Crummy Choke/Load Patterning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put a Primos Jelly Head on 935 and shot Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend..

Here’s the result at 30yards (right) and 50 yards (left)

So now I have to figure out if the choke sucks or the load with this choke.

Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I may be a little outdated on my choke patterning and testing days but when we were testing waterfowl loads, the harder non-deforming no-tox loads like steel and Hevi when constricted down blew out and sucked with a full or tighter choke. They would a create a ricochet effect and be all over the place. The extreme inner circle might be ok but the outer bands would be loose.

I'd be shooting lead personally. My jellyheads throw a great pattern in a 12 and 20 with lead turkey loads and my 3" copperplated #4 pheasant loads I use for turkey because I'm no longer paying turkey load prices.....
    Last edited by Smart; 04-23-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Not a SBE3 is it? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        I may be a little outdated on my choke patterning and testing days but when we were testing waterfowl loads, the harder non-deforming no-tox loads like steel and Hevi when constricted down blew out and sucked with a full or tighter choke. They would a create a ricochet effect and be all over the place. The extreme inner circle might be ok but the outer bands would be loose.

I'd be shooting lead personally. My jellyheads throw a great pattern in a 12 and 20 with lead turkey loads and my 3" copperplated #4 pheasant loads I use for turkey because I'm no longer paying turkey load prices.....

Thanks man.. I’ll give that a go and try something different. I have some straight Double X 3.5 #4.. Maybe I need to try some smaller bb’s as well.

I mean I killed my turkey in Kansas but a 2-2.5ft spread at 30yrds is a joke..

Comment

What Smart said.....

You might try your normal full choke and see if you have better results. I have always had the best results using regular old fashioned lead turkey loads in an extra-full choke. I was sad when Winchester quit making the Supreme 3" 2oz #5's until I shot the new Longbeard XR's. My pattern is so tight at 30yds I have to aim really good or you can miss!!

Comment

Originally posted by buxNdux View Post
            Not a SBE3 is it? lol

No..lol.. Moss 935

Comment

FWIW, I patterned my Beretta at 40 yards with a full choke and inexpensive lead #4s and it patterned much better than that. I'm betting it's the the combination of a very constricted choke and harder Hevi shot. If you have some lead shot (4-6 game loads will work fine) run them through the jelly head and you'll have your answer.

Comment

i shoot a 835 with the hevi shot #6's with a .635 indian creek choke tube. very good results at long distances and like mentioned above at 30 yards and under, if I don't aim well ill miss. it holds a very tight pattern. I will say I tried patterning the magnum blend with the same gun/ choke combo and it didn't pattern well. maybe try a different choke and if that don't work try different ammo...

Comment

I think some patterning with different loads and chokes is in order. I'm gonna have to do the same. I killed one last Monday and at twenty yards several shot went into his breast. That's no bueno ! The one I killed Tuesday morning flopped for five minutes with my foot on his neck. First time for me to not kill one dead with a 3" 12 ga. w/ 2 oz. of #5s.

Comment

Yeah...stick to lead with your tighter chokes & they will shrink up. I'm kinda old school & always shot a bunch of lead 6 shot for turkeys.

Save the non-toxic for waterfowl & open up the choke.

Comment

First reaction. I'd try some Winchester Longbeard XR #5's in it. Mossberg's can definitely throw a better pattern than you are getting.

Trulock makes great chokes for a good price. They actually specifically make one for the 935 Winchester Longbeard XR #5's. http://trulockchokes.com/?target=cho...%5D%5B58%5D=58

If that doesn't satisfy you, call gobblerguns.com They flat know what they are doing for choke and shell combo's. If you want to shoot hevi magnum blend in the 935 they will know what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        Yeah...stick to lead with your tighter chokes & they will shrink up. I'm kinda old school & always shot a bunch of lead 6 shot for turkeys.

Save the non-toxic for waterfowl & open up the choke.

Thank all y’all.. Will grab up some different loads and give it a go!

Comment

correction to earlier post. Gobblerguns.com is now http://www.robrobertsgunworks.com/new-page/

Comment

Working...
                          X