Anyone hunt Davey Crockett Ntl Forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hunt Davey Crockett Ntl Forest

Went this weekend for the first time in nearly 10 yrs..had a big doe on me this morning and couldnt get a shot off. I shoot trad and didnt want to just make a shot. Werent a LOT of hunters either but hear that may change come gun season

I used to hunt there a lot about 10 years ago. I assume nothing has changed, so you can expect big crowds opening weekend of gun season. Funny thing is, it can get real quiet the 2nd weekend. Have you ever scouted the Big Slough wilderness area? Used to be some good bucks in there. Bow hunting is a lot of fun on the DCM. Gun hunting can be a little like a war zone unless you get deep in the woods. Let us know how you do.

Comment

was googling the slough area actually looks promising, big bucks like swampy areas cause they can lose their scent in the water areas..I strictly bowhunt and luckily will be at Granger WMA opening weekend on a draw hunt

Comment

The davey crockett guys won't talk, these threads always get alot of hits but no replys, guess they think they are keeping the place a secret.

Comment

I hunted there opening day of bow this year for 4 days didnt see but a few bucks and probably half a dozen does but it was a full moon and there where probably about 50 hunters in my general area and I camped and rock hole and hunted the river. The river is where the big bucks are.

Comment

And the reason no one talks about davey crockett it is cause it is hunted by mostly locals around the area and there are some huge bucks there but I know they are by the river on the edge of the boys hunting camp lease.

Comment

My new unting "PARTNER" has been hunting there the last 10 yrs..he was 'sposed to make the show last weekend but MIL came up in hospital late Fri. He spotted a nice 12 pt on opening weekend. Am going to my draw hunt in Granger next week and am planning on making DC sat and sun as I dont check in for my draw until 10;45 mon.
              The thing I like about DC is Im able to use my 4 wheeler to retrieve my game.. went pretty deep at LBJ today and thought.."GONG TO BE A LONG HAUL" to the pickemup truck if I shoot something

Comment

I chased a few real bruisers in the big slough area. If I remember right, it goes all the way to the river, but you cant take any 4 wheelers in there. Goos luck with it and let us know how you do.

Comment

I actually lived in the area and can say that there are some great spots. I have hunted a lot of the type 2 areas and had sucess. Nothing big but meat. I would check out the places off the beaten path. there was a 170 taken out of there 2 years ago! good luck and wear hunters orange!!

Comment

All I am gonna say and I told you already longstick is Alabama Creek WMA by the river. I know you aint going hunting in alabama creek you hunt just the normal part. Let me know how you do this weekend and next week on your draw hunt and at granger

Comment

Originally posted by quickstrike View Post
                      All I am gonna say and I told you already longstick is Alabama Creek WMA by the river. I know you aint going hunting in alabama creek you hunt just the normal part. Let me know how you do this weekend and next week on your draw hunt and at granger
                      Thanks buddy...I see whe have an AVATAR at last!

Comment

heres an opening day sucess story

Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I've signed in here on the forum. I hope everyone is doing well. I wanted to post a photo of my buddies buck which was shot in the Davy Crockett National Forest on Opening Day evening hunt. The buck is a great 8 pt and weighed in the 170lb range. We saw a total of 9 bucks of this caliber that were shot opening day. We saw alot of deer over the weekend while hunting and the ducks were everywhere. We are already planning a trip back to the Big Slough Wilderness Area for a combo deer/duck hunt. Enjoy the photos.

Comment

wow! he's a tall one! nice buck!

Comment

That ole neck sure is swoll up. Looks good.

Comment

Who says there aint no deer on public land. Nice lookin' buck and a job well done .Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X