Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 05-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #101
buckerup
Six Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood Tx & Carta Valley Tx

Did I understand that you broadcast the peas? In your most recent pics it almost looks like they were drilled in. ( I see plants in straight lines.)
buckerup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #102
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Yes, I broadcast, but see post no. 87. I almost straighten my disc gangs just to cut little grooves. After I broadcast fertilizer and the seed, the tire drag tends to push a lot of the seeds into those little grooves. You're not the first one to think they're drilled in ! There was a lot of trial and error when I started planting food plots years ago. Back then, most of them were " kill " plots consisting of wheat or oats with never a soil test and just some triple thirteen broadcast with the seed. About eight years ago, I bought the 217 acres in Rusk Co. where I could do anything that I could afford and I started trying different crops and different methods. Then I started reading on QDMA, Bowsite, and TBH also. I picked up info at each site, and still do. I've planted Power Plant, Extreme, WINA clover, straight feed store soybeans, lab-lab, Eagle RR soybeans, iron clay peas, brassicas, purple top turnips, wheat, bob oats, Buck Forage oats, and cereal rye. I have settled on WINA clover as a perennial plot, iron clay peas in the spring, and wheat in the fall. The clover lasts three to six years with minimal maintenance, deer love it,it's available when I'm between spring and fall plots, and it's high in protein. The peas are the cheapest soybean substitute and comes closest to soybean nutrition. I can not tell any difference in regular feed store wheat and the twice-the-price forage oats. As many plots as I grow, I need the most bang for my bucks because mostly I'm footing the bill.

I will say that the right kind of beans can be both a spring/summer crop and carry over into the fall/winter if conditions are right and you get a good crop. I'm told that when the leaves on the beans start to turn yellow, you can broadcast wheat and it will germinate under the fallen leaves for some late season greens, plus you get the actual beans if you plant the right kind. Eagle RR beans are $125 a sack where I've bought them, so you pays your money and you takes your choice ! This is a pic of some RR beans in December. The vines were loaded with beans. I'm pretty sure "my" deer had never seen a soybean, but the learning curve was very short !
Attached Images

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-15-2017 at 08:08 PM..
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #103
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Same beans in August......
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #104
buckerup
Six Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood Tx & Carta Valley Tx

Thanks for the follow up. I'm a rookie as far as food plots go. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to share your knowledge and experience. Thanks much.
buckerup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #105
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckerup View Post
Thanks for the follow up. I'm a rookie as far as food plots go. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to share your knowledge and experience. Thanks much.
You are welcome ! The most important thing in planting food plots IMO, is a soil test, then use the right amount of lime to get your soil amended to as close to neutral as possible, then match the fertilizer recommendations as closely as possible. Everthing else is secondary.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #106
macoop
Ten Point

Default Drill

I've got a drill that I would let go if you guys are interested. I'll get pictures this weekend with all of the details. A friend gave me a better one and I just parked it. It was working just fine when I parked it. It aint pretty but it works just fine. It's in Crosby Co. 19 miles north of Post. I'll come back and post pictures on Sunday sometime.
macoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #107
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoop View Post
I've got a drill that I would let go if you guys are interested. I'll get pictures this weekend with all of the details. A friend gave me a better one and I just parked it. It was working just fine when I parked it. It aint pretty but it works just fine. It's in Crosby Co. 19 miles north of Post. I'll come back and post pictures on Sunday sometime.
I'm interested if it's not too big. I work in some tight places sometimes and have to do a lot of moving also to plant three different properties. Here is one plot I'm gonna plant this fall. As you can see, it's not very wide. It's simply what the timber guys call a "down row" where they thin pine plantation and take out every fifth row or so in order to have working room. I mowed the yaupon, sweet gum, and weeds out last year. Barely had room to turn around at the far end, but I fixed that Tuesday. Had my backhoe down there so I grubbed out a bunch or overhanging yaupon and made a place to easily turn with a disc or drag behind. It will be a clover/chicory plot come fall.......I hope !
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #108
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Well, I have peas in Trinity Co., but I need some rain. A half in. would be helpful but I'd rather have more !

These were planted a week ago today. Don't think all of them have germinated yet, just the ones that got into a little moisture. That's the theory anyway !
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #109
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

I tell you what, if I don't get some more germination here shortly, I'm going to re-till my whole plot and start over. We got some rain this AM, and expecting more this weekend, but I don't know if it's a little too little and a little too late just yet.
Ironman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #110
Radar
Six Point

Hunt In: Near Nockenut Texas and Ecleto Creek

Name:  sorghum2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  98.3 KB

Sorghum heading out.
Radar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #111
Radar
Six Point

Name:  plot4.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  100.5 KB

Stuff is thick
Old 05-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #112
Radar
Six Point

Name:  flower2.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  56.1 KB
Old 05-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #113
Radar
Six Point

Name:  waller.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  134.4 KB

And of course a hog waller big enough to lose a small dog in. Right in the middle of one the better plots
Old 05-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #114
Radar
Six Point

Name:  olwell.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  129.2 KB

Old community well on my property, I cleaned it up. Relined the trough and keep it full with a hand pump. The water is dark blue from algaecide.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #115
Radar
Six Point

Name:  buflower.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  129.5 KB
Butterfly found the flowers along with the deer
Old 05-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #116
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Radar, that's a neat setup on the old well ! Ironman, I may be in the same boat, but I think I got a pretty good rain at Brushy Creek this morning. Going down there the middle of next week to spread some milorganite and look things over.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #117
Radar
Six Point

I got rain to the north and rain to the south. I could hear some thunder earlier but I think she no bueno.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #118
Radar
Six Point

We getting rain
Old 05-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #119
bollomb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Radar, that's a neat setup on the old well ! Ironman, I may be in the same boat, but I think I got a pretty good rain at Brushy Creek this morning. Going down there the middle of next week to spread some milorganite and look things over.
You should've got another round last night as well.. I am not far from you in Apple Springs and our I/c peas are looking great! Planted a month ago. First time planting spring plots, don't think it will be my last
bollomb is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #120
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

I got just about everything planted out here. Milo, sun flowers, sun hemp, black beans, bush beans, okra, black eyed peas and pinto beans... plus some old garden stuff. Finally got some good rain on it. I planted a little later and have been missing the rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #121
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollomb View Post
You should've got another round last night as well.. I am not far from you in Apple Springs and our I/c peas are looking great! Planted a month ago. First time planting spring plots, don't think it will be my last
Got any pics ?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #122
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
We getting rain
Great ! Hard to get too much unless you work dirt for a living or live in a creek bottom !
Old 05-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #123
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post

I got just about everything planted out here. Milo, sun flowers, sun hemp, black beans, bush beans, okra, black eyed peas and pinto beans... plus some old garden stuff. Finally got some good rain on it. I planted a little later and have been missing the rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I might should have planted a little earlier myself, but planting on three different properties keeps me spread out, especially since I'm usually doing it all by myself. Yours looks good !
Old 05-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #124
bollomb
Eight Point

Quote:
Got any pics ?
yes, let me see if I can get a couple to upload
Old 05-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #125
bollomb
Eight Point

[attach]Name:  plot 2.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  41.7 KB[/attach]
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #126
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Seems like I've seen those before ? Peas look good ! FYI, you can kill that grass in your peas by spraying with Clethodim and it won't hurt the peas. Won't kill weeds, but it will kill the grasses. It takes a little time to work, and needs to be sprayed when grasses are growing but not mature. Pretty good for a first timer !
Old 05-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #127
bollomb
Eight Point

Quote:
Seems like I've seen those before ? Peas look good ! FYI, you can kill that grass in your peas by spraying with Clethodim and it won't hurt the peas. Won't kill weeds, but it will kill the grasses. It takes a little time to work, and needs to be sprayed when grasses are growing but not mature. Pretty good for a first timer !
Thank you sir. I will have to give that a try. I ddnt take pics of all of them but we planted 6 smaller plots.. The deer are hitting some a little too hard to soon and they ddnt take off as well.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #128
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollomb View Post
Thank you sir. I will have to give that a try. I ddnt take pics of all of them but we planted 6 smaller plots.. The deer are hitting some a little too hard to soon and they ddnt take off as well.
My first attempt with I/C peas was a disaster ! Planted one sack in about three different plots. The deer ate them to the ground. So I decided to go big or go home. Since establishing some clover plots to help take the pressure off the peas, and planting about 2.5 to 3 acres of peas each spring, I have no more problems. It doesn't hurt that I have more and better browse than I did before also. Timber thinning and timely mowing gives me honeysuckle, berries, and ground forbs that deer like. I can't do much in Trinity Co., not my land, but the other places allow me more freedom to manipulate.
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM   #129
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Checked my mineral block cameras today at my Mt. Enterprise property. Peas are looking good, and I poured 3.25 in. of rain out of my gauge. First pic is a nutrition plot that we never hunt. Clover in the middle is the main draw right now.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM   #130
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

This plot is on the NE corner of my place. We average two deer a year out of this plot. It goes around the corner for a 150' or so. The L shape makes bucks want to see what's around the corner.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #131
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

This my " bottom " plot and where I like to hunt best, but where you will get busted if you don't have the wind right AND use the Ozonics unit. The wind swirls and I almost ruined this stand by over-hunting it on iffy winds. After I started using Ozonics, I've never been busted here.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM   #132
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Both the pic above and this one were taken from the same spot. This plot is boomerang shaped with a clover plot in this lane through the woods. Right now, the deer are walking through the peas to get to the clover, but that will change in a couple or three weeks.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #133
Ociun
Four Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Man, I am so jealous of people with land.
Ociun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #134
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

And last, but not least, is my faithful companion, Sarge, who makes every trip with me.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM   #135
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ociun View Post
Man, I am so jealous of people with land.
If you were a land baron, you too could have a hog that rubs his azz on your mineral block !
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM   #136
Ociun
Four Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Lol! I'll take it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Ociun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #137
Radar
Six Point

Drycreek what variety of clover are you planting? I have never had much luck with red clover as it dies out by March.

I have looked at Burr Medic Clover, but need more info on it.

By the way I can tell by the look on Sarge's face that he aint spoiled and dont want no petting.
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #138
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Drycreek what variety of clover are you planting? I have never had much luck with red clover as it dies out by March.

I have looked at Burr Medic Clover, but need more info on it.

By the way I can tell by the look on Sarge's face that he aint spoiled and dont want no petting.
Sarge is the perfect companion ! No bieoching, no arguments, always ready to go ! All he asks is a piece of bacon in the mornings and a cool bowl of water.

My clover has always been Whitetail Institute. It's expensive, but you get five years or more out of it, so if you pro-rate, it's really not. Besides that, it's the least of what I spend on this stuff. Fertilize every other year in good ground and it's good to go. I've even got a small patch that must have planted off my shredder that has been there seven years now with zero fertilizer and it keeps coming back every year. I use very little of the buck-on-bag seeds, but this is one I'll stick with. I mow it 2/3 times a year and spray once each spring with Clethodim to kill grasses. It's good stuff !

I should add that it grows best in heavy soils, something that isn't well drained. Sand on top of a hill is not what it likes ! WI sells a seed called Extreme that works well in sandy soil and my deer like it too.

Last edited by Drycreek3189; Yesterday at 09:09 PM..