Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really dumb [fishing] question - DFW

Gang -

I understand with the season fast approaching we're all most focused on flying bacon-wrapped bird goodness and venison coming to a freezer near you - I'm on board. I also have been looking to get some fishing in - hopefully more rather than less. But, I've never been one for catch-and-release in most cases. I don't knock it - my family just couldn't afford to catch-and-release when I was growing up - lol.

That said, I live up in Arlington and all I ever see is water warnings and 'for the sake of all things - don't eat fish out of xyz water body.'

Can anyone tell me a good place to go catch edible fish around here? Love me a good catfish sandwich and some crappie wouldn't be out of place in my fryer..

Thanks!
    LaS

As far as I know, nothing W/E of DFW has a warning. Whitney, Aquilla, Joe Pool, etc.

Comment

Joe pool is probably the closest lake. Not sure about catfish, but has crappie and white bass.

Comment

Lotta places around DFW to get fish. Just depends on what your willing to settle for. And distance your willing to travel.

Comment

Whitney is worth the drive and is really not too far from Arlington.

Comment

I pretty routinely get down to Cedar Creek Lake/King's Creek. Any reason to stay away from those guys?

I'll travel a good ways as long as I can make the trip to/from in a day and have reasonable success. I'm not married to any kind of fish or any water body - whatever tastes good.

Comment

Lake worth is the only lake, so I don't know what info your see for dfw.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                Lake worth is the only lake, so I don't know what info your see for dfw.
                I thought lake Arlington had a warning also? All of the trinity river system in Ft Worth have bans. Lake Worth is only bottom feeding fish, but I've ate some catfish out of there and I'm still alive. Lol

Comment

Lake Worth dose not have a ban on consumption. But dose have a "consumption warning" for catfish to eat no more than X number of ounces per month for health reasons. Everything below the Benbrook dam and Lake Worth Dam going into the Trinity, and through Dallas, on all fish, "dose have a ban on catching for consumption".

Comment

Get on a windy point or rocks early in the morning with some Danny Kings punch bait on Joe Pool Ray Roberts or Cedar Creek. Maybe at night will work to as hot as it is right now

Comment

I have finally come to the conclusion that HEB is the best place to fish at 6.99/lb for catfish.

Comment

Lavon for crappie

Comment

Grapevine is close to you for sandies

Comment

Joe pool deep clean clear and unpolluted !
                            Great eating any fish out of the main lake body for sure .

Comment

Working...
                            X