Balance of FOC, arrow weight, speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balance of FOC, arrow weight, speed

With the season coming to a close and me running low on arrows it’s time to rig up some heavier arrows. So what balance of these works for you? I’m going to be shooting for the 475-500 grain range with between 13-16 FOC and still trying to maintain 280fps or faster. I’m just looking for a good balance of penetration speed and try to quiet the bow down some.

Current setup is a bowtech cpxl 28 inch draw length 70 pounds shooting a 428 grain arrow with really low FOC and ramcat heads. It blows through most deer and smaller hogs but anything over 200 pounds on pigs it won’t get through them and the bow could be quieter. I’m open to suggestions and recommendations.

Get with muddyfuzzy. He built me some very nice black eagle carnivores. 470 grains of awesome.

Comment

In for this

Comment

Muddyfuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
          Get with muddyfuzzy. He built me some very nice black eagle carnivores. 470 grains of awesome.
          This x2. I've been really impressed by the arrows he built me. They are heavy SOBs and my bow is much more quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
            With the season coming to a close and me running low on arrows it’s time to rig up some heavier arrows. So what balance of these works for you? I’m going to be shooting for the 475-500 grain range with between 13-16 FOC and still trying to maintain 280fps or faster. I’m just looking for a good balance of penetration speed and try to quiet the bow down some.

Current setup is a bowtech cpxl 28 inch draw length 70 pounds shooting a 428 grain arrow with really low FOC and ramcat heads. It blows through most deer and smaller hogs but anything over 200 pounds on pigs it won’t get through them and the bow could be quieter. I’m open to suggestions and recommendations.
            Do you want to build them yourself or have someone else build them?

If someone else, call Muddyfuzzy.

If you want to build them, just do the math on what you want. Get a shaft that has light GPI, a heavy broadhead and build the arrow. I use Gold Tip Velocity shafts but the Black Eagle Carnivore has a very similar GPI.

For me, I like 500 grain and as close to 20% as I can get, I don't care about speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
              Do you want to build them yourself or have someone else build them?

If someone else, call Muddyfuzzy.

If you want to build them, just do the math on what you want. Get a shaft that has light GPI, a heavy broadhead and build the arrow. I use Gold Tip Velocity shafts but the Black Eagle Carnivore has a very similar GPI.

For me, I like 500 grain and as close to 20% as I can get, I don't care about speed.
              I was going to build them myself. What I have worked up now is the gold tip hunter Xt .300 shafts with the 50 grain aluminum insert and the FACT weight system so I can play with FOC if needed and I could shoot 100-125 grain heads by removing or adding weights. I was mainly wondering what works for everyone and the pros and cons to more weight, higher FOC and what seems to work well for everybody

Comment

I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I'd like to shoot a heavier arrow, with more FOC. And I'll build them myself.

Comment

I think Rat is on point but I’d like to hear the differences on performance between say 15% FOC vs 20% FOC or 470 grains vs 525. We all know speed will come down the heavier the arrow gets and each bow will perform differently but what differences have guys seen by increasing the FOC vs just the total arrow weight. Or I’m I just being too picky looking for that sweet spot that will vary between different setups

Comment

With a 70 lb bow I’d shoot for 6-8 gpp on total arrow weight with FOC as high as you can get it. That’d give you an arrow that’d hit hard and still have an acceptable trajectory for minor distance estimation errors.

Comment

One idea I am batting around is taking the weights out of my black eagles. I’m going to run a 42 grain brass insert and go to a 150 grain head. It will slightly increase my effective FOC and give me more options on big two blade COC heads, which are what I want for penetration purposes.

Comment

Here’s my setup:

Easton Axis .340 w/75gr insert and broadhead adapter.
                        125gr Slick Trick Magnums.
                        Fletch Flex FFP-360’s and Nockturnals.

Total arrow weight is 505gr and FOC is 17%. I haven’t checked speed of this setup in a while, so I don’t remember what it is. I’m sure it’s slow.

Out of a 60lb bow, I have yet to not get a pass through. However, I have been fortunate thus far to not hit heavy bone with this setup.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                          One idea I am batting around is taking the weights out of my black eagles. I’m going to run a 42 grain brass insert and go to a 150 grain head. It will slightly increase my effective FOC and give me more options on big two blade COC heads, which are what I want for penetration purposes.
                          That’s why I like the idea of the Goldtip FACT weight system. You can add or take weight off the front of the arrow to run different heads of different weights and have the same POI or just play with the FOC and see what works best.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
                            That’s why I like the idea of the Goldtip FACT weight system. You can add or take weight off the front of the arrow to run different heads of different weights and have the same POI or just play with the FOC and see what works best.
                            Black eagle has the same thing. I just don’t like the idea of screwed in weights inside my arrow. Anything that can come loose likely will. Putting the 50 grains on the BH and not the insert means less parts that can move. It may not be important when I’m hunting deer from a deer camp, but if I go hunt Colorado away from all of my tools I want something a bit more fool proof that won’t cause major issues

Comment

Take a look at the victory arrows.
                              I shoot the victory rip elite 300 spine shafts (8.8 gpi) with the 60 grain stainless outsert, 100grain head, with 4 fletch blazers. 16.9% FOC, 424gr total weight. They have been great arrows. I get 268 FPS out of a 62 lb bow @ 28” DL.

Comment

Working...
                              X