Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cutting two fletchings from one uncut feather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cutting two fletchings from one uncut feather?

I got my order of uncut fletching feathers in and after measuring them I realized I can get two feather fletchings out of each one. Any reason not to do so? I was told the back of the feather is too thin for a proper fletching and the arrow won't stabilize.

Thanks for your time.
    Richard.
    Last edited by Junkers88; 08-18-2016, 05:37 PM.

If im following ya correctly Richard, you got uncut full-length, correct? If so, then yes, that is what a fella buys em for... Cuz, depending on what shape/length of feather your making, you can get multiples out of one, thusly being easier on the pocketbook. I just made up a 1/2 doz. this week (they were already cut to 5" shield) and on several, the base was thinner at the back. This is common, and I've never had any issues to my knowledge with adhesion, and I don't even wanna think how many I've fletched in my time! Good luck brother... Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Thanks Rusty! I'm doing 4" shield cuts. I just couldn't see wasting 6" of perfectly fine feather after one cut.

God Bless and great hunting to you!
      Richard.

Comment

Plenty of folks use secondaries and like em. I can't imagine the tail end of a primary is that much thinner than a secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          Plenty of folks use secondaries and like em. I can't imagine the tail end of a primary is that much thinner than a secondary.

Comment

Coming from a primitive style...you would be amazed at how short fletchings can be ...and stabilize just fine.

Comment

Lots of people use 4" fletch so they can get 2 fletchings from one uncut feather.

Comment

YUP, do it all the time with no problems.

Comment

it's why i buy mostly uncut..

Comment

I dont mean to steal the thread, but where did you buy the uncut feathers? I am looking for some full length uncut so I can burn me some 5" shields. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by ptlmg View Post
                      I dont mean to steal the thread, but where did you buy the uncut feathers? I am looking for some full length uncut so I can burn me some 5" shields. Thanks in advance.
                      I order mine off ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by ptlmg View Post
                        I ordered mine from 3Rivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                          I ordered mine from 3Rivers.
                          Ebay is cheaper and has free shipping

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            Ebay is cheaper and has free shipping
                            Yeah I know that now.

Comment

Working...
                            X