No announcement yet.

Field points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me again - what exactly are the .600 shafts you are using?

Rick

Comment

GT Warriors

Comment

I used 3Rivers originally. I bought the 600s on Jim's recommendation.

Comment

I don't have the specs on the warriors.

Look them up, and get me the outside diameter, weight of inserts, weight of nocks, and their weight in grains per inch.

I can figure you an almost deadnutz calc with that information.

Comment

Depending on how old the TC is it will inherently be harder to tune than the recurve because it is most likely cut to center. Then add in the shelf material and it will be less than center cut. His new bows are all cut past center. Id be willing to bet the curve is probably cut a little past center therefore easier to tune.
            Anyways, to me it would be worth cutting one arrow to try to get better results. If it doesn’t work your not really out anything if you cant shoot them anyways.
            Noise could be a number of things. I bet it has a skinny string too!?!?
            A good quality string of 16-18 strands will help with the noise and may help a little with the weak arrows. Just how for you go down the rabbit hole is up to you! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
              I bet it has a skinny string too!?!?
              A good quality string of 16-18 strands will help with the noise and may help a little with the weak arrows.
              Gulp.

No comment, other than - I shoot skinny strings, and my bows with them are about as quiet as you can get a bow.

The helping with the weak arrow comment is spot on however. The heavier 16-18 strand string will very likely be slower enough to help stiffen the dynamic spine of the arrow some.

Comment

I'll have to look at the receipt but I think the last place I bought field points was 3rivers and I got a dozen in 150g. I have the opposite problem you have in that my broad heads are 145g. I too shoot full length .600s.

Comment

5/16" points
                  7.4 gpi
                  11.4 grains Insert
                  Gold Tip nock 12.2 grains
                  .282 Outside diameter
                  .246 Inside diameter

Comment

Yea but Rick, youve got more tricks up your sleave than a magician when it comes to tuning!!
                    Drt, I wonder what the tiller is on that TC?
                    Do you shoot split or 3U?
                    What your total gpp?

Comment

Cut to center. Widow is 3/36ths past. I understand that is the issue but I hate to give up on the bow. Not a skinny string on it but I'm going to order a new string to help. I will also do limb savers at some point although I hate to ugly up a pretty bow.

Comment

Split glove. I guess it depends how short I cut these and what head I end up with. I'd like to be 8.5 or a little better.

Comment

Shaft at 29 and still getting slight left nock but hitting the spot I'm looking at. Had to adjust down a little as well. BH at 7.75"

Comment

29-3/8" is a perfect match up for 150gr points on that arrow shaft.

Don't go cutting them all down to there though, because differences in form can change that dramatically.

Just start cutting a couple of them down 1/4" at a time, until you get to a length that is working correctly. Once you're sure you have it, then cut them all to that length.

Rick

Comment

I don't think it will help your current issue, but I always recommend these when people bareshaft tuning and have spine issues. It comes with 100 grain, 125 grain, 150 grain, 175 grain, 200 grain, and 315 grain screw-in steel field points (1 each).

They have a 5/16 version but it's back to your issue only finding 145's. I also use these a lot (recommended by Rick above):

Comment

Maybe I'm just not good enough form wise to bareshaft it. I'm showing nock left with 100 grain heads at 29 inches even.

Comment

Working...
                                X