Portable welder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable welder question

I have a tripod stand at my lease that I need to weld on some new steps. Is there a portable welder that I can rent that is simple to use? I haven't welded anything since welding class in the 8th grade and I really don't want to haul it home 247 miles and then take it back later. I'd like to be able to fix it at the lease and whack a few hogs out of it. Thanks!

You can rent them at any rental place just about. Or get a little cheapo mig at tractor supply.

Comment

steps that a person will be climbing on elevated... and you want your rookie skills welding on them? you should just invite a pro out to do the job with his equipment and let him hunt with your for the day as payment!

Comment

Steps on a tripod would not be my first choice for my first venture into welding in a few light years. The consequences of failure could be pretty significant. That said I have done some welding with a machine hooked to a 5 kw generator. So if you can get those two pieces there you should have the equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
          steps that a person will be climbing on elevated... and you want your rookie skills welding on them? you should just invite a pro out to do the job with his equipment and let him hunt with your for the day as payment!

I'll be the only one climbing on it so its not that big a deal. I'm going to weld some 1" square tube on top of the 3/8 that is already there. It ain't that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
            I'll be the only one climbing on it so its not that big a deal. I'm going to weld some 1" square tube on top of the 3/8 that is already there. It ain't that difficult.
            You dont have to fall that far to get seriously hurt, or die.

Comment

If there is anyway you can drill the step and bolt it to the leg, then weld it, that way if your weld should crack, it might still hold you. I fell from a tripod and hit on my hip and busted several ribs. Because of that fall, I had to have my hip replaced. Don’t take any chances. It ain’t worth the pain etc. You are still young and seemingly indestructible, but don’t play like you are a super hero. Life is too precious. Be smart, be safe. I don’t bowhunt out of anything but a ground level box blind now. Lol

Comment

Miller bobcat has an engine powering a generator....most rental places can fix you up....is the metal carbon steel? If so weld it with 6010 rods, make sure it is clean metal.....

Comment

Where is it located??

Comment

by the time you go through all that it may be easier/cheaper to hire a local guy. FB marketplace for whatever the area is in is a great place to look. Seems like in our area there are always folks looking to make a few extra bucks on the side.

Comment

What my man was getting at was, he’d come weld it if you’d let him hunt. Lol

Comment

Statistically, 50% of all falls above 6 feet result in a fatality. Not good odds, if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                          Statistically, 50% of all falls above 6 feet result in a fatality. Not good odds, if you ask me.
                          Before I call BS on that statistic, I'm going to look it up, but I'm calling BS.

Comment

Says the guy who hasn’t welded since the 8th grade ! I’m a welder by trade and I say you can teach a monkey how to weld ...... but if you haven’t done it in years and your life / well being depends on it I would at least play with the machine for a bit before welding the steps on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              Before I call BS on that statistic, I'm going to look it up, but I'm calling BS.
                              It might not be quite that high, but it's definitely higher than you think. At least according to OSHA.

Comment

Working...
                              X