Finally caught a Lightning Snap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally caught a Lightning Snap

The new wife and I spent our honeymoon out in the hill country this past weekend. Staying in a hill top lodge outside of Wimberley, when that string of storms rolled through with some wicked awesome lightning. Decided to pull out her Rebel T3 and try to catch some good sky shots. Finally managed to grab a bolt. It's not an impressive streak across the sky, and the focus is off, but its a clean bolt. Attaching the cropped version.

F number: 11
    Exposure: 20 seconds
    ISO: 400

This one I got by setting it up to capture 10 images in a row, with the 20 second exposures. After doing some reading, i should have set the shutter on bulb, and controlled it manually.

Any advice for better night/lightning pics?
    Attached Files

Neat picture. Hard to get. Had the new wife with you, where did you leave the old one?

Comment

There are lots of plans on the net to build a lightning camera trigger using a photo resistor and an ardrino microprocessor. Sounds more complicated than it is. It senses a change in light level and triggers the shutter automatically. I built one for my Nikon cameras and it cost me about $25. Have even used it to capture gun shots fter dark. Search for arduino Canon lightning trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Kills-myth View Post
        There are lots of plans on the net to build a lightning camera trigger using a photo resistor and an ardrino microprocessor. Sounds more complicated than it is. It senses a change in light level and triggers the shutter automatically. I built one for my Nikon cameras and it cost me about $25. Have even used it to capture gun shots fter dark. Search for arduino Canon lightning trigger.
        Thanks I will check it out.

Comment

nice

Comment

Working...
          X