Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Ricochet83
Four Point

Hunt In: Live Oak County
Default Thieves suck

Had my rifle in its case underneath my back seat on Friday with maybe 6 inches of the case exposed. Was taking the rifle with a new scope I bought to a gunsmith I use in League city to have scope mounted. I stopped to meet and employee for lunch at V Star off the gulf freeway and some pos smashed out my window on the back door and took the case and gun. Then proceeded to pull his truck out of the parking spot and back in 2 spots down next to my employees infinity suv and smashed out his back window and took his briefcase which happened to have his carry pistol in it. Called Hpd at 135 pm and they finally showed up at 410. In the meantime I talked to the owner of the restaurant and he allowed me to use his laptop and view his cameras in which I found the whole incident take place on 2 separate cameras. Marked time stamps for his IT guy to be able to burn it to disk for me for evidence. Really chaps my ***. So if anyone in that area of Houston happens to go to any pawn shops and sees a browning abolt 30-06 with a silver Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 please let me know. Weird thing is in my floorboard was my brand new Leopold Vx2 that he didnít take. I hate a thief!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ricochet83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
sbushee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county

Dang. That blows
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
Ricochet83
Four Point

I agree. Watching it happen on the video is really when my blood start to boil

Old 12-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
Lawhunter
Eight Point

Dang
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Lesson to be learned here for all of us---nothing is safe in your car/truck, day or night, driveway or restaurant parking lot.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
Ricochet83
Four Point

Very true. I definitely learned a lesson on this one should have went straight to the gunsmith without stopping.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Interesting that he "happened" to target the two guys having lunch with vehicles parked in non adjacent spots and didn't break into any other vehicles?

I hate POS thieves! They are worse than child rapists!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Thieves suck
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
Ricochet83
Four Point

The camera shows he was already in the parking lot when we arrived and our uniform is Oxford and tie so only thing I can figure is he targeted us due to how we were dressed and he assumed we had something good in there. Cop was thinking the same thing but we had both came from different places so to think he scouted and followed is a stretch.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
Ricochet83
Four Point

No other vehicles were broken in to. We were also parked in a little 5 parking spot section by the exit of the parking lot. Suburban was parked between us however they came out of the restaurant and got in their vehicle and left while he was in mine

Old 12-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

That sucks. I hate thieves too.

Our liberal based society does nothing to deter criminals especially street level criminals. If more were to be shot and killed on a daily basis just like the crimes occur we might actually begin to turn things around. Until then, its only going to continue to get worse.

Good luck. Sorry this happened.
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
Burnadell
Pope & Young

For what it's worth, whenever I have something of value in my truck and have to leave it in a parking lot, I go into the business and then immediately ease back to the front door to see if anyone has approached the truck.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #13
Ricochet83
Four Point

I couldnít agree more that the consequences are not near severe enough.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Yep, there is NOTHING worse than a thief!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #15
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

To bad you couldnt have caught their punk @$$&$ and shot them.
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
Charles
Pope & Young

Hope they bet caught.

Were you able to give the serial number to the police?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #17
skiguy327
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Yep, there is NOTHING worse than a thief!

I think a liar is slightly worse. Both are bad tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
skiguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #18
Ricochet83
Four Point

Yes sir had to call and add it to the report as I didnít have it with me at the time but it is in the report.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #19
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet83 View Post
Yes sir had to call and add it to the report as I didnít have it with me at the time but it is in the report.

Excellent.

You "might" get it back at some point in the future.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #20
skiguy327
Four Point

Iím assuming the footage from the restaurant didnít give you a license plate number? How about make and model of his vehicle? If the police gave a sh** they could probably find another camera nearby that caught his license plate. Itís a small event in an ocean of crime for the HPD but itís important to you so you may have to light a fire to bring that thieving PoS to justice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
skiguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #21
skooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Canadian & McIntosh Co OK

Yep - shoot them all. A couple of weeks ago, I had my window busted on my truck while at a boat ramp. They went through my console and didnít take anything that I have missed. I had my handgun with me.

skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #22
manwitaplan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

What kind of truck and what color was the vehicle?

What is V star?

Sent from my iPhone using Dilly Dilly!
manwitaplan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #23
Ricochet83
Four Point

Default Thieves suck

Suspects truck is a mid 2000 4 door Dodge Ram silver in color. Itís a Chinese buffet thatís at gulf freeway and munroe

Old 12-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #24
Ricochet83
Four Point

Cop actually told me that my TBH sticker in the back window could have made me a target ha ha ha ha

Old 12-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #25
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Dang! Good luck on the recovery. I hope your insurance might cover your loss.

****in thieves.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #26
Ricochet83
Four Point

Couldnt make out the license plate number unfortunately. I was actually surprised that a stolen gun on the streets much less 2 from the same guy wasnt a little bit more of a concern for them but they do have alot on their plate and are extremely understaffed so cant really fault them to much i suppose. I am however calling everyday to followup and see what the status is so if anything i will just annoy the crap out of them.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #27
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

sometimes being able to watch someone take your **** is worse than realizing someone stole your ****...

sucks man
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #28
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Couldnt make out the license plate number unfortunately. I was actually surprised that a stolen gun on the streets much less 2 from the same guy wasnt a little bit more of a concern for them but they do have alot on their plate and are extremely understaffed so cant really fault them to much i suppose. I am however calling everyday to followup and see what the status is so if anything i will just annoy the crap out of them.
Well, good frigging luck with the cops. They dont give a rats @$$ about stolen guns unless its one of theirs. Watch the news. They will never track down a stolen weapon. They may find it accidently in some other kind of bust. If a cops gun ,personal or service, is stolen they find it every time.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #29
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

99% of surveillance systems are useless to police. The 1% is Buccees. And they have to stop at a gas pump to get their plate. Sorry for your loss. Happens hundreds of times a day in Harris County. I would never park anywhere on the Gulf Freeway, 290, etc. with valuables in my vehicles. The odds are against you.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #30
Chew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Well, good frigging luck with the cops. They dont give a rats @$$ about stolen guns unless its one of theirs. Watch the news. They will never track down a stolen weapon. They may find it accidently in some other kind of bust. If a cops gun ,personal or service, is stolen they find it every time.
I found plenty of stolen guns when I worked patrol. But you have to have something to go on. Silver dodge truck with far away video is not really much to go on. Unless you're in Mayberry. Property crimes have the lowest clearance rate for a reason....and it's not because the police don't care. But if it makes you feel better.

Weren't you a fireman? Go talk to arson investigators and see how many non-insurance related arsons they solve without a witness, tip, or the suspect leaving good evidence at the scene. Get back with me!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #31
Ricochet83
Four Point

I agree. I am expecting to ever see it again unless good ol fashion dumb luck happens to be in my favor some where down the line.
I agree watching it was worse than the actual event taking place. Makes you feel so helpless and constantly questioning well what if I had come out while he was in there or so many different ways it could have played out.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #32
Walker
Ten Point

Chew, my point was the cops, at least in SA always find stolen officers guns. And I do mean always, and with the same intel on any other stolen property.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #33
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Well, good frigging luck with the cops. They dont give a rats @$$ about stolen guns unless its one of theirs. -[expressed opinion but UNTRUE] Watch the news. They will never track down a stolen weapon. -[UNTRUE] They may find it accidently in some other kind of bust. [TRUE] If a cops gun ,personal or service, is stolen they find it every time. [UNTRUE]
little snopes-like action to help out the actual relevancy of your post.
you're welcome. no charge.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #34
Walker
Ten Point

Not the snopes from San Antonio. Lived here forever and can not remember a cops gun not being recovered.my sons gun was stolen and we found some more info with possible video of attempted debit card use and the case.detective never answered our call and never responded to messages we left.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #35
Chew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Chew, my point was the cops, at least in SA always find stolen officers guns. And I do mean always, and with the same intel on any other stolen property.
Unless they have suspect information or evidence, that's impossible. It's not like a CSU tv show. I do know that people get nervous if they find out the gun is an officers and try to get rid of it and/or run their mouth. This leads to increased calls to crimestoppers or tip lines. But your general statement that cops don't give a rat's a$% is incorrect. When you get dispatched to a higher priority call than a burglary motor vehicle, you have to go. BMV's are low on the list compared to in progress calls. We have an entire unit that does nothing but work auto theft and BMV. They can't even get to all the cases that have suspect info, much less proactively search for property where there's no suspect info.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #36
Ricochet83
Four Point

I agree Chew. Bigger fish to fry. My only hope in this is the guy takes it to a pawn shop or gun shop and tryís to sell it and the serial number comes back as stolen but then I wonder does the pawn shop tell them they canít accept it and give it back to them or does the pawn shop sit on it and call the police. Do you know how that works Chew?

Old 12-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #37
JTCowpoke
Four Point

Quote:
Cop actually told me that my TBH sticker in the back window could have made me a target ha ha ha ha

Did your friends vehicle have any stickers in the window?

I don't put any stickers in my window because I have also heard that it will make you a target especially if it is hunting type stickers like guns, deer skull etc.
JTCowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #38
Ricochet83
Four Point

No sir his vehicle did not have any stickers on his

Old 12-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #39
Chew
Pope & Young

Quote:
I agree Chew. Bigger fish to fry. My only hope in this is the guy takes it to a pawn shop or gun shop and try’s to sell it and the serial number comes back as stolen but then I wonder does the pawn shop tell them they can’t accept it and give it back to them or does the pawn shop sit on it and call the police. Do you know how that works Chew?

I used to have Leads Online Software to search for stolen items by serial number. Most depts. have a pawn shop detail that checks by on a regular basis and asks the owners to show them the pawn tickets for guns, high dollar tools, etc. I'm not sure how hpd does it.

Pawn shops usually place a 10 day (I think) police hold on all merchandise. It sits in the back for 10 days or so to give police time to notify then of stolen merchandise. After that, it gets put out on the shelf. I would call HPD Pawn Shop Detail and ask them what you can do to ensure that your serial # gets checked after the wait period:

713 308-0999 Have your case number and serial number handy. Also, PM me the serial number and make/model and I'll try to get someone at my agency to set up an alert on it.

But unfortunately the majority of crooks know not to pawn guns due to the attention they receive. So they sell them to individuals, trade for drugs, keep them for themselves, etc.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #40
John Bowy
Four Point

Hunt In: Bell County

That sucks sorry to hear that
John Bowy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #41
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Bazstards