No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa Rifle Hunt 2016/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is obvious Boyd isn't going to fix these issues unless pressured to do so. He caused/allowed these problems to manifest. Hopefully the members of txbowhuner take the time to have their voice heard not just for yourselves but for the benefit of the next generation of public land hunters.

Rdtuggle@fws.gov

Comment

This is just crazy to hear. I understand that a big part of LAWR is bird watchers and winter Texans. The Ocelot is also an important subject. But this by no means should allow the management to discrimate against hunters. There's gotta be something that can be done to bring attention to this. I don't hunt the refuge, but I have once in the past and know this hunt is all ready tough as it is but could be extremely rewarding.

Maybe "as much as I hate to say it" the media needs to be involved. We have an outdoor writer for our local paper. Corpus Christi Caller Times. His name is David Sikes. He is the contributer for the outdoor section. Or maybe there's some one similar in the valley that could help bring this problem to light.

Reminds me alot of the federal game wardens that only show up down here during duck season. I believe one of the requirements when getting hired on with the USFWS is you must be ant hunter.
      Last edited by Muddy Bud; 01-24-2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Boyd contacted me again today to discuss the issue with Marion during the hunt. He said he will meet with her tomorrow and that negative attitude towards the hunters by her or any refuge personnel will not be tolerated. There has been far too many complaints about refuge personnel negative interaction with the hunters. Said he would email or call with an update next week

Comment

Thanks for your effort. I hate to be skeptical but up till now hunters opinions/complaints haven't carried much weight with Boyd. Amazing how many decades things ran smooth and consistent at the refuge before he arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by chancito1 View Post
            Boyd contacted me again today to discuss the issue with Marion during the hunt. He said he will meet with her tomorrow and that negative attitude towards the hunters by her or any refuge personnel will not be tolerated. There has been far too many complaints about refuge personnel negative interaction with the hunters. Said he would email or call with an update next week
            Good!

Comment

Originally posted by onthetake View Post
              Thanks for your effort. I hate to be skeptical but up till now hunters opinions/complaints haven't carried much weight with Boyd. Amazing how many decades things ran smooth and consistent at the refuge before he arrived.
              I doubt the others had inside help. I'm still skeptical as well he really sounds like a politician. Time will tell. It was a great place to hunt prior to the newbys taking over. Hopefully with enough pressure we can get that to change

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                It is sad that you have anti-hunters running a National Wildlife Refuge to start with. Hope we can turn this around!
                This is the reality all across public land. Most of the people working for USFW, forest service, even TPWD to an extent(not as bad as the federal level)..... got into it to protect and conserve the land and animals. The majority of them believe that the refuge all across the nation should be "A REFUGE" and only act like they support hunting, when in reality they really wish it would go away.

We as hunters (myself included) need to start doing a better job of being vocal about our issues. I know most of us make fun of the tree hugger protesters but they do get out and let their stance be heard and heard very loudly. (Squeeze wheel)

We need to start demanding better access to land that is ALL OF OURS, not the people who run and manage the land. The public hunting in TX is a joke if you compar it to most other state. I know that pretty much every other state has more public land but the way hunts are conducted are a joke. Most other states when you draw a tag they give you an entire season to conduct the hunt not just 3-5 days and never allow you to step foot on the property before hand. I understand that the hunts conducted on the state parks have to be way more controlled but there is no need to control the hunts as much as they are on our WMA's, corps property....

Comment

You guys should look into joining Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. LINK

They have a Texas chapter that is focusing on our issues as well as doing a great job at a national level to keep public land in the hands of the public and open to hunting and fishing.

Comment

Ongoing Chopper Hunts

Originally posted by chancito1 View Post
                    Boyd called me Friday spent well over an hour listening to him explain the reasoning behind the helicopter hunts. He did confirm that all future hunts from helicopters were canceled. He stated the USDA has put severe pressure on the refuge on eliminating nilgai due to cattle tick. The problem is my contact in the inside says he's speaking in partial truths and that refuge, especially Marion, have no desire to deal or support hunting on the refuge. I feel after our last conversation he deserves a chance to respond from this latest report

Had a neighbor of the refuge just contact me and inform me that they are currently conducting chopper hunts on the refuge. Hope its untrue, they are a pretty viable source though. So much for canceling all future hunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X