No announcement yet.

Any advice for a first time T-Ball coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vodka-- they cant smell it on your breath.

And lots of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Loreva13 View Post
      X2 I agree with this

Comment

Teach the kids how to catch and make sure they aren't using those cheap little t-ball gloves. I've never seen a kid be able to catch effectively with those. Also, when the ball is in play, yelling instructions to the kids does little good.....no one will hear you and you will just end up not being able to talk the next day. I think the other pointers such as Vodka and meds have been covered, so I'll leave those alone.

Comment

Been there before!

Only advice I have is when you look out and your left fielder has his glove on his head and is peeing his name in the grass try and take it lightly!

Comment

in all seriousness, make them wear a cup. It may not affect them now, but it will get them used to it for later on down the road. most kids dont hit the ball or throw the ball hard enough at this age to hurt anyone, but later on they will have a good habit of playing with protection. Was the best thing i learned in t-ball and most guys still do it in college

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
              in all seriousness, make them wear a cup. It may not affect them now, but it will get them used to it for later on down the road. most kids dont hit the ball or throw the ball hard enough at this age to hurt anyone, but later on they will have a good habit of playing with protection. Was the best thing i learned in t-ball and most guys still do it in college
              I make my boys wear a men's large cup for the intimidation factor alone.

Comment

Leave the cooler full of beer at home... true story.. (no..not me )

Comment

I agree with cajun and Lizerd!!! Controlling the parents is huge, keep them out of the dugout when the kid get a little bo-bo and mama comes running!!! they want to give them a baby bottle etc..... always kneel down to the kids level when explaining stuff,
                  keeps them from being intimidated.

Comment

Start them off in the box , throw a pitch past them, have them run the bases from there. Let them enjoy what is going on then start teaching and correcting. Set them in a circle and just talk about the game and what goes on. Most only see it on TV and have no understanding of the game.

Comment

1st base and pitcher is definitely the game changer!!!

Comment

I want my kid to play on Chews team.

Comment

Patients, patients, patients. Told my girls there would be no tears, only smiles and laughter and having fun. We had enough fun just smiling and learning to play that we won first two years in a row. Fun times and no parent issues.

Comment

Here's what I've done. The first thing I've get to tell you though is that my philosophy is this... T-BALL... let me repeat... T-BALL... is about fun. Fun enough to play again next year. Not just the good ones, but every one of them. This does not always translate into a win. In fact, our team lost a lot of games because I would not make strategic defensive decisions. In other words, as long as a kid tried they kept their position. The other thing is that if a kid showed promise then I expected them to throw and catch, not run down a player or roll a ball to first. First base will have a lot of balls get by them, that is just part of the learning curve for the second baseman and especially your pitcher.

1. The night that you are assigned your kids/parents contact information send a group email introducing yourself, providing your best contact number (best for you), practice days, practice times, practice locations, equipment needed for practice, equipment needed for games, what equipment will be provided by the league (cap, shirt, etc), LEAGUE RESOURCE (ex. league website). Let them know they can find info about game schedules, locations, rosters, rain-outs, etc there... hopefully... if not provide that information in that email. Do not provide a roster with names yet. Some parents may not want this broadcast yet to ensure that they know who is getting their kiddos information. In the same email, VERY IMPORTANT: Request parent involvement in practices as "assistants". Their kids will have more fun, the parents will be appreciative, greatly reduces critical critique by anxious parents by allowing them to share the responsibility. Impress upon them the need to contact you by email if they have ANY QUESTIONS...ANY! This will come in handly when one asks a really good one and you can reply to the entire team the question and answer. I head the email with this quote as well, "When they start the game, they don't yell, "Work ball." They say, "Play ball." ~Willie Stargell, 1981

Second, because you asked for volounteers you will see who has knowledge or a way with the kiddos that will be of help in teaching them baseball skills. Or, who is best at maintaining order in the dug-out. This responsibility is one of the toughest on the field.
                            Figure these two coaching positions out, they will be of great assistance to you.

My first baseman has been a kiddo with a lot of prior instruction. He could catch well, knew where his foot was supposed to be and wasn't afraid of the ball.

Pitcher, aggressive. Wants the ball, runs it down, a nice little arm to effectively get the ball to the pitcher is a BIG PLUS.

The rest of the positions. Rotate them out if you can, but the pitcher and the first baseman are going to be the busiest. Make sure your outfield knows to get the ball back to the field as fast as possible, JUST get it back to the field to stop the runner... back up first... lots of drops.

Move the kids around a little, especially the ones that ask. This is supposed to be fun and more than likely they'll come back to the position that makes the most sense for their skill level. The player and the parent appreciates this.

Batting order. Line'em up let'em have fun. This is where even the little bats and big bats have fun. Get those little bats in position to become an RBI and run the bases. My big piece of advice is to either use name badges or their numbers to keep order on the bench and everyone in batting order. This is where your dug-out coach comes into play. They should have the kids sitting on the bench in order, baseball gloves sitting where the kids can find them, batting helmets on or ready, catcher either putting on or removing equipment, because you are going to be busy either pitching or base coaching while your other assistant is covering as another base coach. You're not going to have time to manage this effectively.

KEEP ALL BATS OUTSIDE OF THE DUGOUT, next to the on deck circle. Every kiddo will likely have their own endorsement deal including bat, bag, custom helmet, balls, etc, etc.

Get your own equipment. Buy a bucket of balls, some cones for drills. Use these, do not use the kids baseballs. Just creates a headache having to track down a particular ball, etc.

Have your practices already planned out. Warm up drills... use the same ones each practice. Provide homework for parents, Look at YouTube, there are some great T-ball drills on there for parents. Practice a game like scenario every practice, except the first one or two. The first one or two practices should be used to let them get the feel of the practice schedule, emphasize basics and learn to like just being out there.

Practice running the bases. Don't worry about a bat. Stand in the box, the swing an imaginary bat, you make a hit sound (fun) and they HUSTLE to first. Optional: Assist Coach can be there waving them to second or holding them at first. You'll need a third base coach if you hold them because this will become confusing to them quickly.

So much more, but you're going to love it. Sorry about the long post but these are the thing that I thought would get you off to a quick fun start and get your parents involved thereby avoiding the biggest complaint by parents of being under-informed.

Comment

NNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! THEY NEED TO WIN!!!! LOSING IS FOR LOSERS!!!!….. kidding just remember they're kids

Comment

Originally posted by Raider Power View Post
                                NNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! THEY NEED TO WIN!!!! LOSING IS FOR LOSERS!!!!….. kidding just remember they're kids
                                Saw a coach wearing a full uniform and had this attitude too. Kinda funny at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X