FBI vs Apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    No they weren't. Anything can be hacked given enough time and determination.

I absolutely see this as a win for Apple
    and Apple consumers. They gave the government a big F U and stuck to their guns.

They will just patch whatever hole the FBI found in a future software update anyway.
    If they gave the Gov't a "big F U", it looks like the FBI just returned to sender lol. I guess it's all a matter of perspective, if you guys somehow see this as a victory for Apple more power to you.

Comment

Their stock went up 2.49% today.

Comment

FBI lost.

Why tell everyone you can access an iPhone? Why show your "ace in the hole".

They're not to smart a that spy game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Slammer View Post
          If they gave the Gov't a "big F U", it looks like the FBI just returned to sender lol. I guess it's all a matter of perspective, if you guys somehow see this as a victory for Apple more power to you.

What you are saying makes zero sense.

Comment

What the fbi did was nothing more than a brute force attack on the iphone similar to what happens to your computer password.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
              What the fbi did was nothing more than a brute force attack on the iphone similar to what happens to your computer password.
              It has to have been at least a little more complicated than that. The whole ordeal here was that the data can't be recovered after (10?) wrong password attempts. Meaning you can't brute force, at least not using traditional means.

Comment

Apple most likely knew someone (if not who) could hack the phone..

and its unfortunate the FBI or DOJ or whomever didn't already know that person or company too. The whole thing smelled like a dog and pony show. The US should know all about the iphone for fighting terrorism..and I would have stayed hush hush about it and just done it if I were in the spy game. And if you think any of your data online or on a device is safe you're in for a surprise. I doubt the Israeli company even needed the actual phone...just that it was connected to the network.

Comment

It has to have been at least a little more complicated than that. The whole ordeal here was that the data can't be recovered after (10?) wrong password attempts. Meaning you can't brute force, at least not using traditional means.
                  no this is exactly what it was. you make a copy of the data with proprietary software/hardware, burn it to another device and pound on that instead of the original to preserve data. if you delete the copy, you start over.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                    no this is exactly what it was. you make a copy of the data with proprietary software/hardware, burn it to another device and pound on that instead of the original to preserve data. if you delete the copy, you start over.
                    Given the timeout intervals for the phone before the 10 count deletion...and then the time to reclone the image to the device and try to brute force the 4pin code.... and the amount of time it actually took them from the time the FBI handed them the device to the time they got a unlocked device back...I would say this method wasn't used.
                    •1-4 attempts: no delay
                    •5 attempts: 1 minute
                    •6 attempts: 5 minutes
                    •7-8 attempts: 15 minutes
                    •9 attempts: 1 hour
                    10 attempts - wipe device

Comment

multiple devices at the same time is also a possibility. if the fbi wanted this bad enough, they would spare no expense.

Comment

Working...
                      X