Spotting Scope Help & Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotting Scope Help & Recommendations

I am new to the spotting scope world and will be purchasing a spotting scope in the next week or so, trying to stay under $500 but can go higher if it is worth it. Done some research the past few days but still undecided and hoped y'all could help.

Will be using it mostly at the gun range, scouting trips for future hunts, viewing stuff far away on camping/fishing trips and probably low end digiscoping.

Wanting a 80mm objective lens but is the $$ and weight worth the extra amount of viewing time at dawn and dusk or will a 65mm work just fine?

What is y'alls opinion on straight or 45deg angle?

Currently looking at a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80 wanting a Vortex Viper 15-45x65/20-60x80. Is the clarity worth the justification to spend that much more? I'm wanting the Vortex due to the warranty since I will probably drop it one day some how but am open to look and hear about other brands.

Sorry for the long post, just don't know anyone that has or knows enough to help me decide. Thanks y'all.

There is a Diamondback in the classifieds right now

Comment

I would worry less about the magnification and buy the best glass you can. The little 50 mm Razor is one hell of a spotting scope for $700.00
      Last edited by El General; 05-20-2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        I would worry less about the magnification and buy the best glass you can.

Best advice you could get

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Speaking from experience with digiscoping great glass is a must.

I have a Viper HD and it has to be nearly full sunlight before I can use it effectively.

Spotting scopes are even more sensitive to glass quality than scopes because of the high magnification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
            I would worry less about the magnification and buy the best glass you can. The little 50 mm Razor is one hell of a spotting scope for $700.00
            Thats the advice I'm looking for! Thanks

So would you get the straight or 45deg eyepiece?

Comment

Originally posted by HelmCrusher View Post
              Thats the advice I'm looking for! Thanks

So would you get the straight or 45deg eyepiece?
              If you're glassing uphill most of the time, go angled. If you are looking straight on or downhill for the most part, straight would serve you better from my experience. I have all straight spotters, I can angle myself to glass uphill comfortably.

I just got a Leupold 60mm I'm pretty impressed with so far, but you're looking at close to a G. I have seen a few go used for $700ish.

Comment

Angled works better most of the time if you are glassing off of a tripod.

Comment

I forgot you can also rotate the 45 to either side.

Comment

Working...
                  X