Self employed health insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self employed health insurance?

Ready to make the jump to being self employed although the healthcare premiums I’ve seen have been keeping me anchored to my current job.

What do you self employed folks do as far as health insurance?

Anyone on here in the business?

been in the business 40 years - your options for individual coverage are very limited - if it is just you then probably looking at 600-800 per month for a high deductible plan - add your wife or kids and that will more than double -

Comment

Look before you leap. If you have to join the exchange to get coverage expect to pay a whole lot for a whole little.

Comment

I WAS paying $450 a month for a $10k deductible plan through BCBS that I was happy with since we are healthy and really only needed it for catastrophic events. But since the government ‘fixed’ it for us all my premiums are now +$1600 for a $13k deductible with less coverage

I left a great corporate job to start a business and this is my least favorite part of the self employed life. I could hire an entry level employee part time for the amount of the increase.

Comment

Btw - the best deal we’ve found is BCBS-TX

Comment

I am, and I just do cash pay. No insurance. It’s almost always cheaper.

Comment

My brother in law sells insurance. His name is Randal Rutledge. Look him up on facebook or pm me for his number. I got a temporary policy between jobs and it was a lot cheaper than what y'all quoted.

Comment

Christian Healthcare Ministries... my brother uses them and says they are great. I pay cash, have for decades.

Comment

I’ve done numerous short term plans that were cheap. Currently have BCBS of TX annual plan for $366/month.

Comment

You guys that pay cash, how does that work when you do your income taxes and the IRS ask to see your health coverage? Is a penalty assessed?

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                      You guys that pay cash, how does that work when you do your income taxes and the IRS ask to see your health coverage? Is a penalty assessed?
                      I’m not 26 yet, so I can’t be penalized. “ Technically” could still be on my parents, but it was costing them an arm and a leg so I just went cash pay.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                        Christian Healthcare Ministries... my brother uses them and says they are great. I pay cash, have for decades.
                        This is what we use ,and it’s been great, they have been a great blessing to us when my wife got cancer. Very happy with them

Comment

tag

Comment

BCBS-TX is who i use. I now offer it to my staff so i get a group rate. I have to pay half of theirs but it still ends up being a better deal for me. Paid with pre tax dollars and it lowered my family premium just by becoming a small group. Trump did away with the penalty for not having insurance so no worries for those that pay cash.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                              Someone who is more familiar with the current healthcare laws may be able to correct me on this, but from my understanding, your no longer penalized by having no coverage...

Now that you say that, I’m wondering if I should just pocket the premium payments and set that aside for any expenses incurred. A buddy of mine found out his wife needed a treatment that wasn’t covered under their insurance at a cost of $250k. He called me panicking and I told him call back and ask what the cash price would be if he paid the same day as the operation, they took a day or two to get him a number but he ended up paying $4500 for the same surgery they would bill the insurance company $250k for. Such a joke!

Comment

Working...
                              X