First deer hunt success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First deer hunt success!

This past weekend, The Cajun and I took a family hunting for our non-profit 2017 deer hunt. We created Deployed Family Outdoors with the goal of taking the families of our Military on hunting and fishing trips. The Madison's had never been hunting before (outside of one rabbit in SERE school), and were very surprised when The Cajun called them up to tell them that they were selected for the trip. Even better, both Active Duty parents who have an over 30 combined years in the Army were able to make the trip.

They arrived to the ranch on Friday afternoon and we immediately jumped into some educational fun by heading to the range for a lesson on gun safety and shooting rifles. We started with the .17HMR and worked up to the .243, one of the calibers we would be hunting with. Shamar and Malakai, the two sons, got comfortable shooting the .243 and Paige, the daughter, enjoyed shooting the smaller, rim fire rifle. After a quick lunch we headed to the stand for an afternoon hunt. That evening, Shamar shot his first deer while sitting with The Cajun, and his mother and sister, a whitetail doe. On the other end of the ranch, Malakai, myself and his father watched a group of aoudad on the cliff behind us. It's always exciting for folks to see their first exotic animal.

The next morning, we switched up where we were hunting and Malakai shot his first deer, a whitetail spike, with his mom and sister watching. The entire time I coached him through the shot he had the biggest ear to ear smile on his face- one of the funniest things I've seen and something I won't forget.

After a big breakfast, we headed to the river for a little fishing.

That evening, Shamar was able to take a second whitetail doe, this time with his father sitting in the blind with him. Everybody earned a little extra sleep that night and we slept in and skipped the morning hunt.

It was a true blessing for The Cajun and I to be able to put this on, and we are already working on a saltwater fishing trip for this summer, or perhaps an Axis hunt in Sonora. The Cajun and myself, but especially Cajun (thanks T), put a lot of time, blood, sweat and tears into DFO in order to make a memorable trip for whoever we may take on an adventure trip. None of it is possible without the donations we receive- thank you for supporting us.

Check out our webstite if you'd like to learn more about the organization.
    https://www.deployedfamilyoutdoors.com/

Facebook Link for more pictures:
    https://www.facebook.com/deployedfamilyoutdoors/
    Last edited by Patton; 01-09-2018, 03:35 PM.

Awesome

Comment

Well done Patton. PM incoming.

Comment

Awesome what yall are doing best read on here latley

Comment

Well that’s pretty much the best thing I’ve seen in a long time. Good on the both of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith2001 View Post
            Awesome what yall are doing best read on here latley
            You can say that again. Great job and keep up the hard work boys!

Comment

Thats some good bull right there !!!!!!!!

Comment

Comment

Awesome deal you are doing. keep up the good work

Comment

You just made my day Patton! Those kids will never forget that trip and hopefully we have some future hunters on our hands. Excellent work brother!

Comment

Great story and congrats to your organization for providing this service. Hopefully this family will continue to enjoy the outdoors and the greatest pastime I know of, hunting.

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The smiles say it all. Great job getting them into the world of hunting, especially when success tops it all off. My hat is off to you all for putting this together and being willing to share the great outdoors with others who serve our country. This is good stuff.

Comment

That is awesome! If you guys ever need any help guiding, cooking, cleaning, anything really I would love to help out any way I can!

Comment

Fantastic all the way around. Hats off to both of you guys for doing this!

Making a real difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X