Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
texaslammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas/ junction
Default Well a general contractor got me .

Me and my wife live in a little old home in liberty tx. We have been trying to get alot of stuff cleaned up and repaired in our home the last 6 months due to us trying to adopt a child . We have had several threads on here asking about adoption and are going thru depelchin in Houston, we are getting close to being put on the list for a open home for a kid .

So back to the house, we have a small simple kitchen that we were trying to update before our home study from the agency and had a guy come and give us a bid, we gave him a large portion of the money for the materials and for him to start, (first mistake on our part). He stripped our kitchen and everything was going good, then the excuses start rolling in and he's no showing, long story short it's been over a month and our kitchen is 50 percent done by him and I have my granite on site also. He will not return any calls and has fallen off the face of the earth. My wife cooked him dinner every evening he showed up in the beginning, sent him home with cake even . Nice as we could be . Now we are stuck with a tore up kitchen and cant find anyone to help us complete it and finish it. I may have to start watching you tube and learn how to do it myself. Does anyone have any leads or know someone that would be interested in helping us get this finished ? Backsplash , a little wall texture work, install some granite . That's the most of it. Thank you in advance for any leads .
texaslammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

That blows. It seems like its gettinf harder and harder to find trustworthy and dependable tradesmen.
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
eradicator
Pope & Young

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like he got his Christmas money
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
brownchristian
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freer

I met this guy last night. Donít know anything about them but he seemed like a good dude.

http://pblonestar.com
brownchristian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
texaslammer
Ten Point

Is he out of Houston i guess ?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

This the biggest gamble most of us will ever take unless we are fortunate enough to know a good, reliable contractor. Hard to believe, but one of our church members is a contractor and stiffed the church on a job!
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

PM sent
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Shoot Him! JK, but that sucks big time and there are a lot like that unfortunately. I hope you get things worked out and get you place finished!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
Kingfisher789
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Sounds like we got a hunt! Who is he?
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
mavrick
Ten Point

I am in Tarkington. I am pretty handy, I can come and help with anything you need. We are just finishing up our house from the flood, I am working to finish the back splash now.

Let me know what you need, I will try and help. I did watch them install our granite I hope you had it cut and fit to the cabinets.
mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #11
Young gun 12
Six Point

Hunt In: NTX

Rule of thumb with contractors is if they say they need money for materials than don’t use them. Every good contractor I have ever used has enough of their own money to cover initial materials, then you pay in increments along the way as certain milestones are completed. The ones who “needed money up front for materials” have almost always effed us over.
Young gun 12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #12
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Dirt bags everywhere.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslammer View Post
Me and my wife live in a little old home in liberty tx. We have been trying to get alot of stuff cleaned up and repaired in our home the last 6 months due to us trying to adopt a child . We have had several threads on here asking about adoption and are going thru depelchin in Houston, we are getting close to being put on the list for a open home for a kid .

So back to the house, we have a small simple kitchen that we were trying to update before our home study from the agency and had a guy come and give us a bid, we gave him a large portion of the money for the materials and for him to start, (first mistake on our part). He stripped our kitchen and everything was going good, then the excuses start rolling in and he's no showing, long story short it's been over a month and our kitchen is 50 percent done by him and I have my granite on site also. He will not return any calls and has fallen off the face of the earth. My wife cooked him dinner every evening he showed up in the beginning, sent him home with cake even . Nice as we could be . Now we are stuck with a tore up kitchen and cant find anyone to help us complete it and finish it. I may have to start watching you tube and learn how to do it myself. Does anyone have any leads or know someone that would be interested in helping us get this finished ? Backsplash , a little wall texture work, install some granite . That's the most of it. Thank you in advance for any leads .
Post up his name and let's see if anyone knows him
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #14
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Surely there has to be some sort of paperwork/contract you both signed that would enable you to pursue a legal route to get your money back.

Hope it all works out and sorry you have to have this stress added to the already stressing adoption process.
bowhuntntxn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #15
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard
Default Well a general contractor got me .

Need help on any electrical work? I can help there. I also know a lot of trustworthy people in the construction industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #16
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

Sorry to hear that, when my parents decided to start their house I strongly pushed a guy I know and trust on them for this very reason. I trust him and grew up with him so if I cant find him, one of our 400 mutual friends probably will be able to.
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #17
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Unfortunately there are A LOT of folks going out there that have no business calling themselves contractors. And most of these contractors realize this about halfway through a job.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 06:59 AM   #18
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

What is the name of this scammer so others may avoid him.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #19
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

OP where are you at around Houston? My brother may be able to help. He owns his own remodeling business.

PM me for more details.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #20
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

Post up that SOB's name and all information you have on him. And then let's all spread it all over the place. These SOB's get away with this too much.

The shoot him comment in my opinion is fitting and warranted.

There are just not enough repercussions to deter criminal.activity. Our law enforcement agencies work hard and do a great job but in the grand scheme of things they are out numbered 10 fold or more and we'll short on funding.
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #21
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

1099 his rear!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #22
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Chopping off hands and fingers for this sort of stuff seems to work pretty well in some third world countries.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 07:52 AM   #23
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton

Sorry to hear this. Its freaking frustrating for sure. Hopefully you can find someone to help finish it.

Got burned this year myself to the tune of 5 grand in plumbing work. Former friend, and licensed plumber, whose kids all go to school with mine. Whose kids have spent countless nights at my house. Whose kids I've helped when they locked keys in cars, got stuck in ditches, and fed them time and again at my house. And whose family is well known in town.

Yup, paid him up front for a ton of new plumbing work in my wife's new kennel. In April. He bought about 300 dollars in supplies, started the job, and has yet to return. Keep getting the Im tied up, its to cold, Ill have to get to it after this big job Im on.

Hired a new guy last week. He showed up yesterday, and did 90 percent of the work we paid for in 10 hours. Cost me a whopping 900 bucks to have it done. He's back already this morning cleaning up and finishing it for us.

The other guy, he called yesterday and said hell be here next week to work on it. I texted him, and said "sounds good". I want him to come to my house and see all the work he didn't do, and explain to me why he charged me what he did. He may storm off, but at it will cost him a day of work and a wasted trip. Least I can do....
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #24
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Post his name.
1) so another TBH'er doesnt get taken
2) Lots of people on this site... theres possibility of getting his whereabouts and more info on him. See it all the time.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #25
texaslammer
Ten Point

Sorry everyone for such a late response.

His name is Ezequiel PEREZ, supposedly his has some ties to 3 brothers remodeling . I think his sons run it if i understood right. He shops and buys all of his materials from Reborn granite in Houston tx. I have met him there and highly considered using off days to wait on him but who knows how that would play out and when I would see him . He was a very nice guy and we fell for that ,my wife made him dinner always and he asked for a extra 200 in the middle of the job and didn't want to give it but we did anyways. Overall he has close to 5k dollars of my money, I have a very small kitchen that is 50 percent done maybe ,,,, and 3 sheets of granite outside that are made for counter tops. I should have known in the beginning to never go with him but we really wanted it done before the home study stuff and paid the price now . Not only are we out the money for the kitchen but now if i don't figure something out I will have to delay our process that we have been working on and that's going to be the worse part on us, but I know we will get there .

We do have a signed detailed receipt with his address on it and name, not sure if it's even his address , highly doubt it but you never know, I just know that a lawyer would probably cost me a lot more then the screwing and tore up kitchen that needs to be finished. I mean trust me I have mentioned a lot of things that I would love to do and take it into my hands . But my wife stops me and she's right it's not worth it.

Thank you everyone for offering to help , my number is 713 898 6289. I still am wanting to find someone that can possibly help us get it finished or at least come look at it today. I live on 563 in liberty tx. I have called one person that someone posted here earlier in the thread and he said he would talk to me today when he had time today ,but still looking. Thank you again
Old 12-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #26
texaslammer
Ten Point

Avoid him he's a crook, this is some numbers on the receipt that he wrote out to me , or at least one of them is . He will not answer either.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #27
texaslammer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
OP where are you at around Houston? My brother may be able to help. He owns his own remodeling business.

PM me for more details.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Will send pm now
Old 12-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #28
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Contact the county attorney. They are free.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #29
Charles
Pope & Young

Sorry you're having to deal with this.

Your best option is to sue him through small claims court. No will not need a lawyer for this. More than likely he will not show up for the court date and you win. Now, a judge cannot make him pay you back but if he owns "real" property you can slap a lien on it. You will be paid when he goes to sell or refinance.

Good luck with the adoption process.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #30
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Should be legal to stab them in the face. Oops, did I say that out loud......
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #31
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

I am sorry for your troubles, but why haven't you been more aggressive in trying to get your money back? I would have camped out at his house and let the folks at Reborn Granite know he is a deadbeat and a crook. If someone cheated me out of $5,000 I certainly would not just chalk it up to my bad decision!

Go get your money!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #32
Burnadell
Pope & Young

That house on Maeline is owned by Elisa Romero and Bonifacio Romero.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #33
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County

Wish you were closer up this way. Iíd get ya taken care of. Between me, Dad, and Grandpa we been in the Remodeling/home building game well over 60+ years. We do all of the work with our own two hands. Definitely not going to get Rich this way but at least we keep food on the table and our customers always appreciate our work. Little advertising and work of mouth keep us going. For those of you saying not to give a contractor money up front, this isnít true. I always require half or at least enough enough to cover materials up front. Trust works both ways. That way if I have a crook for a customer Iím not out a ton of money. That has never happened because just like Iím careful about who I work for customers also need to be very wary of who they hire to do the work. Ask for references. And if you just choose someone based on the lowest bid youíre setting yourself up for failure. Not saying the OP did this but ya just gotta do your research. This happens way too much. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texas Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #34
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Just using my own experience , but i've found GC's and sub-C's that have names much like the one you posted, often take off most of December and January to return to their homeland...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #35
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Just using my own experience , but i've found GC's and sub-C's that have names much like the one you posted, often take off most of December and January to return to their homeland...

That has been true in the past. Not seeing much of that this year in fear of not getting back across the border.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #36
BitBackShot
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Am I way off base here...

You have the granite and your kitchen demo work has been done and half put back together? Sounds like you're a good ways into the $5k - shouldn't be a total loss? Granite isn't super expensive, but they don't give it away either. That's gotta be a good chunk of what you're out.

Terrible situation anyhow. We put in a pool this past summer and I was worried I was facing the same issue in getting the guy to finish it out. He just stopped answering the phone. Turned out his wife went nuclear on him and beat him with a wine bottle and he was going through a terrible divorce, so good news there. I mean, in that he ended up finishing the work.

Anyways, hire somebody to finish the job. You may not be out as much as you think you are.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #37
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Stalker View Post
Wish you were closer up this way. Iíd get ya taken care of. Between me, Dad, and Grandpa we been in the Remodeling/home building game well over 60+ years. We do all of the work with our own two hands. Definitely not going to get Rich this way but at least we keep food on the table and our customers always appreciate our work. Little advertising and work of mouth keep us going. For those of you saying not to give a contractor money up front, this isnít true. I always require half or at least enough enough to cover materials up front. Trust works both ways. That way if I have a crook for a customer Iím not out a ton of money. That has never happened because just like Iím careful about who I work for customers also need to be very wary of who they hire to do the work. Ask for references. And if you just choose someone based on the lowest bid youíre setting yourself up for failure. Not saying the OP did this but ya just gotta do your research. This happens way too much. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree. I don't ask for half up front but I do ask for something to make the contract valid and to eliminate getting screwed. So far, my customers have been happy as have I been minus 2 customers. You can't fix crazy. And if you go with the lowest bid and he wasn't recommended, you are for sure going to have a miserable experience.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #38
leon.cty.legend
Eight Point

Hunt In: Pecos/Terrell co.

Is the granite fabricated already ? How many sf ?
leon.cty.legend is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #39
crumrw
Six Point

Hunt In: Hunt county

Same thing happened to my mom. I told her to some how sweet talk him in to coming back...and I'll take care of it from there.
crumrw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #40
Gclyde12
Four Point

I’m sorry to hear this. I have no idea what my fathers schedule is like as i know he has been extremely busy from Harvey but he has been doing this for a living since he graduated college and owned Humble Paint and Decorating for most of my life. He may not be the cheapest you find but i promise you he will get it done right and shoot you strait. Give him a call, he is right up the road in Atascocita Shores. Two 8 1 five four 3 0154. His name is Steve
Gclyde12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #41
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

This thread (and the fact that I'm broke) is why I DIY anything and everything I can.

Between Youtube and Home Depot "classes" it's all good.
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #42
texaslammer
Ten Point

Thank you every one, yes I have the granite and it is pre fsbbed , is still Has to be cut to the right length. I have 3 pieces that are 8ft long and that should cover everything. I had a older gentleman come today and look and he was very disappointed with everything he saw . He pointed out alot of things that need to be redone to make it right. We haven't heard back from him he said give him a few days. I have decided if i can not get someone committed to helping us by this week end then I am going to start on it myself and maybe I'll just have to try and contract the sheet rock part and granite install and maybe the back splash . Thank you everyone for the advice and comments.

Also the older gentleman today said he wouldn't call it 50 percent done and said I definitely got screwed. Far as the granite goes when I met the guy to get it he only had 300 dollars from original money to help towards it. It was 700 total . But my wife did choose a more expensive one then we originally decided on. The granite if pre fab counter tip width already . I was very surprised that she got to choose 3 nice pieces at reborn granite in Houston for 700 bucks total . I would love to find the guy and take my money out of him but it just isn't worth it, this guy knows we're I live and my wife is home all the time by herself and we are wanting to adopt a kid so I do not want to put any of that in harm's way, God will take care of him and we are looking into the small claims court for putting a lien on something maybe that he owns, my wife found his address and info on the world wide web today. Thank you again everyone. We are still calling around and asking for some help and my dead line before I start on it myself is Friday night.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #43
TallTexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Any joints in the granite? What kind of sink top mount or under?
TallTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 12:57 AM   #44
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Good luck to you.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:25 AM   #45
texaslammer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTexan View Post
Any joints in the granite? What kind of sink top mount or under?
I think there will be one joint , we purchased a new sink that is over the top .. Thank you buddy
Old 12-13-2017, 04:51 AM   #46
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
Avoid him he's a crook, this is some numbers on the receipt that he wrote out to me , or at least one of them is . He will not answer either.
What in the world is a "private contractor" ? oops. Picture of his card did not import here. Unless he is a mercenary I am really confused. Man, I hope you can get something done about the poor work done and money taken. Prayers to you and your wife for this mess and the joy to come with adoption. Bless you both.
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 06:01 AM   #47
TallTexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
I think there will be one joint , we purchased a new sink that is over the top .. Thank you buddy

PM sent
TallTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 06:05 AM   #48
MisterSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Chambers, Bandera, Batson, Sonora

EC construction is based out of mont belvieu. He's done work for my sister in liberty, and he's fixing my home now. I can send information if requested.
MisterSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #49
texaslammer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTexan View Post
PM sent
Pm returned, thank you