Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria Co, public land
Default Coyote facts

I work with a old timer who swears coyotes don't kill fawns, " they eat rabbits and other stuff unless they are really really hungry " .
I know he is completely wrong, and know the damage of coyotes.

Please find me a study of some facts or something done in texas so I can prove him wrong please... Geez... .
MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

Here you go. Let him read this!

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.co...ls.php?id=6008
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

I have personally watched coyotes take fawns down.

Tell him to Google it. Many trail cam pics of coyotes taking fawns/deer down.

Here is a pic I have. Not clear evidence but explains why we went from 8 fawns to 5. Also had bobcats chasing yearlings less than a month ago.
Attached Images

Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #4
Hamshire
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jefferson Co, Falls Co

Absolute BS. I’ve personally seen them hunting/pushing single deer and heards. Nobody needs any data/reports to verify this.
Hamshire is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

He would happen to be leasing a place where no coyotes are allowed to be shot would he?
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
Charles
Pope & Young

Good luck convincing an old timer he's wrong.
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

These have been going around the net. Not a fawn, but shows how yotes could step up their game when fawns and other vulnerable critters are not available.

output by Tony Pic, on Flickr

output(1) by Tony Pic, on Flickr
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
M.E.B.
Ten Point

I can remember for years for some reason the TPWD kept saying that coyotes did not kill deer.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #9
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Its very annoying... I have argued for months about this....
Old 12-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I guarantee you a coyote would rather eat a fawn than a rabbit. They have to chase rabbits. A fawn just laying there is way more food and way easier to catch. Coyotes are lazy they'd rather eat road kill than hunt.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #11
fish4food
Six Point

A couple years ago sitting in the brush down south we were rattling. It was mid January but deer were still running does. Guess coyotes know sometimes bucks get hurt and worn out, we didn't rattle any bucks at that particular spot but 3 coyotes did come sneaking in.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Coyotes are vegans. So none of the above.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4food View Post
A couple years ago sitting in the brush down south we were rattling. It was mid January but deer were still running does. Guess coyotes know sometimes bucks get hurt and worn out, we didn't rattle any bucks at that particular spot but 3 coyotes did come sneaking in.
I too have rattled in a coyote and saw a coyote come into a real buck fight.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #14
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.E.B. View Post
I can remember for years for some reason the TPWD kept saying that coyotes did not kill deer.
And these same state "biologists" also say that the Red Wolf is extinct.. LOL

And OP coyotes do kill fawns..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 12-23-2017 at 09:51 AM.
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #15
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I saw yote stalking a doe and her two yearlings a while back as they fed on the edge of corn field which I plant as a food plot. He had the perfect wind and lots of cover as the edge of the corn field is lined with thick brush and spots of tall grass.

It was his last stalk ever!

Another time, I noticed several deer in an alert / alarmed stance all staring at the same brush line. There was a yote just at the edge of the brush. Didn't get the rifle up fast enough on that one or he would have also been dead.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #16
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

If he'd have said they won't eat calves that would be more believable. At least for me. I know guys that have ran cattle their whole life and they'll all tell you coyotes take the rap for what feral dogs do most of the time. I coyote might stand there and watch a calf hit the ground but more than likely it's there for the after birth. A momma cow would stomp a coyote flat if it messed with her baby.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #17
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
If he'd have said they won't eat calves that would be more believable. At least for me. I know guys that have ran cattle their whole life and they'll all tell you coyotes take the rap for what feral dogs do most of the time. I coyote might stand there and watch a calf hit the ground but more than likely it's there for the after birth. A momma cow would stomp a coyote flat if it messed with her baby.
Around here Buzzards kill as many or more calves than any predator does.. They sit waiting for it to hit the ground..
Old 12-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #18
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

For generations people learned what they about wildlife from what they could personally observe, the last few generations have been mostly removed from this and have been conditioned to rely on what is taught to us by "experts". Unfortunately, many times the "expert" is a 3rd grade teacher with an agenda. An old man set in his ways isn't likely to change his mind, do yourself and the rest of the world a favor, go find and teach what you know to a bunch of 3rd graders.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #19
Brown E
Four Point

A study was just done in Wisconsin on fawn survival during the first 5 months. Roughly 1/3 of them died and the #1 reason was coyotes.
Brown E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #20
MorenoXL
Four Point

I too have had yotes come in to Rattling and Grunt calls. Both times this season I was not able to get the bow drawn back in time to put them down. But they are about to get all of my attention in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MorenoXL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #21
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Around here Buzzards kill as many or more calves than any predator does.. They sit waiting for it to hit the ground..
My cousin was a beef cattle then went dairy. we were talking once and he commented that our original buzzards (turkey buzzards) wouldn't bother his calves, but he Mexican buzzards would go after them as they were calving. Finally realized he was talking about Black buzzards. Seems they are more aggressive. I'm having visions like the western movies where the guy in the desert sees buzzards circling, only they are landing and starting on you before you are dead.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #22
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by double bogey View Post
My cousin was a beef cattle then went dairy. we were talking once and he commented that our original buzzards (turkey buzzards) wouldn't bother his calves, but he Mexican buzzards would go after them as they were calving. Finally realized he was talking about Black buzzards. Seems they are more aggressive. I'm having visions like the western movies where the guy in the desert sees buzzards circling, only they are landing and starting on you before you are dead.
Yes and they go for the eyeballs first.. Its horrible.. They eat those calves alive..
Old 12-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #23
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Even more likely the coyote is there for the baby calf crap. They love it.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #24
Boomerang
Pope & Young

Coyotes and bobcats will kill out tons of deer. Axis deer are not native, ask anyone who has exotics and what their kill ratio is on fawns and grown deer!!! Some have had entire herds wiped out.

Your deer will also avoid an area with a lot of predators. Remove the predators and the deer move back in and actually survive to reproduce.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #25
Blackmouth
Six Point

Here is one for Texas like you asked

https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/ttu-ir/bitstr...=2&isAllowed=y

"Diets of coyotes on the Rolling Plains Quail Research Ranch, Texas" is the name of the first recent publication I came across without searching very hard.

Just under 7% in the winter, and less than 1% in summer, mainly fawns in the summer obviously. My thoughts on this is to manage your land for the best quality habitat with the most diverse species of native plants out there. Coyotes and deer have lived together for hundreds of years and done fine until we started "managing" land with poor grazing decisions and hunting practices. Diverse vegetation gives you diverse wildlife and the coyote is going to go for whatever is available in front of it and if you can put more food on the menu, the chances are good that a fawn isn't going to be the only thing eaten and will be eaten less often.

I agree they eat them and have seen the pics but how many of those pics had fawns and no coyotes? I feel it is very similar to staying healthy, everyone wants the quick diet pill but the age old remedy is proper diet and exercise. Same thing with wildlife and livestock management, keep your numbers in check to allow for good healthy plants and for the most part you should be fine.
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #26
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Why wouldn't they eat a fawn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #27
cowman
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Yes and they go for the eyeballs first.. Its horrible.. They eat those calves alive..
Yep. Worries me when I see 10 of them black headed buzzards surrounding a new calf and momma cow out in the pasture.
cowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #28
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

here are 5,000 words

show him this picture too

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 12-23-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #29
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Boom

Sent from my iPhone using Dilly Dilly!
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #30
MasonCo.
Ten Point

I 100 % agree, but man, theres some things you just cant get into ppls head... I showed him pics. " well, the coyotes in my area don't " AHAHHAHAH
Old 12-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #31
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default They used to do that at our ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by double bogey View Post
I managed to “train them” to stop. I found the “training” had lifelong results on the participants and they never did that again. Lucky me!
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #32
hunting270
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico and Wyoming

Yep it’s that really really hungry part he forgets.
hunting270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #33
Wits_End
Eight Point

A good question I have is how effective is coyote management?
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #34
Puddle Duck
Six Point

Hunt In: where the truck will take me

Myself and some buddies had the opportunity to help a land owner and a trapper with a coyote problem two weeks ago. The land owner noticed that most of his does had one fawn or no fawns. Being the third good rain year for South Texas, there should have been a few twin fawns at least. He suspected coyotes had taken them down. We set about 40 leg hold traps over a 4 day period and caught 31 coyotes. Talking with the trapper, he said an average pack of coyotes runs about 6 to 8 animals and that the pack will take down about eight deer/fawns a year. We saved a rough potential of 32 future deer. This does not include the dozen or so coyotes the landowner has shot over the last three months. Coyotes were definitely killing fawns off.
Puddle Duck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #35
easeup
Ten Point

about 4 yrs ago I was hunting in Eastland Co and shot a small spike @ 7.30am. I saw the arrow hit a tad high and even though I knew he was hurt bad I let him lay for about 20 min before I got off the stand. when I walked right to him he lay a about 75 yds from where I hit him, and the dang coyote had already eaten his hams!
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #36
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wits_End View Post
A good question I have is how effective is coyote management?
How effective is any kind of management? It depends on multiple factors, going out and taking out a bunch of coyotes will only help a limited area for a limited time. Taking as many coyotes as possible on the property you control will help a little longer. Taking those same coyotes, then maintaining perimeter control measures for as long as there are coyotes to migrate into the void you've created, then you'll have fairly good control.
Coyotes are part of the environment just like the deer, buzzards, skunks, and rattlesnakes, they have their place but allowing them to go uncontrolled would result in disaster type cycles, building up their numbers until disease and starvation lowered the numbers, the prey species would fall into that same cycle.
So mostly just depends on how much depredation a person is willing to live with.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #37
Wits_End
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4k View Post
How effective is any kind of management? It depends on multiple factors, going out and taking out a bunch of coyotes will only help a limited area for a limited time. Taking as many coyotes as possible on the property you control will help a little longer. Taking those same coyotes, then maintaining perimeter control measures for as long as there are coyotes to migrate into the void you've created, then you'll have fairly good control.
Coyotes are part of the environment just like the deer, buzzards, skunks, and rattlesnakes, they have their place but allowing them to go uncontrolled would result in disaster type cycles, building up their numbers until disease and starvation lowered the numbers, the prey species would fall into that same cycle.
So mostly just depends on how much depredation a person is willing to live with.
Makes sense, thanks for the response.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top