Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optical Migraines..... who else gets them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optical Migraines..... who else gets them?

Wow!!!!! Wish I was a graphic designer as this one is intense. Entirely different than the ones I usually have. Been having alot lately, like daily. Has taken me 10 minutes just to write this as they make it very hard to see. I've had to pass on more than 1 deer because of this.

I feel your pain. I hate that feeling when you first notice one coming on especially when I am driving. It usually last about 20 minutes. As I get older they are less frequent. I have to stay away from foods such as chocolate, chinese food, and subway. I have had a few when in Elk camp at high altitude and they have been some doozys.

Comment

I get them. They are no fun. Usually go a few months between them.

Comment

Are yours usually the same patterns, start and develop and subside in reverse order? Same location in your visual fields? Mine 99% of the time are on the left side. Start at bottom and circle around clockwise. Ends meet then circle like a kaliedescope, then begin to subside in reverse order.
        This one though was in the upper right field and started like a square then an octogon then just waving in a circular motion til ends net then subside in reverse. Done now, but still have some difficulty seeing right.
        You mentioned driving. That is when I had my first one about 20 years ago. Rt 6 from Clifton to Waco. Never so glad for a straight road. Had to stop. Had no clue what was happening. Now when driving I stop and wait.
        Lasts about 20 minutes but at times as long as an hour.
        Any clue what causes them? I have not figured any particular triggers withe the exception of years ago a medication was the cause. The very med and dose that worked for the early menopause symptons , flashing, the best. Go figure. Daily then.
        Do you get any headache ever?

Comment

I feel your pain! Mine start with blurred vision and then the worst **** headache there is. I just wish I could shorten the time of blurred vision that's the part that kills me. Started getting them when I was about 11 and my kiddo seems to be following the same path. Mine seem food related and I have learned that if I eat decently throughout the day this helps tremendously. The best thing I have found is the breakfast drinks ..even when I was a kid they helped a bunch. I am trying to get the kiddo to listen but she is not very receptive.

Comment

Myway, sounds like what you experience is the "aura" before the migraine headache.
            I seldom get the migraine headache. After this one, just a dull sensation to the right frontal lobe.
            I have an old school friend whose vision has been damaged due to optical migraines. So far mine isn't except for a bit of time after one.

Comment

Got them my freshman year of high school every single day. It's a different kind of hurt and suck.

Comment

I get 'em occasionally, but they're usually without pain. Just the "flashers" or kaleidescope image pulsating in different patterns, no real consistent pattern to 'em. Makes it hard to drive or read. The only sure cure I've developed is to find a dark, quiet place to lay down and take a short nap. About 20-30 minutes and they're much diminished or gone completely.

Stu
                Last edited by Cottonfish; 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I get them.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadeyeDeb View Post
                    Myway, sounds like what you experience is the "aura" before the migraine headache.
                    I seldom get the migraine headache. After this one, just a dull sensation to the right frontal lobe.
                    I have an old school friend whose vision has been damaged due to optical migraines. So far mine isn't except for a bit of time after one.
                    I have learned to manage mine and they are far less frequent "knock on wood" I just wish the kiddo would listen. At a early age I think its all the growing and burning a ton of calories that does it but that's just my guess. Now I believe it's just not giving the body what it needs. Weird that we started getting them at the exact same age.
                    Last edited by myway; 04-07-2014, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I always thought it was just an indicator that a migraine was coming. I don't get migraines often and even less frequently does it effect my vision. I can remember 2 instances where I had my vision effected severely and I was driving at the time. it started at the edges of my peripheral and slowly constricted my field of view resulting in extreme tunnel vision. This was many years ago and I have no idea what triggered them, but dern glad I haven't had anymore.

Comment

God bless y'all. Can't imagine living with that and no knowing when they're gonna occur. Prayers for supernatural healing!

Comment

Mine starts in the peripheral then moves it to the center with the kaliedescope.
                          The blurred vision usually lasts 10 to 20 minutes, then I feel bad for a few hours after.

Comment

I do and there is no chance I could be on the internet. I had one put me in the ER one night. Thought I was going to die.

I know about an hour before though because I'll start seeing flakes and loose a lot of vision. If I take my immetrex right then I won't get a migraine, bad headache but can function.

Comment

I know your pain also. I started getting them after a head injury on a sport bike. I get one every month or 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X