Reloading Issue on 6.5 Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My BIL and I are working on load development for my Grendel.

We are having a problem with it shooting 1 flyer out of a 3 shot group.
    It is the 2nd or 3rd shot. 2 shots out of the group are touching with the other being 1-1.5" off either left or right.
    We are using 28gr of H335, Hornandy brass and 120 Sierra BTHP.

What could be the issue? Opinions?

Dozens of things. I'd recommend going to a 5 shot grouping to see if you get more than one flier.

I'd post pics, give your seating depth, what primers, are you using a Chrono? How are you measuring powder, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
      Dozens of things. I'd recommend going to a 5 shot grouping to see if you get more than one flier.

I'd post pics, give your seating depth, what primers, are you using a Chrono? How are you measuring powder, etc.
      Thanks.
      Not using a Chrono (Do not have access to one). CCI Small Rifle Primer. Powder is measured on a mechanical scale.
      Overall Length was 2.245, Trim length was 1.515. We tried some deeper with a overall length of 2.225 but group opened up. Don't think we can go any longer due to the magazine.
      It was temperature was in low 80's with little wind. Barrel did not heat up.

Comment

Not to be a smartass or to discourage you from more load developement, but its the first shot that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Not to be a smartass or to discourage you from more load developement, but its the first shot that counts.
          I agree and i'm going to shoot 1 shot cold bore (since that is how it happens) and then wait a while and shoot another shot to see where it hits.

Comment

I would not call a shot 1" to 1.5" off a flyer. It might just be the gun and/or shooter. I would try the 5 shot groups as mentioned above and see what your group size is.

1.5" 3 shot group from a semi automatic AR is not bad. I assume AR and I assume 100yds.
            You might try different charge weights with the powder?
            You might try different powder?
            Have you shot factory loads? What group size on them?

Comment

I fought that with my 275 Rigby, I changed powder, charge, bullet weight, seating depth and still had 2 touch and 1 flyer. I switched to a different brand of bullet and had nice 5/8" groups. Sometimes it just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                Thanks.

Not using a Chrono (Do not have access to one). CCI Small Rifle Primer. Powder is measured on a mechanical scale.

Overall Length was 2.245, Trim length was 1.515. We tried some deeper with a overall length of 2.225 but group opened up. Don't think we can go any longer due to the magazine.

It was temperature was in low 80's with little wind. Barrel did not heat up.

A chronograph is a wise investment when doing load development. They really don’t cost that much money.

Also you should be able to seat out to at least 2.260. I run primarily C products mags and I run 2.280.

If you continue to have trouble the next steps are to try a different powder and/or bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

In my Grendel the IMR 8208XBR powder shot the best with 120 gr bullets, somewhere around the 27 grain mark. I was surprised at how accurate it is.

As far as the first shot only counting and load development comments, I would not even mess with reloading and just use factory fodder. Why waste your time? Its not gonna be any cheaper reloading and if you can hit a 6 inch circle at 200 yard with your factory ammo with a Grendel your good to go.

Not trying to be a smart azz, just seems odd to waste time and money reloading.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    A chronograph is a wise investment when doing load development. They really don’t cost that much money.

Also you should be able to seat out to at least 2.260. I run primarily C products mags and I run 2.280.

If you continue to have trouble the next steps are to try a different powder and/or bullets.

Thanks.
                    It does seem to work better the further out. I’ll try going to 2.26. I’m also using c products mag.
                    If not, I’ll try different bullet or powder. I have heard of using CFE223 and also 8208.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      In my Grendel the IMR 8208XBR powder shot the best with 120 gr bullets, somewhere around the 27 grain mark. I was surprised at how accurate it is.

As far as the first shot only counting and load development comments, I would not even mess with reloading and just use factory fodder. Why waste your time? Its not gonna be any cheaper reloading and if you can hit a 6 inch circle at 200 yard with your factory ammo with a Grendel your good to go.

Not trying to be a smart azz, just seems odd to waste time and money reloading.
                      The only factory ammo it shot good was federal gold metal.
                      I spoke with federal and they said it should be back in stock in October.

But the SST and hornady black were 4-5” groups at 100. I wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting an animal like that.

Comment

But the SST and hornady black were 4-5” groups at 100. I wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting an animal like that.
                        Have you tried Federal Fusion? Midway has that in stock.

4-5" will still put you in the kill zone of a pig, heck a scoped handgun that shoots a 4" group at 100 yards is bad arse. But I get what your saying.

If your from around Wilson county I can give you some 8208 to try.

Comment

Most barrels should shoot a good factory ammo in less than 4-5”. Is suspect you may have a barrel that’s not helping you out.

I’ve had mixed results with accuracy using CFE223. 8208 seems to do well for me.

Comment

What rifle are you shooting, optic are your shooting? I can tell you that Hornady brass is horribly inconsistent. I would suggest setting “flyer” brass to the side. Keep your accurate brass together. Weigh them and seen how consistent they are compared to the flyer brass. If you find that your brass suspect, try this.

In my super accurate rifles, consistent brass is key for accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                              Have you tried Federal Fusion? Midway has that in stock.

4-5" will still put you in the kill zone of a pig, heck a scoped handgun that shoots a 4" group at 100 yards is bad arse. But I get what your saying.

If your from around Wilson county I can give you some 8208 to try.
                              I tried a box of fusion. I had problems with it not ejecting and stove piping in chamber. I have since changed out the ejector so I might give them a chance again.

I do live in Wilson county. We loaded a few more but haven’t had a chance to shoot them. If they don’t group well then I might take you up on your offer.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X