School me on turkey guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on turkey guns

Been using the old 870 with 28" barrel, but I am considering a new shotgun. I see everyone on tv using these newer guns with sights, scopes, and red dots. Using optics with shot patterns versus an actual bullet has always seemed weird but evidently they work well. What setup do you use?

I used to use a Berretta AL390 that I bought used. Just a camo 3" gun with an aftermarket turkey choke. Kills 'em dead. Haven't killed one with a shotgun in awhile though. Rather bowhunt them. Any good 12ga. will do in a turkey. It's more about the ammo and the choke IMO.

Comment

Mine has been a Moss 500 with 24" barrel since '92. Added an extra full extended choke and groups #5 nickel plated just like I want. Reshaped and sanded the stock to mirror my '83 Rem Mdl Seven. Slimmed down the forearm and hand-checkered everything. The hand-cut checker diamonds eliminate any concerns with a good grip. The points are sharp.

Comment

Buy a turkey barrel for your 870...

Comment

Originally posted by Davik View Post
          Buy a turkey barrel for your 870...
          24" in length, 3.5" chamber with full choke(you'll be good to 60yds with the right ammo).
          I use a Mossberg 835 with 3" Winchester #6 supreme out of a full choke.

Comment

I'm kinda in the same boat and just need an 870 barrel. Where can one be had cheap?

Comment

I use my coyote shotgun for turkey - I just throw a plug in it to make it legal. It's a Winchester SX3 in camo. It's got a fiber optic bead up front. I kill running coyotes with it regularly out at 50-60yds. It works great for turkey. I film for a guy who'll use one of those scoped and dedicated turkey setup shotguns and I'm more deadly with my setup. Lol. The scopes are great for kids or those with limited shotgun experience, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I dunno.

I kill them pretty good with my old 870, 28" barrel. I did add a turkey choke a few years ago. I use it (with that choke) to shoot turkeys, coyotes and coons. Works great.

I have fooled around with a fiber optic bead, but really it doesn't make much difference.

I've killed a bunch of turkeys with a 20 ga and #5 pheasant loads, in an old 1100 with a Poly Choke.

It's not magic to get them to come into a reasonable shooting range.

Comment

Never used a "turkey gun" just shoot the dang thing

Comment

Sounds like you're good to go. Optics and all that stuff isn't really necessary. They're pretty easy to hit.

Comment

I used to kill turkeys with an Ithaca 12 gauge pump and 2 3/4 in. #4 shot. Since neither I or the birds knew any better, it worked fine. I just had to wait til he got inside 35 yards before blasting away.

Comment

School me on turkey guns

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        I used to use a Berretta AL390 that I bought used. Just a camo 3" gun with an aftermarket turkey choke. Kills 'em dead. Haven't killed one with a shotgun in awhile though. Rather bowhunt them. Any good 12ga. will do in a turkey. It's more about the ammo and the choke IMO.

I went turkey hunting for the first time in 8 years recently and freaked out when I couldn't find my turkey choke. Apparently I left my turkey choke in my 390 for the last 8 years and have been duck and dove hunting off and on with it since. No wonder I had a though time dove hunting last year when I broke out my old shotgun[emoji23].

Comment

1958 Browning Sweet 16 works pretty good on em with #4's and a full choke

Comment

$250 (back when I was 13) Mossy 500 with full choke. I tried scopes, red dots, hiviz and other sights and am now back to the ol' bead. (The gun in my avatar)

No need in spending a fortune on a shotgun to shoot turkeys. Remember, people dang near sent turkeys into extinction in the 1900's with 2 3/4 shot shells. Any shot gun will work.

Comment

Remington 870.

load with turkey shot pump and pull trigger. Schooling DONE!

Comment

Working...
                              X