Breckenberry bow???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breckenberry bow???

My father had a guy buy the name of Jim Breckenberry build him a custom recurve bow years ago....I believe Jim has passed now. My dad has gotten older and is having shoulder issues. He is wanting to sale his bow. Any idea of what it is worth? Is it something somebody would want?

He also has a custom long bow built by a guy in Oklahoma. He's probably gonna wanna move it also. If I post some pics, do you think you guys could help me out with pricing?

A big part of the equation is in the poundage. Generally speaking, takedowns in good condition with eye appeal in the 45-58 pound range can fetch $300 to $400. Thats a wide range, I know, but a lot has to do with eye appeal. Jim made some fine shooters, and a lot of folks that have one are looking for a back-up bow.... knowing that Jim is not with us anymore to make another. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kidwell View Post
      A big part of the equation is in the poundage. Generally speaking, takedowns in good condition with eye appeal in the 45-58 pound range can fetch $300 to $400. Thats a wide range, I know, but a lot has to do with eye appeal. Jim made some fine shooters, and a lot of folks that have one are looking for a back-up bow.... knowing that Jim is not with us anymore to make another. JMHO
      What Tom said, and if it is a Legend signature in good shape, you might fetch as much as $600 for it.

Rick

Comment

It's a "Drifter" takedown. It says "handmade for (my fathers name) by Jim Brackenbury"

60#@31" and it's a BEAUTIFUL bow.

Comment

You should have no problem selling that bow if it is in good shape. 60#@31" will be about 51#@28". That is a good draw weight for a lot of people.

Bisch

Comment

Jim taught alot of upstart bowyers the craft. Some of those people are still making a living off what Jim taught them. Very desireable bow to own for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
              Jim taught alot of upstart bowyers the craft. Some of those people are still making a living off what Jim taught them. Very desireable bow to own for sure.
              Spot on !!!!!!!

Bill Howland, and Wes Wallace are two specific ones who would go on that list.

Bill is still building the Bracks, and in my opinion has taken them to a new, and better level. They are awesome bows.

Wes's bows are pretty much Bracks under a different name, and they too are great bows, but I think (in my opinion) Bill's are better.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
                It's a "Drifter" takedown. It says "handmade for (my fathers name) by Jim Brackenbury"

60#@31" and it's a BEAUTIFUL bow.
                I would keep it.I think you may regret selling your dads custom bow.I would!

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                  ^^^^This X 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

You'll never really get what it is worth, especially what it is worth to you.

Rick

Comment

You ever think of taking up trad yourself?? Unless he's hurting for funds, I think the above is good advice, you can get decent $$ for it, but probably not what it's really worth to the original owner.

Comment

x3

Comment

I don't have any interest in traditional shooting. And he wants to buy something else, so he will be selling it. Not me. He has a custom long bow as well. He will be sling them both. Any tips on where to list them? Bill with Brack bows has offered to list the Brack on his site.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
                          I don't have any interest in traditional shooting. And he wants to buy something else, so he will be selling it. Not me. He has a custom long bow as well. He will be sling them both. Any tips on where to list them? Bill with Brack bows has offered to list the Brack on his site.
                          If you've never tried Trad shooting you might want to before he gets rid of them.Its addicting! Never know you may be kicking dad some cash for one of them.If not I think the classifieds on here will get it done for him!

Comment

Working...
                          X