No announcement yet.

Selfbows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The soreness has only begun if you plan on draw knifing it down to floor tiller. Those knots add some great character just require a little more finesse working around. They, I know you have noticed, make the layout a tad more challenging too. Looks great so far. Lots of guys get all their tools in and just start going at it too fast. You seem to have the patience of a bowyer.

Comment

So here is a good question. If I were to rip this stave in 2 with a band saw... do I zip through those two knots in the center line or try to skirt around them somehow? For instance... in the above picture... you should be able to see that one knot that is dead nuts in the center, 16" from the near end of the stave. The stave at the ring, is about 4.5-5" wide.

Comment

I'd start trying to draw out the designs you want on the stave and see how the placement goes, then you'll know what to do with those knots.

Comment

I cut some string grooves 2" below the other ones and that brought the poundage up enough. Decided this bow will be for my wife since its light on draw weight. She's a lefty, so I cut the shelf on the wrong side just for her. Did a little shaping on the handle, still more work to be done there and cut the limbs down. Will make it a 64" bow once cut.

Comment

Well, i drew 3 lines down the stave. One down the center and then the center of each.

The stave is 4" at its narrowest section.

A straight line from tip to tip doesn't cross the centerline of the bow, so I will have to bend the roughed out bows at some point.

Question: how much do you mark from the edge of the stave as area you will need to cut off... or do you take the sides down to yellow before you lay your bow out?

Comment

You can square the stave up a bit...take off those thin splitting edges to about an inch thick...that will give you a better idea of the actual useable width of the stave...and now here is a kicker...you dont HAVE to get two bows outta that thing...if it makes you one shooter youve done a good job ....it will be easier on you to layout one bow and use all the good stuff that stave has to offer than try and squeeze two bows out of her...more experienced builders might get two... but you dont HAVE to kill yourself trying for that.

Comment

i wouldn't saw it. You end up with run offs.

Comment

Great thread

Comment

I'll square up the edges and see what I have.

If I end up only being able to get one bow out of it... then the hard choice will be whether to chase that really really thick 4th ring.....

Comment

Ahhhh ...now your thinkin like a bowyer !
                      Good choice...aint nothing wrong with the ring you chased either.

Comment

Okay, so I have a prelimary plan.

One side of the stave from centerline is full of knots. The other side has a few. So, If I were to split in half, that would be ideal. I thought about the center, but the dip and some knots bother me a little.

The bow is speaking its mind. A check has formed about 1/2" from centerline at one end. Luckily it is on the knotty side. I feel like it is telling me to split it there. It would potentially give me a 1.75" wide knotty stave to maybe have fun and make a character bow from.

Comment

Picture of the check. I noticed it form the day I scraped the sapwood off of it, but it has gotten more pronounced.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            Picture of the check. I noticed it form the day I scraped the sapwood off of it, but it has gotten more pronounced.

Split it lol

Comment

Lots of time there, don't get to antsy trying for a second unless your certain. Those sore hands will get worked out soon enough as well.

Comment

First watch the check ..it could stop..or
                                Cut the end off behind the check...its a long stave and your gonna end up not using some anyway.
                                Or...split it and hope it follows the grain true
                                None of those choices are bad ..but some are better...lol

Comment

Working...
                                X