Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #51
jgg

[quote=

Other news......Duck hunters in the early AM on weekend mornings have been making a hellova lot a racket. ( when that season over ?)[/QUOTE]

I was hoping to find out where I could duck hunt so it won't interfere with the deer hunting. I used to live there 10 years ago, and at the time there wasn't a lot of deer hunting going on.

Any suggestions?
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #52
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg View Post
I was hoping to find out where I could duck hunt so it won't interfere with the deer hunting. I used to live there 10 years ago, and at the time there wasn't a lot of deer hunting going on.

Any suggestions?
Anywhere around Unit 6 or 7 on the North Lake shore doesn't get deer hunted much because of the motorcycle trails and campground etc. but in the AM anywhere along the north lake or river shores would be very promising from the flight patterns I've seen. I usually seen them fly from south to north over my ranch towards that area.
SanAngeloBowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #53
jgg

Does the lake still have any vegetation that you know of?

When I grew up there the lake was full of water and vegetation, and from what I have heard the lake hit some all time lows over the last few years...

Any truth to that?
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #54
Hafernick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher, Menard, Burleson, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg View Post
Does the lake still have any vegetation that you know of?

When I grew up there the lake was full of water and vegetation, and from what I have heard the lake hit some all time lows over the last few years...

Any truth to that?
I haven't been hunting in Angelo for two years. So it may have changed since then. I have killed ducks just everywhere on the Buttes. There is so much water its tough to tell you where to hunt with out being there.

I will tell you I have had consistently good hunt on water near the south pool.

If you look at the map SA Bowman has posted there is a bottle neck near unit II it is right where the south pool meets the river. If you need more info call me 713-203-9912 I will explain the best I can.
Hafernick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #55
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafernick View Post
I haven't been hunting in Angelo for two years. So it may have changed since then. I have killed ducks just everywhere on the Buttes. There is so much water its tough to tell you where to hunt with out being there.

I will tell you I have had consistently good hunt on water near the south pool.

If you look at the map SA Bowman has posted there is a bottle neck near unit II it is right where the south pool meets the river. If you need more info call me 713-203-9912 I will explain the best I can.

Thanks for posting Dustin. Good to see ya around here again.

Deer movement was pretty slow the last week or so, but we still managed to put a couple down. I've talked to some other guys hunting TBR yesterday and they have been doing really well. Word is that some good size 8 and 10 point bucks have been taken in the past couple weeks. So stay out there and put some time in and you'll get your chance still. Good luck guys as the season in quickly coming to the end soon.

Last edited by SanAngeloBowman; 12-20-2008 at 09:27 AM..
Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #56
twigflipper
Eight Point

SanAngeloBowman We will be making noise long after you put up your bow for the season. Duck closes on the 25 Jan. We deer hunt during the week and duck hunt on the weekends.
Mike
twigflipper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #57
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigflipper View Post
SanAngeloBowman We will be making noise long after you put up your bow for the season. Duck closes on the 25 Jan. We deer hunt during the week and duck hunt on the weekends.
Mike
It's quieted down some on the weekends. I do most my hunting during the week too. Been seeing some nice covey of quail lately and we're covered up in Dove. Maybe I should take up duck hunting on weekends, huh?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #58
twigflipper
Eight Point

We had to move to a new spot. Were we were hunting at by you is now dry. The lake has come down over a foot from when the Teal season opened.
Mike
twigflipper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #59
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Well It's been so slow at our lease during daylight hours that I have moved off the lease and back onto public lands since most of the guys I know that hunt out around us have been doing quite well. I'm over around 12 Mile bridge now and found some nice areas and scarpes, etc. I found a nice size hog carcass under the bridge today when I left too. The river dries up around that area and there are some nice wallows, so if anyone wants to try some piggy huntin' out there during the off season just gimmee a holler and we'll set something up.

Rob
Old 07-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #60
arrowdynamic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Graham

Amen on previous posts. SanAngeloBowman and the folks of SA are tops. Thanks, Rob for all the effort and hospitality you showed me. I tried Unit I and scraped up my truck pretty badly. I told my wife that it would buff out with some compound. She's still p o'd.
I believe it is a good spot. Saw a big porcupine (what the...?) and a buck (out of range). I hunted Unit III and saw & heard deer, heard turkeys. Hunted Unit IV north of Rob's lease and spooked a bedded doe. It was my first time to bowhunt and I loved it even if I got skunked. I learned a lot from Rob and from other posters. I will try again
this year and I will succeed. This year I'm looking at TBR, Alabama Creek WMA near Lufkin and LBJ NG near Decatur. Best luck and see you around SABowman.
arrowdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #61
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

*Bump*
Anyone planning on coming out this way this season? I'm off work all the time and hunt midweek and weekends. Lost our lease we thought we had for this season (long story) so I'm back to hunting public land until MLD season. So if ya wanna hook up out this way hit me up a PM around here guys
Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #62
stonesmokey
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Red River County, Tom Green
Default Tb/sasp

Yes, myself and some buds are planning to come back this year. probably around first to mid Nov. I will be in Abilene and Angelo the weekend of the 25th Sept to visit family in Angelo. hope to meet up some time.
stonesmokey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #63
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesmokey View Post
Yes, myself and some buds are planning to come back this year. probably around first to mid Nov. I will be in Abilene and Angelo the weekend of the 25th Sept to visit family in Angelo. hope to meet up some time.
Hit me up a few days before ya come and I can tell ya what days Im off. We'll go run around some of my favorite areas out there. Ive been scouting some the past couple weeks and seen a few deer running around even midday when weve been out.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #64
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Default Conditions Update:

Been raining with some heavy thunderstorms the passed couple days and 30% chance of rain and local thinderstorms for next couple days thru the weekend.

It should really help the grasses green up as some areas were starting to get a bit dry. The draws and small gullys and low lands are still pretty green and have been holding alot of water from the rains. Alot of the roads are unpassable even with 4 wheel drive as of today 9/10/09 and will take several days to dry out. PLEASE DON'T GO OUT TEARING UP THE ROADS right now just to go scouting. GET OUT AND WALK.

I walked a bit of the area I hunt yesterday and found much more actitvity than had previously thought was in the area because it was so much easier to track versus how hard and dry it had been prior.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #65
txhunter2008
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Hunt County

Hey SanAngeloBowman,
Some friends and I are heading to San Angelo for some hunting in October. Was wondering if San Angelo Public Lands were any good or if we should just pay attention to TBR? Thoughts?
txhunter2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #66
stonesmokey
Nubbin' Buck

Default McKinney Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter2008 View Post
Hey SanAngeloBowman,
Some friends and I are heading to San Angelo for some hunting in October. Was wondering if San Angelo Public Lands were any good or if we should just pay attention to TBR? Thoughts?
I noticed you're from Mckinney. Same here. Can't comment on your post as I haven't been out to the Butes yet. I did take a seven point off the State Park last year. It happened to be the only deer that got close enough, saw a few does and heard lots of buck sightings but I only seen the one I took home.

Stoney
Old 09-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #67
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Hey SanAngeloBowman,
If the water is holding in some of the dry creek beds and the concho river is flowing I'd say try the state park first. TBR Would be a good choice but is much bigger and if you havent been out scouting to find a spot way in the back of one of the units I'm afraid you will be frustrated at the "Traffic" on weekends out there. Key is getting far back in and away from people. A 4 wheeler or 4x4 is definitely needed. Personally I like walk-in units. Usually much better chances. I dont hunt the state park myself (Yet) cause I dont like wearing the orange garb while bowhunting.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #68
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Stoney will call ya today. I got busy at work, but I'm off today.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #69
txhunter2008
Nubbin' Buck

stone smokey,
Yeah from McKinney....do you hunt nearby too? There are a lot of places nearby to hunt. I mainly hunt at Tawakoni....my favorite...but last year also hunted at Cooper, and LBJ grasslands...found a good small unit...my buddy took a decent buck off it lastyear. I also went and scouted the new area in Caddo grassland along the red river which is bow only now as of last year.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #70
txhunter2008
Nubbin' Buck

appreciate the info bowman! Will let you know how we do!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:15 AM   #71
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
appreciate the info bowman! Will let you know how we do!
Hey lemme know when your group is coming. I'm gonna hunt the state park too. I talked to the guy at the HQ that is charge of SASP hunting and he said that you ONLY have to wear the orange garb while moving INTO and OUT of your hunting area, and that you CAN take it off when you reach your hunting area AND while stalking in that area as well, so I'm IN.

I suggest calling the park HQ. He was very helpful about giving me water source info for certain units that I never would have known about even from Sat. photos/google earth etc.

Most people hunt those last 2 units on the North end of FM2288 closest to the Concho River. I'm going to scout the Turkey Creek area away from crowds aND CLOSER TO MY HOUSE. iTS LESS THAN 5 MINS AWAY FOR ME
Old 09-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #72
txhunter2008
Nubbin' Buck

bowman,
we will be up there oct 14-18th...staying at state park at the cabins. Interested in what you see while scouting...
Old 09-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #73
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
bowman,
we will be up there oct 14-18th...staying at state park at the cabins. Interested in what you see while scouting...
you coming with Stoney?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #74
stonesmokey
Nubbin' Buck

Txhunter,
I know some guys that hunt up at Caddo, but I have another lease with my family and to be honest don't have enough time to hunt there, although I hear a lot of good about it and wish I could.

Bowman, thanks again for the info and showing me around. I am still looking for the map I have of SP.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #75
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Txhunter,
I know some guys that hunt up at Caddo, but I have another lease with my family and to be honest don't have enough time to hunt there, although I hear a lot of good about it and wish I could.

Bowman, thanks again for the info and showing me around. I am still looking for the map I have of SP.
I talked to Lake & Parks folks and that last unit we looked at where I said would be great along river for treestands?.....that back fence is the boundry, but the trees along fence line are plenty big enough probably for a stand in a few places as well.

Looking forward to tagging along in your areas next time ya come out. Gimmee a shout Stoney when ya have some dates of your next trip. I'm gonna checkout some new spots in Units 1-3 at SASP before ya come back too.

How s your FIL doing?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #76
stonesmokey
Nubbin' Buck

Default Fil

He's doing exceptionally good and should have no problems getting back to normal.

We are thinking about coming weekend of the 17th. Work is getting in the way though, so I will have wait to see.

Check your pm you should have something to look at.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #77
txhunter2008
Nubbin' Buck

hey guys, so is there a hunting map of SASP area and if so is what is the number to the headquarters or location of headquarters to get one from. Definitely want to talk to the guys up there if so.
Getting ready for opening morning tomorrow at Lone Oak myself...looking forward to SASP hunt in a few weeks!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #78
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
hey guys, so is there a hunting map of SASP area and if so is what is the number to the headquarters or location of headquarters to get one from. Definitely want to talk to the guys up there if so.
Getting ready for opening morning tomorrow at Lone Oak myself...looking forward to SASP hunt in a few weeks!
I found the map for SASP under "Public Hunting Lands" on the TPWD website. It says only people that pay for a permit will get a copy but it was right there for all to see on the net?

SASP HQ phone number is 325 949 4757. The guy in charge of hunting in the parks name is Bill or Bob I believe and he is very informative on any questions you may have on certain areas.

Someone should start an official thread on SASP since it keeps coming up on here
Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #79
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
He's doing exceptionally good and should have no problems getting back to normal.

We are thinking about coming weekend of the 17th. Work is getting in the way though, so I will have wait to see.

Check your pm you should have something to look at.
Stoney

Good to hear that. Hope he does well. Looking forward to ya coming back again. I'm just buffing out all the scratches in my truck today

PS....nothing in PM?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #80
txhunter2008
Nubbin' Buck

bowman,
Thanks...I have that map already...didn't know if there was a different map or not. I will give the guy a call. Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #81
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

OK Ive seen this same report all over the board so here goes another one.......OPENING DAY we saw zip, nadda, nothing. not evenan armadillo even after all the deer and deersign, trail cam pics etc. Did someone tip off the deer we were coming? This combined with pretty low fly over reports are turning what we hoped for a good year to not so good news, sorry
Old 10-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #82
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

Hello all. name is Daniel. Just stumbled across this site when i was searching for some info on the Twin Buttes area. Been hunting a few different areas for years.

Got a couple questions. First off, San Angelo Bowman, check your pm. i'd like to meet up with you sometime!

Second, i recently had my small feeder and tree stands "stolen" by the city. never had any incidents of this before. they have set up some kind of quote "task force" and are going into the woods cutting locks and chains on tree stands and feeders, and taking it all down. so if anyone has anything missing, drop me a message and i'll tell you how to get your stuff back! they are considering deer stands "littering" and are confiscating them. funny... there was a torn up mattress 20 yds from where i had mine, and they left that there.

anyways, i'm always looking for people to hunt with... drop me a pm sometime!
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #83
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Man thats crazy, but not a surprise. They way they do things around here never ceases to amaze. Was yoour tree stand a commercially made stand or lumber nailed up in the tree? I'm just wondering if there was a miss communication between the Lake Police and the Lake maintenance people that actually go out and do the "cleaning". Who did ya talk to?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #84
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

sorry it took so long to respond. out of town this weekend.

My stand, as well as all the others that were removed, were commercially made ones, with a chain and lock on them. i had tree pegs screwed into the tree to climb, and those were removed as well. my buddy had his removed as well, but he used 2x4's screwed to a tree to climb up to it. he didn't put the 2x4's there. they were there before him. they even removed the 2x4's.

i haven't been able to get ahold of ANYONE yet. one of the other victims, however, got ahold of Randy Harris, the marshall for the Lake Police. he basically told him they are illegal, but could only site the ordinance that says it's illegal to dispose of trash out there. Man, that really irks me. it's not trash, and is clearly marked as not abandoned in some cases. (like mine). they'll walk right by the REAL trash, but take down our hunting stands. He mentioned that and Mr. Harris said that the deer equipment was just phase 1, and they will be cleaning up actual trash at a later time. That response makes no sense to me.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #85
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

SAB,

i guess i can't PM you... don't have enough posts yet. here's what i was wonderin...

i was looking to have someone show me and a buddy around the area of the buttes that you hunt. i'm sick of getting screwed with by kids, idiot hunters, and the lake patrol now stealing my feeder.

looking for somewhere a bit more secluded. i read that you hunt area 1. i don't think i've ever been out there. I tried to find it this weekend, and i believe i did, but didn't go far in because i wasn't sure. i turned just a bit past the cop training center. there was a gate, but it was open. went in a bit but man, it was muddy as all hell. nearly got stuck in my jeep.

one of these days would you mind showing me and my buddy around? i've got a mule we could pack into...

so far my bowhunting season has been completely ruined... i really need to find a spot to kill somethin!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #86
txhunter2008
Nubbin' Buck

me and a couple guys are heading up to SASP for bow hunting tomorrow. Looking forward to it...hope we see some deer!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #87
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_Man View Post
SAB,

i guess i can't PM you... don't have enough posts yet. here's what i was wonderin...

i was looking to have someone show me and a buddy around the area of the buttes that you hunt. i'm sick of getting screwed with by kids, idiot hunters, and the lake patrol now stealing my feeder.

looking for somewhere a bit more secluded. i read that you hunt area 1. i don't think i've ever been out there. I tried to find it this weekend, and i believe i did, but didn't go far in because i wasn't sure. i turned just a bit past the cop training center. there was a gate, but it was open. went in a bit but man, it was muddy as all hell. nearly got stuck in my jeep.

one of these days would you mind showing me and my buddy around? i've got a mule we could pack into...

so far my bowhunting season has been completely ruined... i really need to find a spot to kill somethin!
I know of spots in area 4 and 6 that arent hardly hunted at all because you need a MULE or atv to go in there without tearing up the paint on your truck. I also know an area in Unit 3 that is along the river with huge Pecans and oaks but its pretty far in.

I'm staying away from Units 1 & 2. Thats where they are concentrating their efforts to patrol this year due to the new Elk herd thats now protected. Not that we are doing anything wrongby any means but I just dont want to be around all the traffic. That gate you went in IS in fact the entrance to Unit 1 and the road actually is really good once ya get right there along the bottom of the dam and around the end of it. where it gets really bad is when ya follow the fence line down to the old RR track bed and head south the the back of the unit where the high fence begins. I got stuck for awhile with a TBHer a few weeks ago a week after it rained and it looked pretty dry! some roads get VERY rutted back in there but there is good deer too.

Do you live in San Angelo? Gimmee a call if ya want at 325 212 3251. If I dont answer leave a message cause Im either in my blind or working. I can get texts for free even while in roaming out at the lake so that will work too.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #88
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

SAB,

I'll be giving you a ring later on in the week. For now, i may hunt one more time out at area 2, but i'm not bringing any of my stuff out there to set up.

I do have a MULE that we can use if you want to show me around out there sometime. I think i know my way around areas 2, part of 3, and 4, but a lot of the other areas i've never even been to. area 7?? is that the part that is by the huge overflow where the jeep trails are? is there actually any deer out there? area 4 seems promising, but last year i saw a TON of people out there. i set up by some scrapes last year and had no less than 15 people drive within 200 yds of me.

anyways, i've got your number. i'll give you a call by friday... maybe we can take a drive out there saturday or something?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #89
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Area 2 is probably one of the worst for constant traffic especially on weekends. Area 7 by spillway nobody hunts because the 4x4 crowd has it pretty well taken over and there is a major backroad shortcut people take that goes thru there as well. The rest I'll tell ya by phone. Look forward to it.

Rob
Old 10-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #90
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

With all the "Issues" lately concerning TBR we have as of today formed the Concho Valley Hunters Advocacy to open dialouge with local authorities, TPWD, and the City of San Angelo. All those with concerns may email me with details and we will try our best to sort out the issues at hand here. We are actively seeking members for help and support of the newly formed group and if you live or hunt here I strongly encourage you to get involved to protect our public hunting lands and rights.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #91
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

you can count me in on the advocacy! i'll be more than happy to voice my recent experiences. as far as the removal of hunting equipment goes, i really feel they are targeting hunters specifically... almost like someone has a grudge against us. why else would they be removing people's tree stands, and not picking up the abandoned tires right next to them?

please keep me informed to anything that goes on.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #92
stonesmokey
Nubbin' Buck

Default My job stinks, but I have job so I'll keep it for now.

Can't come this weekend hopefully next weekend.

SAB, I would be interested in the support group. I am ancious to hunt out there and also want to be up to date on the rules and regs.

Later, Stoney
Old 10-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #93
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Hey guys thanks for the support! I just left the Lake and Parks Police HQ and spoke briefly with them about these very issues. The Commander was out to lunch the the guy that distributes info to the public gave me a official memo as to the regards of the Tree stands and blinds, feeders issue, so I will post very soon after I get it scanned. He is also emailing me a copy of the Twin Buttes Elk Herd ordinance that I will post as well.

The Concho Valley Hunters Advocacy IS official now and we are registered with the IRS and will be seeking some local and state sponsorship funds to create the informative website and pay for legal fees for the non-profit exemption we need to file.

I will be purchasing out of pocket for some Mossy Oak and Real Tree t-shirts for the first dozen or so members that wish to help out in the creation of our group "Constitution" that needs to be filed with the Tax Exemption application that makes us really official with the feds. So far we have the EIN number so we can accept contibutions for funding. I have a logo already made up that I believe is fitting since the elk issue is what got the ball rolling around here. I'll post that in a bit as well. Thanks again!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #94
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Here's the temp. group logo (send better if anyones a graphix guy please)

Here's the OFFICIAL memo concerning Blinds, Tree stand, and Feeders at TBR:

The letter reads as follows:

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 3:59 PM

When visiting with the public on blinds please inform them that if they leave a blind at Twin Buttes it is abandoned property and is the same as illegal dumping (lake operations have to clean the mess up every year just as do brush or any other thing that is dumped). They need to be encouraged to use pop-up blinds that they can carry in and out of the field.

Please also remind them that it is ILLEGAL to cut trees and vegetation to make blinds out of.

Feeders left will be treated the same as blinds left. they too are abandoned property. They should be encouraged to hand broadcast feed just like at the State Parks.

Randy Harris Commander
San Angelo Lake & Park Police

I.E. Tree stands are also considered as blinds for all purposes concerned.

I'd like to add that I dont agree with the policy but untill we can get some sort of dialouge with those recommending these rules we will abide by them. We will be working on a policy such as the State Parks where you have up to 48hrs to leave stands and blinds as long as they are tagged with name date address, etc.

This is but one reason WHY we have started this CVHA to help us have a voice in matters that concern us all. Please get involved even if its just to give suggestion on policy, help us write our by laws, mission statement, and groups Constitution.

Thanks guys! We are doing this for YOU!

Rob Sparks - CVHA President
Old 10-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #95
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Cool

This is what the above reads, and notice this is ALL of what is being handed out by the city and what is posted on the internet. Notice nothing is mentioned about the felony and imprisonment for shooting an Elk or the stance on blinds and feeders, etc. :

HUNTING: Ordinance chapter 9.108. (c)

1. It shall be unlawful to hunt with a bow or hunt with or fire a firearm upon, along, across, or from any part of the waters or land of Lake Nasworthy, Twin Buttes Reservoir or any other waters or lands owned or controlled by the city except:

(a) at the Tom Flowers Law Enforcement Training Academy; and

(b) with a bow or shotgun, (no slugs), in the areas specifically designated
by signs posted by the city, which areas are moregenerally
designated by the maps on Exhibit "A" whcich are attatched
and incorporated by reference.

2. Special permits valid for a specified period of time and a specified area may be granted by the city council for persons using firearms in the control
of rodents, varmints, or destructive predators.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #96
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

TTT Please read this stuff if you ever plan to hunt in Tom Green County
Old 10-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #97
JvT
Four Point

Be careful guys, be friendly and make the city known that y'all are their advocate to help solve any problems and work them from there. Go in it angry and calling city officials out, you could have the city decide on a permit draw or worse just wash their hands of it and deny hunting all together. Good luck. Hope it all works out.
JvT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #98
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvT View Post
Be careful guys, be friendly and make the city known that y'all are their advocate to help solve any problems and work them from there. Go in it angry and calling city officials out, you could have the city decide on a permit draw or worse just wash their hands of it and deny hunting all together. Good luck. Hope it all works out.

WE ARE VERY MUCH BEING THE ADVOCATES HERE. The above information is being posts so that peole are informed as this info is NOT posted anywhere elseto let visitors know of local specific rules. As you can see there is the NEED for this. The city themselves DO understand this as THEY are the ones that gave me the above documents and I informed them at that time I would pass the info along. Thanks for your concern. Have you had an issue like this in your area?

Thanks

rob
Old 10-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #99
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_Man View Post
SAB,

I'll be giving you a ring later on in the week. For now, i may hunt one more time out at area 2, but i'm not bringing any of my stuff out there to set up.

I do have a MULE that we can use if you want to show me around out there sometime. I think i know my way around areas 2, part of 3, and 4, but a lot of the other areas i've never even been to. area 7?? is that the part that is by the huge overflow where the jeep trails are? is there actually any deer out there? area 4 seems promising, but last year i saw a TON of people out there. i set up by some scrapes last year and had no less than 15 people drive within 200 yds of me.

anyways, i've got your number. i'll give you a call by friday... maybe we can take a drive out there saturday or something?
Daniel?

No call buddy?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #100
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

sorry SAB, i was really busy this weekend. Work and kids have me up to my ears. I didn't even get a chance to go out there this past week!

So what is the rules in regards to the Elk heard out there? I was told 2 different stories. a city official told me they were illegal to shoot. the game warden told me it wasn't because they were considered exotics and there was no city oridinance guiding what can be shot on the TBR land.

i do not intend on shooting them, but i have found 2 carcasses in the past 4 weeks, so someone is.

do you have guidance yet?