Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Aransas National Wildlife Refuge Archery Info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 Aransas National Wildlife Refuge Archery Info.

This is what I have so far. Hunt will be scheduled for Oct 3-11. Permits can be purchased through Kinsal when they come available. They hope that will happen this week. Price will remain the same as last year.

Annual IBEP course will be set for Sept. 19-20. Class starts at 0730 at the Vistors Center. Bring BUG SPRAY, food, water, and clothing for walking in brush and tall grass that can contain snakes and maybe a gator. Point of contact for class 361-222-1152 (Danny).

PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION ALONG.

I wish I was still in Texas. I like this place.

Comment

I hunted it last year for the first time.........and probably the last. Call me a wuss but I cannot handle the mosquitos again.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas5o View Post
        I hunted it last year for the first time.........and probably the last. Call me a wuss but I cannot handle the mosquitos again.
        And the Mosquitos weren't that bad last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
          And the Mosquitos weren't that bad last year.
          Maybe not, but when I would open up my pickup door in the early morning darkness (dome light comes on), get out as quickly as possible and still have 200-300 mosquitos inside before I can close the door, that's too many for me.

Comment

A couple of mornings they were pretty bad. I cheat and light up my Thermacell a couple of minuets before I park. Makes a difference.

Last Quarter moon phase on the 4th, dark evenings coming out. Should be a good year for acorns. The tall grass/weeds will make the walk in/out a little difficult, not to mention holding Mosquitos. I hoping for a norther to cool things off.

Who's all going?

Comment

Just checked the refuge website. The hunt permits are available for purchase.

Comment

I am going.

Comment

I am going to look around on Saturday and Sunday as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cprothro View Post
                    I am going to look around on Saturday and Sunday as well.
                    Awesome, on site field report...........Thanks in advance!!!!

1. How many acorns?

2. How tall is the grass?

3. Ditches and ponds full of water?

4. Fawn Crop?

Comment

Here are the question answers:
                      1. Don't know but with rains probably a good crop.
                      2. Rains have produced lots of grass, but with heat it will take a beating before the hunt.
                      3. Ponds yes but again heat will probably pull the water down a good bit
                      4. Everything I have seen in the Rockport area says great fawn crop with lots of twins.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead2314 View Post
                        Here are the question answers:
                        1. Don't know but with rains probably a good crop.
                        2. Rains have produced lots of grass, but with heat it will take a beating before the hunt.
                        3. Ponds yes but again heat will probably pull the water down a good bit
                        4. Everything I have seen in the Rockport area says great fawn crop with lots of twins.
                        And no mosquitoes were harmed in filing this report, we need a boots on the ground report with blood loss......

Comment

That report will happen with the IBEP class in Sept. Im not giving blood up for free.

Comment

Talked with Hoopers. They lost their pravilon in a storm but the other damages have been repaired. All rooms are booked.

RV and Tent camp sites with electricity are $25 per night. Regular tent camping is $10 per night with showers and restrooms.

Comment

As an update I did go down to the refuge. There was fresh water in the ponds. Also at 1:30 PM I saw a herd of three does. I saw a large sounder of hogs wallowing in one of the lakes as well. I was only there about two hours but I just wanted to see what the terrain and vegetation was going to look like. It seems as though it could be rough to travel distance if they do not open up more of the roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X