Which one tastes better? Axis, Fallow, Aoudad or Blackbuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
    Aoudad, axis, fallow, then blackbuck. Yes I said it, Aoudad before the rest, and ahead of axis even though I love axis. It's all in knowing how to take care of your meat from the time you kill it to the time it reaches your plate.
    You are right, its all in how its cooked. I love aoudad and have eaten a ton of it. But axis is in another category in my opinion. Axis is basically ready raw, lol. Aoudad you gotta give it some love.

Comment

Axis for me no matter how any of it is cooked lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Shane, did you eat that big horn? If so, how did it compare to the aoudad?
        I was afraid it would taste like aoudad. It absolutely DIDN'T though. It tasted very similar to axis, only not quite as tender as axis. It was awesome. I wish I could shoot one every year, just for the meat.

Comment

Depending on field care and cooking aoudad is a little better or worst than dog $&&#. I've had bb and axis. Both great. Edge to axis for me

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            I process all my own meat and I have a very wide palate when it comes to eatin' critters... Further I KNOW HOW and DO take care of my kills from shot to table... When it comes to Aoudad, I'll never shoot another one... One was enough for me. I killed a nice ram many years ago in the Palo Duro Canyon. I skinned it out for mounting and treated it just like deer as far as packing in coolers and careing for it... aged it just like I did white tailed deer. As a matter of fact, I killed a mule deer and an a white tail on the same trip... To make a long story short, first time my wife and I tried the aoudad, she ultimately had to throw her skillet away! She was going to pan fry/sear it and make gravy... When it started to sizzle in the skillet (cast iron), it began to give off an odor that made her kitchen smell like a football locker room... I took the skillet out the back door and chunked the meat out... From that point on, no matter what she did to that skillet, when it got hot, you could still smell that dang aoudad... never did get the smell out! NO THANK YOU!

Rest of all that stuff is pretty dang good... Not had BB yet, but since CastAndBlast kilt one last weekend, hope to give that a try soon!
            I have not had aoudad so I won't argue with folks about it specifically. But I do have a hard time forming an opinion based on others talk about other animals that are universally terrible, that turn out to taste just fine to me; at least the ones I have shot.

Based on that last point, I do have one question for you. Was your Aoudad a big ol' 'daddy that might have been rutted up, worn down, etc? Some of the bigger 'dads that I see on here are probably pretty old... and just like venison and pork, I tend to favor younger sized critters for eating.

I have no doubt that there are critters that just aren't good table fare. And I also know that there are some critters that taste terrible depending on their diet or their health, etc when they were taken. I also know that I won't ever eat those green/orange/yellow veggie pastas EVER because I ate them once as a kid and threw up and I can't get that feeling out of my head whenever I see it... (point being I understand it only takes once for some folks and never again!)

Comment

Always wanted to try Axis. I shot a blackbuck and my wife & I actually prefer it to whitetail. It was delicious.

Comment

I have heard that Mountain Lion and bobcat tastes very good... so you just never know and can't make too many assumptions. I'd like to kill and Aoudad and find out for myself...

Comment

They all eat fine to me.
                  The venison species are pretty much interchangeable... blackbuck is great, auodad is fine too.
                  I guess there are a lot of variables and our human tendency to set iron clad rules from isolated experiences can fail us.
                  I just had a hind quarter steak from an auodad ram that was probably close to 10 years old and it ate fine. Salt, pepper, roasted... done.
                  I've had isolated cuts from nilgai, which everybody says is superb, that tasted like the tanned sack of a boar goat. Other cuts from the same shoulder that were better prepared (bled out, aged, bled out again upon thawing, and marinating) were outstanding.
                  I think getting the blood out of and off of meat cuts makes a big difference in how it tastes. If you thaw something and don't give it at least a couple of days to let the blood off I'm betting that affects the taste big time.

Comment

Why didn't Nilgai make the list? I like Nilgai better than Axis....mountain lion was better than all of them...

Comment

Axis.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        I have not had aoudad so I won't argue with folks about it specifically. But I do have a hard time forming an opinion based on others talk about other animals that are universally terrible, that turn out to taste just fine to me; at least the ones I have shot.

Based on that last point, I do have one question for you. Was your Aoudad a big ol' 'daddy that might have been rutted up, worn down, etc? Some of the bigger 'dads that I see on here are probably pretty old... and just like venison and pork, I tend to favor younger sized critters for eating.

I have no doubt that there are critters that just aren't good table fare. And I also know that there are some critters that taste terrible depending on their diet or their health, etc when they were taken. I also know that I won't ever eat those green/orange/yellow veggie pastas EVER because I ate them once as a kid and threw up and I can't get that feeling out of my head whenever I see it... (point being I understand it only takes once for some folks and never again!)
                        I've eaten several aoudad, young to old, rams, ewes, and lambs. I've had it cooked all kinds of ways. It varies from terrible to what I'd call "edible if you're REALLY hungry". But some people like it, and I don't doubt their sincerity. Some people like to eat grasshoppers and worms too, but it ain't for me.

My son killed this little yearling ewe a couple years ago and wanted to try eating it. He killed it early one cold morning, and we had the meat on ice in less than an hour. The next day I sauteed some backstrap using a recipe that is incredibly good with every other critter I've cooked. The aoudad meat was never frozen and as fresh as it gets. If any aoudad is ever gonna be good, it's one like this. I ate 1 bite and put the rest in the trash. Zach ate one helping, but then trashed the rest. It wasn't as bad as an old ram, but it was bad. There are some people out there that would have probably loved it. Most people don't like aoudad though. It's just rank.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

Yea, he was a burly old ram. My buddy shot a fairly young one, and he said his tasted awful too... When I shot mine, I dropped him dead with a broken neck. My guide/outfitter wanted to just cape him out where he lay... He was down in a big canyon and it took us some major effort to get him out. I told him no way I was going to shoot something like that and not take the meat... goes against my grain so to speak... On hindsight, I should have listened to him. THAT's EXACTLY why I'll not shoot another one... still goes against my grain to shoot a game animal just for the hide/horns... I don't even shoot big ol' stinky boar hogs that I know I won't be able to eat because of that "weakness" that I have...

Comment

Axis by far.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                              Comparing bb to a goat leads me to believe a fellow hasn’t actually eaten a bb. Of those listed bb gets my vote although I would never turn down fallow nor axis. Aoudad should not even be in the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              I have and there isn't any desire to ever eat BB again. I prefer elk, red deer, axis and sika.

Comment

Compared to Axis and Fallow, a Blackbuck taste like a new pair of shoes. An Aoudad taste like the old shoes you threw away when you bought the new ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X