Bought an AR, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought an AR, now what?

I'm a bow hunter and have always been one. I don't shoot guns very often. I've been wanting to get an AR platform gun and last night I did.

I've got an Armalite Eagle with the wylde barrel.

That's about all I know.

I'd like to change up some of the accessories on it, but I don't know what or where to get them.
    Any suggestions?
    I'm really a novice when it comes to this, so please keep it simple and explain what you're saying.

I did some searching on here and I see several mentions about SBR ( no clue what that means)

It's bare bones right now. I bought a couple mags, and a rear sight. I'm thinking about maybe a red dot scope, but not sure if it's what I want or need.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SBR stands for short barrel rifle. If I were you I would start by putting a good trigger in it then put optics on it

Comment

Bought an AR, now what?

SBR is a Short Barrel Rifle.
      Here's a link to wiki

The twist rate can be important to know. Heavier bullets need a faster twist rate to stabilize.
      But lighter bullets in a fast twist can be over stabilized, I think that's how to say it.
      Here's a chart that helps

You can change up all the accessories on it. Me I'd personally shoot it and see what you don't like or want to change.
      I bought a Delton, didn't like the front sight or military style hand guards. So when I bought it I had them remove the front sight, swap out to a free float hand guard. Why? I think it looks cleaner.
      Shot it some. Didn't like the trigger or the grip, I wear a 2XL glove. Trigger had more take up than I cared for plus it was heavy. I added a cmc or cmmg 3.5# single stage trigger and a BCM Gunfighter grip w/interchangeable back straps.
      Next item on my list is an extended receiver extension and a butt pad. Intent is to increase my LOP. LOP is Length of Pull, which is a measurement from the back of the butt plate to the trigger. I'm 6'7" tall I've got long arms.

I'm using the Nikon P223 Carbine scope on mine. It's a fixed 3X scope. I'm liking it cause I can pick up my target fairly quickly. I was hoping to test my target acquisition out on some hogs last weekend. They didn't cooperate [emoji20]

As far as where to get them. My buddy owns a gun store. I go there. But there all kinds of websites.
      Last edited by Pushbutton2; 11-12-2016, 06:59 AM.

Comment

AR-15 is the Barbie Doll for grown men. You accessorize in any way you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cabelas has a short Burris 3-9x40 scope with a free Redfield one piece cantilever picatinny rail base for $119. That's a good starting point.

Comment

So a short scope is better than a red dot? Or is it just preference?

Comment

It's all preference. Primary arms in Pearland is a great place for parts.
              AR 15 Parts and Accessories for sale at Primary Arms. Your one stop shop for all your firearms needs with the best customer service in the industry.

I would start with a trigger. It made the biggest difference on the AR I built. The rest are just little things that make it mine.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post

Preference. Depends what you want to do with the gun. On my hunting upper I have a 3-9 scope and on my cheap plinking one I put a red dot

Comment

I would advise that you look at pictures here or online and see if there is a look you prefer. That will get you a goal set. You also should decide what your primary purpose of the rifle will be; i.e range toy, hunting, self defense, etc.

Most importantly show us pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What are you going to use the gun for? Modify / accessorize based on its intended purpose / use.

Comment

Home defense and maybe some hunting. I don't rifle hunt much and when I do I've only got a .223. So I could just hunt with this for fun.

Comment

You will probably have to start off with a second job

Once you get going on the mods it won't stop.

There are gun shows every few weeks. Hit one of those up and you will see and endless types of AR mods that are done and will give you some ideas of what you may like.

Comment

I bought a Nikon P-223 4-12x40 on an AR that is too long. The eyepiece is right at the charging handle and the objective lense is almost to the front of the heat shield. That's why I said I'd recommend a shorter scope.

Comment

Eotech

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post

Just preference. I built a budget AR and tossed a cheap Primary Arms red dot on it. But I prefer my Vortex Viper PST 1-4x that I have on another rifle.

I think a 1-4x scope is a good scope to have on an AR. Mine has been used to hunt at 25-400 yards. Good little scope. I think Burris makes a cheaper 1-4c that's pretty decent as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X