumbs up Awesome

Way to go Alley Dog. Were you stalking or set up at a blind and feeder.
Congrats!
Old 11-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #214
Alley Dog
Eight Point

In a pop up blind .
Old 11-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #215
The Crippler
Ten Point

AWESOME Alley Dog! Way to go!
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #216
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dog View Post
In a pop up blind .
Allen

Was that your pop-up along the main road in the lil triangle area?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #217
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Allen

cONGRATS on an awsome TBR buck!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #218
Alley Dog
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
Allen

Was that your pop-up along the main road in the lil triangle area?
No thats not mine. I have yet to see anyone there.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #219
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
No thats not mine. I have yet to see anyone there.
Just wondering cause it was gone after weekend and we thought maybe that was you. That is a good spot back in that triangle there tho.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #220
05 gray ghost
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Verey Nice Alley.
05 gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #221
MI Bow Hunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hey guys, I recently moved down here and came across these forums and am hoping to get some information. I just missed deer season back home in Michigan so I am hoping to try and make up for it down here. I have found a map of the TBR and the hunting areas, but I am unsure of how to access those areas. I am also looking for some pointers because it seems like the hunting down here is a little different than up in Michigan. If anyone has any info to help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
MI Bow Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #222
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Bow Hunter View Post
Hey guys, I recently moved down here and came across these forums and am hoping to get some information. I just missed deer season back home in Michigan so I am hoping to try and make up for it down here. I have found a map of the TBR and the hunting areas, but I am unsure of how to access those areas. I am also looking for some pointers because it seems like the hunting down here is a little different than up in Michigan. If anyone has any info to help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tell me what area you are interested in and I can give ya directions how to access and some pointers on the area you chose. I'm off work Wednesday if ya need some help finding.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #223
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Default Unit 4 Cows

Looks like they are moving the cows. Several cowboys, horses, trucks and trailers at the pens on Boy's Ranch road.
Any members hunt Unit 5 this evening?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #224
MI Bow Hunter
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Tell me what area you are interested in and I can give ya directions how to access and some pointers on the area you chose. I'm off work Wednesday if ya need some help finding.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am wondering if there are any areas that have bigger trees for a climbing tree stand. I am going home for thanksgiving and will bring it back with me if it something I would be able to use out there or if it is even worth getting. Having not seen the area I am not sure what is out there. I also need an area that I will be able to drive a car close too I am not afraid to walk so that isn't an issue.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #225
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Looks like they are moving the cows. Several cowboys, horses, trucks and trailers at the pens on Boy's Ranch road.
Any members hunt Unit 5 this evening?
Seen a few over in 5. does and a spike myself and another TBHer passed on.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #226
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I am wondering if there are any areas that have bigger trees for a climbing tree stand. I am going home for thanksgiving and will bring it back with me if it something I would be able to use out there or if it is even worth getting. Having not seen the area I am not sure what is out there. I also need an area that I will be able to drive a car close too I am not afraid to walk so that isn't an issue.
ONLY place I can think of accessible by foot to use a treestand would be far back along riverbanks (its dry mostly) in unit 5 and I doubt you'd find nice straight trees for a climber. a lock-on would be as best as your gonna get there. They had some for $39 at Academy sports when I got mine I used out at TBR. Didnt wanna LOSE much $$ if someone "borrowed".
Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #227
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Quote:
Seen a few over in 5. does and a spike myself and another TBHer passed on.
I was just curious if it was any TBHers. I've seen the vehicles at Unit 5 and Unit 4 by 12 Mile Ranch a few times on my back from hunting Unit 4 via 2166.

Oh and they did not move all the cows from Unit 4.

This past Saturday morning the game warden (Cynthia) visited with me at the cattle guard at Unit 4. This evening as I was leaving I a fellow hunter mentioned that the Lake (SAPD) Police have been patroling Unit 4 via 4-wheeler.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #228
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
I was just curious if it was any TBHers. I've seen the vehicles at Unit 5 and Unit 4 by 12 Mile Ranch a few times on my back from hunting Unit 4 via 2166.

Oh and they did not move all the cows from Unit 4.

This past Saturday morning the game warden (Cynthia) visited with me at the cattle guard at Unit 4. This evening as I was leaving I a fellow hunter mentioned that the Lake (SAPD) Police have been patroling Unit 4 via 4-wheeler.
Unit 4 is where they used to De-calf the herd about this time every year.

SAPD (there is no more Lake Police) have been in Unit 3 as well on there lil baja rail buggy. Units 2,3, and 4 are where most folks go so its no surprise to see them. I just hope they arent running all around ruining folks hunts. I heard what they are looking for is under age drinkers, etc. NOT hunting violations.

My buddy that saw them said right before he ran into SAPD he was headed toward a fenceline road back into his hunt area and all of a sudden 5 "gangbanger" lookin' vatos came walking outta the woods. This was in Unit 3 near the old boat ramp where a bunch of people park.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #229
MI Bow Hunter
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
ONLY place I can think of accessible by foot to use a treestand would be far back along riverbanks (its dry mostly) in unit 5 and I doubt you'd find nice straight trees for a climber. a lock-on would be as best as your gonna get there. They had some for $39 at Academy sports when I got mine I used out at TBR. Didnt wanna LOSE much $$ if someone "borrowed".
Well I don't think I am going to mess with my climber but how do I access zone 5? I was able to find access to 3 but it seemed like there were a lot of people in that area. Is there just one access to 3 on the other end? I am going to be back in san angelo on monday and hopefully be able to get out and look around some more.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #230
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Well I don't think I am going to mess with my climber but how do I access zone 5? I was able to find access to 3 but it seemed like there were a lot of people in that area. Is there just one access to 3 on the other end? I am going to be back in san angelo on monday and hopefully be able to get out and look around some more.
access to Unit 5......take hwy 67 towards Mertzon. JUST BEFORE you cross 12 MILE bridge there is 2 points to access. There are NO SIGNS stating public hunting land but there is an old store thats now a residence right NEXT to the bridge. You can drop down the gravel turnout right before bridge and access via the wooden 2x4 "step-over" point or about 300yds back down road next to the HWY67 SIGN where to better access point is at another wooden 2x4 "step-over" gate. It is FOOT TRAFFIC ONLY in unit 5. Hint: Hunt what we call "The Box" which is the small box section in the NW corner of unit. great cover and close to the north fenceline where there are several feeders close by There are a FEW trees big enough for a treestand if walk into the middle of the Box
Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #231
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
The other end of Unit 3 merges with Unit 4 behind the Boys Ranch area and at the moment is dry at the river crossing there. It is a flat solid rock bottom on the river bed and very easy to cross, but there is no secondary roadway access to that back section.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #232
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

WARNING!: Be careful out at TBR. For the 2nd TIME in a week Ive been almost shot by idiots with shotguns. This time was VERY close as I was sitting in my Pop-up blind by 2 "Hunters" shooting from a road ON a 4wheeler at running deer (that were about to come into my setup!) When all was said and done the 2 geniuses were sited for their hunting violations including the UNtagged deer with sex proof removed that they also had in their possesion. 4 SAPD units responded as well as the GW (thanks Jason.....again) hats off to SAPD for patrolling inforce and responding quickly. I was told they caught 3 other "hunters" that all jumped from a Passenger type vehicle whooping and yelling as they chased some deer from the road right near the entrance to area 1 which is a NO HUNTING zone until you are around the end of the dam.

They also have caught some people recently shooting RIFLES at TBR which is highly illegal as well .

I had an incident last week where 4 idividuals were shooting right next to our camp and across the river towards the island which 4 of us were hunting on. Over 300 rounds were fired (we counted as we ducked) These geniuses were stopped and "educated" as well.

SO.......be careful out there. The idiots are enforce right now.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #233
Toddcaster
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo State Park, Morgan Mill

thanks for the info. I have a few days off week after next and was thinking about going out there but I may just have to find something else.
Toddcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #234
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Default Sab

Quote:
WARNING!: Be careful out at TBR. For the 2nd TIME in a week Ive been almost shot by idiots with shotguns. This time was VERY close as I was sitting in my Pop-up blind by 2 "Hunters" shooting from a road ON a 4wheeler at running deer (that were about to come into my setup!) When all was said and done the 2 geniuses were sited for their hunting violations including the UNtagged deer with sex proof removed that they also had in their possesion. 4 SAPD units responded as well as the GW (thanks Jason.....again) hats off to SAPD for patrolling inforce and responding quickly. I was told they caught 3 other "hunters" that all jumped from a Passenger type vehicle whooping and yelling as they chased some deer from the road right near the entrance to area 1 which is a NO HUNTING zone until you are around the end of the dam.

They also have caught some people recently shooting RIFLES at TBR which is highly illegal as well .

I had an incident last week where 4 idividuals were shooting right next to our camp and across the river towards the island which 4 of us were hunting on. Over 300 rounds were fired (we counted as we ducked) These geniuses were stopped and "educated" as well.

SO.......be careful out there. The idiots are enforce right now.
Was one of these incidents Tuesday evening? My hunting buddy is still hunting unit1. As I am attempting to unit 4 this year. Anyways, he called me and mentioned some strange vehicles along with the SAPD on the non-hunting side of Motl ****. He was real surprised that none of the SAPD stopped to visit with him. He did mention seeing the emergency lights on before he got to the area they were in.

Are you not hunting way back in unit 4? Glad you are ok.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #235
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddcaster View Post
thanks for the info. I have a few days off week after next and was thinking about going out there but I may just have to find something else.
Its been primarily in Unit 2 (ya I know...the same one I always warn folks about) and I found out that the guys involved are now camping in Unit 3 and are STILL road hunting. 2 trucks and a RED 4 wheeler. They are from Alabama and Abilene. These people are morons...BE CAREFUL.

Quote:
Was one of these incidents Tuesday evening? My hunting buddy is still hunting unit1. As I am attempting to unit 4 this year. Anyways, he called me and mentioned some strange vehicles along with the SAPD on the non-hunting side of Motl ****. He was real surprised that none of the SAPD stopped to visit with him. He did mention seeing the emergency lights on before he got to the area they were in.

Are you not hunting way back in unit 4? Glad you are ok.
UPDATE:
There was 2 more shooting incidents in Unit 2 yesterday!

Well in all the commotion the other night I forgot my decoy abd had to go back to get it, so I figured "lightning dont strike twice right?" WRONG!.....well it at least wasnt me being shot at this time. I was visiting with the SAPD Lake Division supervisor (hes an avid hunter and professional guide) when he got a call about high power rifle shots coming from our area? seconds later 2 hunters came up in a truck saying they had a very close call in Garner Dam area out back with 2 guys and a female shooting pistols, rifles, and shotguns just randomly into the woods......right where they were sitting in a brush blind! Here's the kicker......these are the same people the cop just gave a break for shooting at the same boat ramp we were presently sitting at! So these geniuous' were cited.

45mins after this incident after cops left my area we had 2 vehicles come flting down the main road, pull up to boat ramp parking, unload 2 clips of semi auto and then get back in their trucks then head back down same road towards South Pool, pulled over just passed where I was sitting in my popup blind dump "something" in the bushes and then hauled it outta there? Now the chase is on agin and cops are swarming all over Unit 2 looking for this group as well.

The new SAPD Lake Division is EXTREMELY serious about cleaning this crud up out there guys, give it time and things will be really nice out here. The are very serious about cleaning out the riff raff.

SAPD is meeting with city hall right now discussing the new outlook and rules to be enforced at TBR. I promise ya that there is ALOT of changes coming. Look for it to be much like the state parks very soon.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #236
Alley Dog
Eight Point

It would be nice if they could make this like Amistead BOW ONLY NO GUNS.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #237
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
It would be nice if they could make this like Amistead BOW ONLY NO GUNS.
ya it would....NONE of this kinda stuff happens during bow only season. Im headed to my lease in Lowake soon this morning for a few days. Hopefully I wont get shot at out there
Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #238
Ramball36
Eight Point

Ive called the police two or three times this year already on people out there shooting like idiots during prime hunting/riding hours on the weekends. Big difference between running out there to check your zero with two or three shots on a Tuesday afternoon in a safe direction and goin on Sunday when the recreation riders are out slingin rounds down a trail.

Also had a buddy who had an incident tuesday with some meth heads shooting at him from the trail in their car.
Ramball36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #239
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Default Ramball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramball36 View Post
Ive called the police two or three times this year already on people out there shooting like idiots during prime hunting/riding hours on the weekends. Big difference between running out there to check your zero with two or three shots on a Tuesday afternoon in a safe direction and goin on Sunday when the recreation riders are out slingin rounds down a trail.

Also had a buddy who had an incident tuesday with some meth heads shooting at him from the trail in their car.
What unit is your buddy hunting?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #240
Ramball36
Eight Point

That was unit I past the police academy. I and II have been pretty rough this year as far as idiots and thugs...
Ramball36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #241
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramball36 View Post
That was unit I past the police academy. I and II have been pretty rough this year as far as idiots and thugs...
Call the cops every time this kinda stuff happens. The ONLY way we will get it stopped is to get it all documented so the Lake Division can show city council the number of calls generated by this kind of violations. NOBODY is suppsed to be free shooting around out there for ANY reason. NOT even 2-3 rounds "sighting in" There are few hunting regs on the books for TBR at this time (not for long) and this is one of them. It has been overlooked in the past by the old Lake and Parks Police (now defunct) but its an all new ballgame out there now. I know half the guys on the new patrol out there and they are avid hunters and guides and they are taking our natural resources out the to heart.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #242
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

Hunt In: public land

Found a new link to the TBR unit map..... Thanks for the tip Rob.

http://gis.sanangelotexas.us/maps/huntingarea_ap.pdf
hrdwrkncwby76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #243
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
Found a new link to the TBR unit map..... Thanks for the tip Rob.

http://gis.sanangelotexas.us/maps/huntingarea_ap.pdf
No prob sorry I wasnt in town to show ya around some.......gimmee a heads up next time and I'll try to do better for ya.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #244
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

Hunt In: public land

I'm trying to work it out to come up sometime between the 20th-2nd
hrdwrkncwby76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #245
rbertman
Eight Point

Hunt In: san angelo
Default running tbr like state park

i hope if they make tbr a hunting area like state park i hope they do a better job of running the hunts out there or u want be hunting but 1 month out of the season and it will be split up in 2 months in 2 different hunts and they will want to turn it into there private ranch and recreation area for biking and horse backing oh and a little hiking so watch what u wish for out there all for safety and getting rid of rif raf but they can take it to extremes
rbertman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #246
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbertman View Post
i hope if they make tbr a hunting area like state park i hope they do a better job of running the hunts out there or u want be hunting but 1 month out of the season and it will be split up in 2 months in 2 different hunts and they will want to turn it into there private ranch and recreation area for biking and horse backing oh and a little hiking so watch what u wish for out there all for safety and getting rid of rif raf but they can take it to extremes
Lets not go getting crazy with stuff like that........they are ONLY trying to pattern the HUNTING regs for OUR SAFETY after the state park SYSTEMs regs. There isnt going to be closures for draw hunts etc. or anything of that nature.

I was messaged just yesterday as the Lake Division supervisor for SAPD was going before City Council to propose the reworking of an already existing ordinance on what firearms are allowed at TBR. It already states Bow and shotgun only but because it doesnt state NO high powered rifles pistols etc. some idiots seem to take that as "well it doesnt say ya cant"? mentality. Common sense should prevail on this issue already but because some people will push envelope on what most would understand without question we have to waste city time money and manpower to write and enforce more and stricter ordinances because they want to bend the rules and endanger others.

This is also the reason we will now have MANY new changes and rules thanks to those that think our local lands are their personal shooting gallery and garbage dump.

I for one am extremely grateful to those guys that are there to protect what is ours, SAPD and the GW's alike, to make the place much more enjoyable for lawabiding citizens that wish to enjoy the public lands near our homes with our friends and family without having to worry about run ins with scumbags and/getting shot by irresponsible clowns on 4 wheelers and shotguns running down deer like crazed maniacs.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #247
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Default San Angelo City Council Meeting

As SAB has probably mentioned, the City will meet in Feb. to review and possibly finalize some or all changes to the TBR area. Below is a link to the Dec. 7th Meeting agenda. You will just have to do a find on "twin buttes" to narrow your search.

http://sanangelotexas.us/vertical/Si...9A52DCA%7D.PDF

I am keeping an opened mind until I see what all the changes are going to be. My concern is where are they are going to put in the pipe railing and gates.

Last edited by TXHORNZ; 12-08-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Old 12-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #248
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Not sure about the gate issue but I knew it was coming. The times they will be closed is up in the air. The issue is about the dumping that occurs at NIGHT and how to stop people from doing it since SAPD cannot be evrywhere at once. I for one am all for whatever stops or deters scumbags from dumping their couches and household garbage in the middle of my hunts.

YES there will be changes and inconveniences BUT look at the brighter side of things that come with it as well..........Lazy road hunters on 4 wheelers and dumpers will NOT go walking into your hunts anymore. Those with the will and the skill will prevail with a MUCH better hunting experience.

DID y'all know that one of the best bowhunting units at TBR is ALREADY a walk-in only unit?

So before everyone gets in an uproar lets see what comes outta this. These changes are being done for YOU to better your hunting experience. If ya want to voice your opinion on the matters get to a city council meeting! If ya stay on the couch at home then ya really dont have any ground to stand on when its all said and done. Call your district rep, call the city mgr., talk to the GW when ya see them, or talk to the Lake Division folks and ask question or voice your concerns, but if ya realy wanna get heard GET INVOLVED.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #249
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Default Best TBR walk-in unit.

Quote:
Not sure about the gate issue but I knew it was coming. The times they will be closed is up in the air. The issue is about the dumping that occurs at NIGHT and how to stop people from doing it since SAPD cannot be evrywhere at once. I for one am all for whatever stops or deters scumbags from dumping their couches and household garbage in the middle of my hunts.

YES there will be changes and inconveniences BUT look at the brighter side of things that come with it as well..........Lazy road hunters on 4 wheelers and dumpers will NOT go walking into your hunts anymore. Those with the will and the skill will prevail with a MUCH better hunting experience.

DID y'all know that one of the best bowhunting units at TBR is ALREADY a walk-in only unit?

So before everyone gets in an uproar lets see what comes outta this. These changes are being done for YOU to better your hunting experience. If ya want to voice your opinion on the matters get to a city council meeting! If ya stay on the couch at home then ya really dont have any ground to stand on when its all said and done. Call your district rep, call the city mgr., talk to the GW when ya see them, or talk to the Lake Division folks and ask question or voice your concerns, but if ya realy wanna get heard GET INVOLVED.
I've been wanting to take a walkabout in that unit. But I have noticed three trucks there at one time and one or two (same trucks) there occationally. I will wait till sometime after hunting season as I don't want to mess up someones hunting area at this point in the season.
SAB is there any livestock in that unit? Does the unit have a defined fence bountry around it? Any cross fences?
Thanks
Old 12-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #250
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
I've been wanting to take a walkabout in that unit. But I have noticed three trucks there at one time and one or two (same trucks) there occationally. I will wait till sometime after hunting season as I don't want to mess up someones hunting area at this point in the season.
SAB is there any livestock in that unit? Does the unit have a defined fence bountry around it? Any cross fences?
Thanks
There is a few live stock in that unit. A few black angus and a few dozen goats. PM me sometime and I can show ya the rest or give ya the details.