Getting closer with form!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting closer with form!

Took all the advice given so far on my video thread and from a couple calls from TBH members, the personal touch of actually talking to someone on the phone was nice. Also need to give thanks to Bisch for answering my long winded and all-over-the-topic PMs.

I opened up my stance a bit and have squared up a tad to the target so I'm not so right angled to it and I'm not slapping myself in the mouth anymore. I'm also slowing way down with my shot sequence. Ditched the glove for a tab and the blistered ring finger issue is gone but that might be in part to making sure both my hands are in alignment and not the fault of the glove. No longer canting the bow during the draw phase and the shoulder pain is gone (thanks SwampRabbit!) and I'm looking more frontal towards the target instead of straight over my bow shoulder. I also keep my bow hand up and pointing at the target until I see the fletchings hit which is the cause of my left and right issues.

Back to practicing at 6 yards instead of 10 and have found a secure and repeatable anchor point. I'd describe it but it'll sound odd. Anyway as long as I get things done in order my groups are tightening up. I'm getting 2 of 3 shafts to touch about 50% of the time so that's something.

As long as I do all the above correctly the shots feel fluid and I'm making small gains in my accuracy and confidence. It's gotten to where I'm messing up one or two things consistently though.

1) I keep closing my stance back to what is comfortable. Bad habit there that I'm working to break.

2) I sometimes forget the anchor point and after the shot find my head up and away from the string trying to peek at where the shot is supposed to go. When this happens the shot is off by a foot or so.

3) I'm still rushing the shot. I want to come to anchor and release as soon as I feel my anchor point instead of waiting a second or two to ensure I'm all in line.

So far I'm still happy with it and making small steps towards getting this to come together. Deer season 2017 is when I take this to the field for real world trials.

Thank you all again.
    Richard.

Edit: Yeah I know I post up a lot about progress even if it's just baby steps but I like letting you all know that I'm actually taking your advice and putting it into use.

Keep working on it Richard, and it will come!

Bisch

Comment

Practice practice practice

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
        Edit: Yeah I know I post up a lot about progress even if it's just baby steps but I like letting you all know that I'm actually taking your advice and putting it into use.
        Doesn't bother me... the trad forum gets slow at times and it is nice when there is stuff going on around here.

We are all rooting for you... and it will be just that much more exciting for us when we see you post up your first kill.

Comment

Glad to hear it's going good!! Everybody here has helped me a lot too. Good group of guys.

Comment

Keep it up Richard. I think you'll be ready to carry that bow afield before deer season '17. You'll probably be ready to chase some pigs before then.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
              Keep it up Richard. I think you'll be ready to carry that bow afield before deer season '17. You'll probably be ready to chase some pigs before then.
              I hope so. I'd love to put some ham in the freezer with a traditional bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                I agree!! You're doing good!! Just stay close. I know my max is 15 yards right now for deer, so I'm going to set up for 12 or so and not push my limits.

Comment

You got a solid 3 months before December. We gotta long season!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    You got a solid 3 months before December. We gotta long season!

Comment

Working...
                    X