Help me settle a music debate please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been having an ongoing discussion with a few guys on here that claim Robert Earl Keen is "red dirt".

I say that he is not and the red dirt movement is just a gaggle of REK/JJW wanna be's. I mean, a real Texan would know better than to compare his chick to bluebonnets in the summertime

I will keep said member's names a secret to save them the embarrassment when they are proven wrong Well, unless I have underestimated the amount of guys here that throw their panties on the stage of The Red Dirt **** Band

last year at the ranch bash, a huge outdoor concert put on by a local radio station, the quaker city knighthawks where on stage. about half way through their set the lead man says "we are the quaker city knighthawks, and we don't give a ***** what color your dirt is". I think that pretty much sums it up.

Comment

I would never consider REK as "red dirt".

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

wasn't this covered in Hang Over 2?

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
              wasn't this covered in Hang Over 2?
              Haha

Comment

No way man! Without REK's influence those red dirt guys would be wearin strait bill hats and skinny jeans playin the Nashville blues! No way you can dump him in the red dirt category.

Comment

I consider REK Texas Country because he does not conform to Nashville
                  Country. According to the Internet Texas country is Red Dirt and we all know the Internet is never wrong LOL
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	24301260

Comment

Yup, Started in the Sooner state.

Comment

I would say no, but can't argue with the internet

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyBee View Post
                        we all know the Internet is never wrong LOL
                        [ATTACH]616488[/ATTACH]
                        Lol. No never
                        Attached Files

Comment

Texas Country - I never really liked the "Red Dirt" term. I guess we could just categorize him as "Good Music"!

Comment

not sure how to categorize REK. I know he won some awards years ago at the Kerrville folk festival, so there is some folk influence. Definitely some old honkey tonk in him as well. In his concerts, he can get pretty southern rock at times. So according to the wiki definition above, maybe he is red dirt! It really doesn't matter to me. He kicks *** either way. He was nice enough to give my little girl the pick from his pocket after a show at lone star park a few years ago. Not the generic logo picks all the bands throw to the crowd 20 times a show. Just a plain old yellow pick he signed REK for her.

Comment

A

I'm gonna say that REK is neither country music or red dirt (w/o a doubt in the red dirt part).

It's like calling Dylan rock n roll, it's not right. These guys are what I consider songwriters/storytellers. And he is one of the best

Comment

Working...
                              X