Need help with arrow flight pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with arrow flight pattern

Hey guys, I need some help. (maybe). When I'm shooting I can see my arrows "wobbling" in flight, especially at farther distances of course. However, I'm grouping well and I basically hit where I'm aiming but I'm wanting to know if something isn't set up right. If my Dad were still alive he would tell me if I'm getting the results I want, don't worry about the stuff in between. But I'm sort of a perfectionist, even if I'm "on target", I want the best it can be. Any advice, is this normal because of wind, kinetic energy, etc. Thanks.

anyone?

Comment

sounds like it is out of tune. take it to the shop and have it tuned. should be inexpensive.

Comment

Download the Easton Tuning Guide, start at the beginning and you'll be done with the fine tuning at the end. Broadheads or not, a tuned bow will shoot and group better. I uploaded to TBH to make it easy for folks to find.

Comment

Paper tuning is great, but make sure cams are in time. If not, adjusting all you want through paper may still not get the desired result. I just went through this due to some string stretch. 2 twists and I was back to small adjustments and bullet holes were being punched.

Comment

x2 for the easton tuning guide. It's all going to be a combination of arrow spine and weight, knock point and rest location. Small adjustments go a long way. Use the easton tuning guide to start you out.

Just a personal note, I get everything lined up by eye first, then bare shaft tune. Once done there, walkback tuning is the next step for me. After that, broadhead tuning and then off to the woods .

Comment

Sounds like improper spine or the cams are out of tune. Check the cams first, then go through the paper tuning in the Eastons' tuning guide.

Comment

Proper tuning and arrow flight is not just accuracy, it affects penetration as well. Plenty of good advice given above.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  Proper tuning and arrow flight is not just accuracy, it affects penetration as well. Plenty of good advice given above.

^^^^

That. I've lost a hogg due to an out of tune bow. A shot that should have blown through ended up getting terrible penetration resulting in an angry hog running of with my arrow leaving zero blood behind.

Comment

Many things effect arrow flight, both mechanical and human error, some are easy to remedy and some are not so easy.
                    To name a few.
                    Cams out of sync,
                    tiller out of sync,
                    cams leaning,
                    rest not centered,
                    rest not at correct height,
                    string nock not at correct height,
                    fletching hitting rest as it leaves the bow,
                    arrows not correctly spined to bow and archer,
                    FOC,
                    bow not tuned
                    and the human part
                    bad form,(including torqueing the bow)
                    draw length incorrect,(causes inconsistanty when shooting)
                    I am quite sure there are more things that could be added to this list, but i can not think of them, so having said this, I fix the easy stuff first, meaning that i dont run out and buy new arrows or take it anywhere's and get somebody to work on it untill all other things have failed.

fish tailing arrows can sometimes mean that you are getting fletching contact or the rest is not centered , which can be checked by putting spray on foot powder on the back part of the arrows and vanes and shot, look at the arrow for missing foot powder and look on the rest for foot powder,if you see evidence of contact, correct it by walkback tuning.

if the arrows are porposing then the rest height or the string nock can be adjusted by paper tuning.
                    these are easy and cheap ways to fix arrow flight.

Comment

Working...
                    X