Favorite Onions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Onions??

I always use yellow onions to cook chili, soups, stews etc....assuming they are the best. Am I missing something??? Should I be using another onion?? What do ya'll use and why??

I use yellow onions in everything, but I grew up on 1015's and noon days. My wife uses purple onions in some of her dishes, but her dishes are to involved for me to cook.

Comment

1015's all the way

Comment

Grew up on yellow onions, but the last 10 years or so have been using purple onions. They are great satueed with mushrooms and olive oil. They are also great on top of chilli diced fine that whats for dinner tonight.

Comment

I also grew up on Noonday and 1015 onions but you just can't discount a good ole slice of purple on greasy hamburger with mustard on it.

Comment

I LIKE onions... I LOVE that we can come to our TBH brethren with ANYTHING!

Comment

My preference is 1015's, but can't always get them here at our local stores.

Comment

Sweet yellow onions here. Good for everything from fajitas to chili.

Comment

I am going to plant mine in about 6 weeks. I always plant 4-6 bunches of 10-15 onions. I start eating them when they are the size of my thumb . I eat them at every meal with anything until I run out. I do love my onions.

Comment

Yellow for year round everyday use. 10-15's when they are available. Purple for some special uses.

I mix chopped purple onion, chopped tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar and use it as a topping for baked fish.

Comment

White for pico de gallo, taco soup, dressing (turkey), stuffed jalapeno's
                      purple for hamburgers and taco's
                      yellow for onion rings

Comment

My favorite are Vidalia onions. Hard to find in TX.

Comment

green, yellow , purple , white, vidalia , etc.....

I don't discriminate and use them all for food prep and cooking

purple onions are best raw , grilled or in salads ....... slow cooking them ruins their best feature "taste"

yellow have the strongest flavor

green onion tops best in gumbo and on baked potatoes

baked (microwave) yellow or vidalia onions with a bullion cube and butter is the shizzle
                          Last edited by Cajun Blake; 12-22-2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Noonday Onions are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Noonday onions if I've got 'em otherwise yellow onions.

Comment

Working...
                              X