Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
bsills
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Maverick County
Default Hiking vs Hunting boots

Whats the difference between hunting and hiking boots? I am looking for a new pair of boots for an upcoming elk hunt. Now is the time to buy and get good deals, but man are there options. Even on sale I won't spend over $200. Wanting something very comfortable, waterproof, and built to last. I know if I spend a little more i could get a little more but not looking for boots over $200. Any pointers on your favorites or your least favorites please let me know.
bsills is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
MadHatter
Ten Point

Hiking boots are better, across the board imo. Some people have a thing for camo, but more research is put into technical hiking boots, than hunting boots. Some of the newer companies may have a jam up boot, but a hiking manufacturer is probably making them.
My favorites are Solomon's, and Oboz. I put over 1700 miles on my oboz last yr, hunting, fishing, and hiking. My second pair, and they definetly last longer than any Solomon, but not the same comfort. Anyway, good luck on your search.

Last edited by MadHatter; 02-07-2018 at 08:42 AM.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
BowDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina County

Hunting boots - you want insulation... as much as you can get. Don't need the insulation so much in a boot used primarily for hiking. I got these for under $200 on sale... Danner Men's High Ground 8 Realtree X 1000G Hiking Boot

Last edited by BowDude; 02-07-2018 at 08:40 AM.
BowDude is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

If you look around, you can find a pair of Danner Pronghorn that will get the job done, just make sure you put plenty of miles in them to break them in before you go (100+ miles is my benchmark)

Though, in my opinion, there's 2 MAJOR items you don't want to be cheap on (I know there's a few more but these for sure) is good boots and a pack. I would recommend you look closer to the under $300 price range and get a nice pair of technical hiking boots and good wool socks.
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDude View Post
Hunting boots - you want insulation... as much as you can get. Don't need the insulation so much in a boot used primarily for hiking. I got these for under $200 on sale... Danner Men's High Ground 8 Realtree X 1000G Hiking Boot
You can get insulation in hiking boots no problem. Thinsulate insulation over 400grms is a scam anyway (info came straight from a boot manufacture).
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
B Littleton
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County & Public Land

I purchased these recently. Put about 35 miles on them before my Devil's River aoudad hunt, and they absolutely saved my feet/ankles in that extremely rough, loose rocky terrain...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...kI9w&gclsrc=ds
B Littleton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I would put as much as you can toward a quality pair of boots if you are going to be doing any real hiking/packing. If you're road hunting or stand hunting then it won't matter as much.

I have some of the Cabela's that are made by Meindl and absolutely love them. After about 2 years I upgraded to the SuperFeet Hunt insole and it made them a brand new boot. (I think I paid around $230?)

If you want super comfortable, waterproof and built to last you may need to look in the $200-$300 range. My buddy got the Hoka One One hikers and loved them for his Colorado hunts this year but said if he would have been carrying heavy loads they would have been a little too soft

Last edited by hooligan; 02-07-2018 at 10:00 AM.
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
gonzaleziam
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Great info men. Thanks.
gonzaleziam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #9
Mr. Redlabels
Six Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co.

Lowas are great, I also have some Rocky boots that are really good too. The reason that I prefer the Lowas are because mine are waterproof, I put lots of miles in some bad terrain on them and they are nice!
Mr. Redlabels is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
NoFence
Eight Point

Go to REI and try on some Solomon quest 4D GTX. They're on sale for $180 right now. I wore them elk hunting last year and they're awesome. I hiked a total of 3 miles in them prior to going to CO and they were already broke in. Don't even waste your time trying on the pronghorns.
NoFence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
In-Yo-Grill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waring, TX

I got some Danner boots for my Wisconsin Pheasant hunt. I also use them for work boots and dove hunting here in Texas. The are not insulated but are waterproof w/ Gortex. If it's cold I just layer socks to keep my feet warm. So far it's worked out well.

That being said, I just got a pair of Redwing boots. The are Irish Setter Wing Shooters. Also water proof and no insulation. These are so comfortable on my feet I feel like I could actually play basketball with them.
In-Yo-Grill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #12
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Another difference that I've noticed with a lot of hiking boots is stiffness. I know there are different styles, but for the most part, quality hiking boots are stiffer than average for additional ankle and foot support.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
Texans42
Ten Point

Different companies present hunting vs hiking differently.

For Danner just means it has camo and insulation option.

Lowa, Hanwag, Zamberlan, Crispi etc hunting is a bestseller mid flex range for NA market. But in general hiking boot has more flex then backpacking, alpine, mountain Etc

I get more fatigue with less stiff or more flexible boots. Everyone is different
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #14
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsills View Post
Whats the difference between hunting and hiking boots? I am looking for a new pair of boots for an upcoming elk hunt. Now is the time to buy and get good deals, but man are there options. Even on sale I won't spend over $200. Wanting something very comfortable, waterproof, and built to last. I know if I spend a little more i could get a little more but not looking for boots over $200. Any pointers on your favorites or your least favorites please let me know.
=< $200

Salewa Rapace(stiffest)
Danner Gila (just a touch above Salomon stiff)
Salomon 4d (GTX least stiff)
Crispi valdes(need to watch sales) almost Salewa stiff
Old 02-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #15
Hockley
Eight Point

Lowa Renegades for me. In your price range and a great quality boot. Danner used to be good, but quality has gone way down hill.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #16
ken
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Littleton View Post
I purchased these recently. Put about 35 miles on them before my Devil's River aoudad hunt, and they absolutely saved my feet/ankles in that extremely rough, loose rocky terrain...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...kI9w&gclsrc=ds
I have the same boots and they worked well for me on a mountain goat hunt in Alaska. I wear a wide width boot and I like that these come in wide.
ken is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #17
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDude View Post
IF you sit in a stand all the time while hunting. If you're hiking, climbing, spotting and stalking during your hunt, then you don't need so much insulation.

The main difference between hunting boots and hiking boots is that hunting boots are often camo, and hiking boots aren't. Other than that, they're pretty much the same.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #18
B Littleton
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County & Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
I have the same boots and they worked well for me on a mountain goat hunt in Alaska. I wear a wide width boot and I like that these come in wide.

Yep. The width was why I went with these as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B Littleton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #19
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I have some Vasque hiking boots that I love, but when hunting I want over the calf boots that lace and zip.
grizzman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #20
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
Go to REI and try on some Solomon quest 4D GTX. They're on sale for $180 right now. I wore them elk hunting last year and they're awesome. I hiked a total of 3 miles in them prior to going to CO and they were already broke in. Don't even waste your time trying on the pronghorns.
If the quest 4D is on for $180 thatís likely the best you can can get for the money. I think itís probably the best for the price even at full retail
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #21
Bowhuntin_Toona
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montana

There are two things that can get you into trouble and get you out of trouble. Your feet. Do NOT scrimp on boots when going into the mountains.

Lowa, Crispi, Kenetrek, Zamberlain and Mendle are all designed for mountain hunting and hiking.

The main difference between hiking and hunting boots is the height. Most hiking boots are not that tall (6"), while most hunting boots start at 8" and go up.
Bowhuntin_Toona is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #22
bsills
Pope & Young

Can you post a link. I show $230 for those boots.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
Old 02-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #23
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
If the quest 4D is on for $180 thatís likely the best you can can get for the money. I think itís probably the best for the price even at full retail

They are close outs so sizing will be limited. Salomon has upgraded to the ď4D 3Ē version
Old 02-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #24
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Can you post a link. I show $230 for those boots.
Thank you
Search quest 4d gtx 2. Full price is the new 2018 version noted by the ď3Ē generation. Discounted ones are the ď2Ē generation
Old 02-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #25
NoFence
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
Search quest 4d gtx 2. Full price is the new 2018 version noted by the ď3Ē generation. Discounted ones are the ď2Ē generation
Yeah just Google it. I didn't realize they updated them.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #26
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Big question, where/when/what kind of elk hunt are we talking? A backpack hunt in steep, nasty country are going to require good boots. A cow hunt on a private ranch and a pair of Walmark Hi-Techs would probably be all you need. What time of year? What kind of terrain? Lots of variables here.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #27
stayfit
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas & Western States

Good point about what kind of hunt. If you are talking about archery elk in September...
No way you want insulated boots, quite the opposite.
Definitely want waterproof boots and maybe some gaiters for certain situations.
Hiking boots are lighter and since you are going to climb a bazillion steps save energy. Assuming your ankles are not a problem
Moderately priced boots are fine, expedition boots not needed
Put 50 up/down hill miles on them before you go

I have over been on over 20 archery elk hunts and pain can be a great tutor
stayfit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #28
bsills
Pope & Young

Thanks for all the replies and guidance. At this point i am leaning to the Salomon Quest 4d 3gtx. They have them for $220 at rei and were comfortable. What are the chance of these going on sale this spring? Most prices about the same online, if they are not going to go on sale i would just go ahead and buy them. Let me know if you have any more thoughts.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #29
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

My hunting partner was on a SEAL team and had several pairs of boots in boxes he left the Navy with. He said these were what was issued to the SEAL team and he gave me a pair that was a little too small fir him.

Amazing product. If I wear them out, Iím buying a second pair.

Danner Arcadias. $360-ish but worth every dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #30
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies and guidance. At this point i am leaning to the Salomon Quest 4d 3gtx. They have them for $220 at rei and were comfortable. What are the chance of these going on sale this spring? Most prices about the same online, if they are not going to go on sale i would just go ahead and buy them. Let me know if you have any more thoughts.
Not a good chance at all. I donít think I saw the 2s go on sale until now unless it was a really short sale
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #31
NoFence
Eight Point

Quote:
Not sure about spring but I paid full price last summer. But I sure was surprised how little breaking in they needed. And waterproofness is good for walking in wet grass or crossing shallow creeks.