308 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

308 Question

I have a 6.5 creedmoor and a 7mm08. I have thought about getting a 308 but get the sense that the creedmoor and 7mm08 basically have similar ballistics as the 308. The main reason I was thinking about getting the 308 was due to the availability and cost of ammo. I am hoping to start shooting more just for fun and the price of ammo for the 308 was a strong consideration. I am looking for a caliber with readily available factory ammo. I also am hoping to go on an elk hunt in the next few years and thought it may be better for elk hunting.

In case you were wondering, I have the following calibers
    223/556 (in an AR platform - S&W M&P II)
    6.5 Creedmoor
    7mm08

Thoughts? Comments? Should I save my money and just keep shooting what I have? Is there another caliber I should consider? I've flirted with the idea of getting a 300 Win Mag on the off chance I may go on an elk hunt in the future, but I have trouble justifying a gun purchase for a hunt I don't even have planned and may or may not happen.

Also, I don't reload and don't have any plans to start reloading in the future.
    Last edited by TB80; 12-18-2017, 04:33 PM.

I would stay with what you have in that size, and jump up for an elk gun to 7mm or 300 WSM.

Comment

Love my .308

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
        I would stay with what you have in that size, and jump up for an elk gun to 7mm or 300 WSM.
        This, plus add a reloading press and your ammo costs will plummet.

Comment

Comment

Personally I'm not int the "must have a 300WinMag" crowd for Elk hunting. My 308 does just fine. Personally I don't want a 300WM because I don't want the abuse or to develop anymore of a flinch than I already have.

I agree with the 7mm mag. It'll do 99.9% of what a 300WM does. I'm sure others will disagree, that's why I stick with my 308

Comment

My thoughts on using a 243,308,7.08, or 270 on elk, while those will kill them, there won't be an exit wound or blood trail to follow. An elk has a pretty wide body, and it takes a lot of mass and KE to get all the way thru. Doing a grid search on the side of a mountain in timber and blowdowns because there is no blood trail is NOT what you want to do. Trust me. I hit right where I aimed with my 270 150 gr, at 150 yards, found the cow 2 days later 350 yards further down the mountain. All meat ruined......
              Last edited by BrianL; 12-18-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Honestly a 6.5 creedmoor and 7-08 will kill anything in North America besides really maybe a big Bear or something that might hurt you. Just load a 140-160gr partition. You may not have the range the others do but within 200-300 yards easy. Use the extra cash on ammo or reloading press.

Comment

Keep the 223 for your varmint gun,, keep either the 7-08 or 6.5 (or replace with a .308, which I love more than any caliber) to cover your short action medium gun, sell the .270 and get a 300. Then you have a gun for whatever you may hunt.

Comment

Most of my life .30-06,.270. Helped sight in a .308 at the range and I had to have ,it is my favorite.

Comment

I personally would sell the 6.5, keep the 7-08 and use the funds to buy a reloading setup or lots of bullets. Elk are not Cape buffalo. 160gr Nosler Partitions or Accubonds will kill the crap of any elk that has ever been born.

Take elk hunting advice from Texas hunters with a grain of salt. If you actually go to Colorado and talk to the people that elk hunt like we deer hunt you will quickly see that they don’t shoot magnums. There are way more 243’s, ‘06s, 308’s and 270s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                        I personally would sell the 6.5, keep the 7-08 and use the funds to buy a reloading setup or lots of bullets. Elk are not Cape buffalo. 160gr Nosler Partitions or Accubonds will kill the crap of any elk that has ever been born.

Take elk hunting advice from Texas hunters with a grain of salt. If you actually go to Colorado and talk to the people that elk hunt like we deer hunt you will quickly see that they don’t shoot magnums. There are way more 243’s, ‘06s, 308’s and 270s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I thought I had to have a 300RUM to shoot deer at 75 yards?

Although I’d feel undergunned going after an elk with a .243. I’m sure it will kill one, but it’s going to be comparable to shooting a decent sized buck with a .223.
                        Last edited by TacticalCowboy; 12-18-2017, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Read this: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/elk/46440-308-elk.html

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                            Although I’d feel undergunned going after an elk with a .243. I’m sure it will kill one, but it’s going to be comparable to shooting a decent sized buck with a .223.

Both of these examples come down to shot placement. If you can wait for a perfect broadside shot and place it well the smaller rounds work fine. If you are on a trophy hunt and want to be able to take a hard quartering shot or put one trough the shoulder the the bigger rounds are needed

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              Both of these examples come down to shot placement. If you can wait for a perfect broadside shot and place it well the smaller rounds work fine. If you are on a trophy hunt and want to be able to take a hard quartering shot or put one trough the shoulder the the bigger rounds are needed
                              I’ve done the smaller caliber for deer thing. Still doesn’t work as well as a decent sized gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X