Acid reflux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acid reflux?

I think I have it. It's 2:30am as I type this. I woke up from my sleep with burning acid in my throat. I was trying not to puke it up. I quickly got out of bed, and got a cold glass of water. My throat is still burning. That is some bad stuff that I assume is stomach acid. I've had this happen to me about a dozen times over the last year or so. Anyone else experience this? Is what I'm describing called acid reflux? I only use this term because I've seen it on tv commercials

yep that's good ol' acid reflux. I've had it since I was a kid and used to keep a bottle of tums on me everywhere I went. Found out later that was the cause to all my kidney stones! For the past couple years I've been taking prevacid and the only issues I have is when I run out of pills. The bottle says to take 1 a day but even as bad acid reflux as I have, taking 1 every 4 to 5 days works fine.

Comment

Yes, I’ve dealt with it my whole life. Was diagnosed with GERD or acid reflux when I was 8. As long as I watch my diet it isn’t terrible, but here lately it’s been flared up good. lay off spicy foods, fried foods, sodas etc. and don’t eat late at night before you go to sleep. In my experience, once it’s bothering you it ain’t going away unless you take some medicine. You can sleep with your head elevated like in a recliner and it will help some. There are some home remedies if don’t have any on hand but I can’t attest to them working or not. Most over the counter meds work for me! I feel your pain, literally! Just took some Pepsid myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One word of caution, be careful taking too many pepsid or tums or Roland’s etc. they are all calcium based and excess calcium can cause kidney stones. I currently take nexium or off brand. I have taken Prevacid and Prilosec. They were all prescription that are now OTC. Most have a 14 day treatment course, but I usually hurt again when I quit taking it. If it persists too long, it can cause erosion in the esophagus, dental issues and other problems. Mine was so bad when I was a kid I had to be hospitalized. Once they got it figured out what it was, I’ve handled it own my own. I think many people have it, and it’s primarily caused by diet.

Comment

In my own experience, it seems eating late, and / or eating too much food has caused these episodes with me. I'm sitting up in a recliner right now. ive never had a kidney stone, and dang sure don't want one. I guess I will avoid the meds that cause that as a side effect.

Comment

mustard will kill it

apple cider vinegar as well

my wife struggles with it every day.. shes tried everything and nothing works for her.. shes given up and says shes just destined to die from esophageal cancer.. its horrible to watch her go through it

Comment

Acid reflux?

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              In my own experience, it seems eating late, and / or eating too much food has caused these episodes with me. I'm sitting up in a recliner right now. ive never had a kidney stone, and dang sure don't want one. I guess I will avoid the meds that cause that as a side effect.

I’ve taken tons of them, and have never had a kidney stone. But Maybe I’m just lucky. try not take them for long periods of time. They are instant relief and most of the treatment pills usually take a day or two to take effect. So it’s nice to have both on hand.

Might try drinking some milk for some relief, sometimes it helps me. They would have me drink pear juice or milk or buttermilk. things that supposedly lined your stomach and neutralized the acids. They also say Apple cider vinegar or vinegar based stuff helps, I can’t imagine it seems like it would only kill me! Pickles, mustard, usually tend to make mine flare.

Last edited by K-Train; 04-08-2018, 02:12 AM.

Comment

I think i have found the foods and drinks that trigger mine and also tilted my bed, never lay down till after 2 hours after food or drink,i try and avoid anything acidic, and no more caffeine, and make myself stay up additional 2 hours after eating anything b4 bedtime, but still take a zantac 150 on occasion. I feel her pain!

Comment

I had the same issues about 15yrs ago. I take a nexium every morning and that usually keeps it in check. Every now and then I might eat or drink something that flares it up and I have to eat a handful of tums to get it under control.

Comment

You may be about to die. Sounds like your system is shutting down.

Comment

Nexium 150 every day. Works for me and my wife.

Comment

I’ve had it for years as well, some foods or alcohol flare it up more than others. I had a bad episode that lasted about 4 days a month ago. Really put a hurting on me. I take omeprazole from Sams and it takes care of it well. It’s a 14 day treatment and after that I’m good for a long time.

Comment

Man that sucks. I've heard you can have surgery to fix it. Glad I don't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            You may be about to die. Sounds like your system is shutting down.
                            Lol

Comment

After years of bad reflux l had a procedure called a fundoplication. I had the procedure 20 or so years ago. Before the surgery I could not lie down flat in my bed. Had to elevate the the head of the bed. Reflux would enter my lungs and burn like they were on fire, no amount of water would help as it was in the lungs. Since the procedure I haven’t had reflux at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X