Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #51
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default Stay strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDownSouth View Post
Anybody on the GS doing the Keto diet ? I started 2 weeks ago, and I seem to be eating the same things and it's getting old. If you are, you mind sharing and good receipes? Thank you in advanced .
No recipes. Just observing. Keto mindset seems like some legit nutritional science and alot of founded advice from some folk.

It seems that packing a cooler might be crucial. Mine is packed daily with a 1/8-1/4# Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese, 3-4 boiled eggs, 2 carrots, 1 apple, 1 orange, 1-2 bananas, 1 baked potato and 1/2# meat...chicken or beef or pork sliced into bite sized chunks.

Keep on keepin on DownSouth. God bless!
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 11:37 PM   #52
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hunt In: Langtry

I had my routine lab work drawn 1 week ago and physical with results today. Blood counts, thyroid, electrolyte, C-Reactive Protein, Testosterone, Hemoglobin A1C, and Cholesterol all are all normal. Total Cholesterol was 164 with good cholesterol 104 and bad at 60.
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2017, 01:40 AM   #53
Beargrasstx
Four Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, Brazos County, Limestone County

Your HCL was 104 and LCL was 60?
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2017, 03:16 AM   #54
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Your HCL was 104 and LCL was 60?
Yes, HDL 104 LDL 60
Old 05-18-2017, 03:21 AM   #55
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
That goal can be achieved in one month, if you stick with the plan, and only moderately exercise. 22lbs below your current weight is actually only about 10-12lbs body mass. Maybe less depending on how full your gut is .
Going to really try to do some cardio along with the "weight lifting" I have been doing. Weight lifting in quotes cause I don't do very heavy weight like most of here do.

Can you elaborate more on 22 lbs equating to 10-12 lbs in body mass?? Is the rest typically water weight??
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2017, 03:25 AM   #56
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetrauma View Post
I had my routine lab work drawn 1 week ago and physical with results today. Blood counts, thyroid, electrolyte, C-Reactive Protein, Testosterone, Hemoglobin A1C, and Cholesterol all are all normal. Total Cholesterol was 164 with good cholesterol 104 and bad at 60.
Sounds awesome.... I had planned on getting my blood checked before starting but reading the threads on here got me to just go ahead and start.

What area do you hunt near Langtry?? Noticed some aoudad not very far from there on some cam pics the other day.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:30 AM   #57
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Sounds awesome.... I had planned on getting my blood checked before starting but reading the threads on here got me to just go ahead and start.

What area do you hunt near Langtry?? Noticed some aoudad not very far from there on some cam pics the other day.
Got off 2 seasons ago for fiscal and distance reasons. Plus, my dad was medically retired at that point and dependent on O2. It was up Langtry road to the farm camp on the right and that was our turn off to camp. Here are the coordinates for the camp site. It is a rock house settlement, that was told to us, to be the original settlement for that ranch. I believe it's the Hargrove Ranch? But, I could be wrong.

29.864859, -101.478482

Never saw any Aoudad in the area.

Last edited by icetrauma; 05-18-2017 at 03:32 AM..
Old 05-18-2017, 03:47 AM   #58
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Got off 2 seasons ago for fiscal and distance reasons. Plus, my dad was medically retired at that point and dependent on O2. It was up Langtry road to the farm camp on the right and that was our turn off to camp. Here are the coordinates for the camp site. It is a rock house settlement, that was told to us, to be the original settlement for that ranch. I believe it's the Hargrove Ranch? But, I could be wrong.

29.864859, -101.478482

Never saw any Aoudad in the area.
I had never seen aoudad out there until now. I was recently told by a rancher that his son had been shooting aoudad on their property which is by the county line. Fast forward two months and I see pics on a cam about half way between the county line and Langtry. This would be south of 90 and very close to the river.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:54 AM   #59
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
I had never seen aoudad out there until now. I was recently told by a rancher that his son had been shooting aoudad on their property which is by the county line. Fast forward two months and I see pics on a cam about half way between the county line and Langtry. This would be south of 90 and very close to the river.
I would of loved to of had a chance at one. I do like that country out there.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #60
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

This is gonna be tuff.!

I started ketoing on Monday afternoon after reading some of this thread. Did some research on the net. Bought some supplies. Had lost 4 lbs up till today and my blood sugar had dropped from an average of ~140 to ~105. Do not know if I was in the state of ketosis, but I was headed there.

Then................my wife brought home Chicken enchilades. I could not resist. I didn't eat the beans or the rice, but them sour cream covered morsels were fabulous.

Oh well, I start again tomorrow.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #61
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
This is gonna be tuff.!

I started ketoing on Monday afternoon after reading some of this thread. Did some research on the net. Bought some supplies. Had lost 4 lbs up till today and my blood sugar had dropped from an average of ~140 to ~105. Do not know if I was in the state of ketosis, but I was headed there.

Then................my wife brought home Chicken enchilades. I could not resist. I didn't eat the beans or the rice, but them sour cream covered morsels were fabulous.

Oh well, I start again tomorrow.
Going to be tuff is an understatement. I ate tacos and rice for lunch on Monday. I decide to start the Keto eating method and have stayed true to what I am supposed to be eating. Parts of yesterday and today I felt like I was hung over. Been hanging in there but I am craving sweets/carbs but have not given in. I placed crackers, bread and tortillas on the table in front of where I eat every meal. I am determined not to give in.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #62
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Haven't had any ill feelings so far. Been staying away from sugars and carbs pretty well until this.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #63
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Going to be tuff is an understatement. I ate tacos and rice for lunch on Monday. I decide to start the Keto eating method and have stayed true to what I am supposed to be eating. Parts of yesterday and today I felt like I was hung over. Been hanging in there but I am craving sweets/carbs but have not given in. I placed crackers, bread and tortillas on the table in front of where I eat every meal. I am determined not to give in.
Google fat bomb recipes. Cures my sweet tooth and they can be made in all flavors.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #64
icetrauma
Ten Point

Also, do not forget to salt your food. I like the pink Himalayan, sea or kosher salt.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #65
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Google fat bomb recipes. Cures my sweet tooth and they can be made in all flavors.
Will do. I need something to get me through the craves.

Quote:
Also, do not forget to salt your food. I like the pink Himalayan, sea or kosher salt.
I have been salting food a bit more than usual. I have also been making a drink out of the juice of 1 lime & 1 lemon plus a teaspoon of pink salt and half a cucumber. I add enough water so that it makes about a 32 ounce drink once it's all blended up. For some reason I really like the taste and seems to kill some of my thirst that has been pretty intense for the last two days. I have easily been drinking about 1.5 gallons of water daily.

I am happy to report today I felt great and worked out prior to my shift. Additionally, I never got hungry throughout the day which was a major problem before changing what I had been eating. Fixing to do some cardio and see how that goes. I appreciate all the tips from you fellas that have been doing this for a while.

Last edited by Pedernal; 05-19-2017 at 07:21 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #66
rut-ro
Six Point

May have to try it out
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #67
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Will do. I need something to get me through the craves.

I have been salting food a bit more than usual. I have also been making a drink out of the juice of 1 lime & 1 lemon plus a teaspoon of pink salt and half a cucumber. I add enough water so that it makes about a 32 ounce drink once it's all blended up. For some reason I really like the taste and seems to kill some of my thirst that has been pretty intense for the last two days. I have easily been drinking about 1.5 gallons of water daily.

I am happy to report today I felt great and worked out prior to my shift. Additionally, I never got hungry throughout the day which was a major problem before changing what I had been eating. Fixing to do some cardio and see how that goes. I appreciate all the tips from you fellas that have been doing this for a while.

Sounds like your body is adapting well to the fat for fuel. It gets easier once you get to this level. Keep it up.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #68
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sounds like your body is adapting well to the fat for fuel. It gets easier once you get to this level. Keep it up.
Thanks for the info and encouragement... I am happy to say that I feel really good when it comes to not having the energy spikes both up and down. I am down 6 lbs after just one week and the only time I felt bad was when the "Keto flu" kicked in. So far it's all positive. I am planning on starting to kick up the cardio and weight lifting and see how all that goes. Also, I plan on having blood work done to see how my body is adapting to this way of eating.

For those on the fence about trying it out, I really encourage you to give it a go!!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #69
icetrauma
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks for the info and encouragement... I am happy to say that I feel really good when it comes to not having the energy spikes both up and down. I am down 6 lbs after just one week and the only time I felt bad was when the "Keto flu" kicked in. So far it's all positive. I am planning on starting to kick up the cardio and weight lifting and see how all that goes. Also, I plan on having blood work done to see how my body is adapting to this way of eating.

For those on the fence about trying it out, I really encourage you to give it a go!!

Keep it up and enjoy the ride. The pounds will shed off. If ya need anything else, drop me a line or post it up in here.

Edit....save the blood work for at least 2 months in.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #70
Strummer
Ten Point

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I started it today . So will keep an eye on this thread .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #71
DeepDownSouth
Four Point

Hunt In: Ol Mexico

Anybody still drinking a few beers or alcohol on it ? Any good recommendations ? I love my beer, but I know it doesn't mix well with Keto.
DeepDownSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #72
icetrauma
Ten Point

How's everyone doing?