Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freestylest22 View Post
    They do like the asphalt gig/scam

Funny this came up. The first time I ever heard of Gypsises being in Texas was my grandfather getting taken by them in Garland. They put watered down grout in the cracks of his drive and then dumped recycled blacktop at the end of his concrete drive where it met the road.

They asked him for payment as one guy pushed around the blacktop with a rake. As you would imagine, as soon as payment was made, they split the minute he went inside.

He was 92.

Comment

I started a thread about them years ago. I can't find it now. I saw 6-8 kids in a west Ft worth Taco Bell. The were clean cut dressed to the nines and acted like animals.

Comment

There's quite a few that run around ft worth. Very sticky fingers, always driving expensive cars and trucks. The young teenage girls run around at night like they just got through working the street corner.

Comment

one scam they play is gift cards. they buy a card from Home depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart for 300.00 then try to sell it for 250.00 they will meet you at the store to show you the card is real, and has the correct amount on it. you pay the money they take off. before you can check out at the front desk, they have already placed a order on line for the set price of that card. that makes them 50.00 but what is bought online is sold for 275.00 or more on Craig's list. beware.

Comment

Don’t recall the details...but a father and son did some work for an old lady in town. They took out a life insurance policy on her then killed her. When they tried to collect they got caught.

Comment

Originally posted by freestylest22 View Post
              They do like the asphalt gig/scam
              They come to my house every once in awhile, always same scam " we just finished a asphalt job and have some left over"
              I just take a picture of their truck and they're gone

Comment

my folks bought a mobile home in a park once very cheap in Bryan TX when I was a kid. Place was practically empty. Then one day it was full. It was a traveling gypsy group that used that park as their home base and all had travel trailers. My folks said they were nice but too rowdy and they left shorty after they showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                  Irish travelers... they were all over the place when I lived in GA. Their community was across the border in SC.
                  Not many irish travellers in the world compared to Romani.

Comment

Roofing and Drive way repair's are their main scams. They will steal what ever you have stored around if not chained up or locked up.

Comment

There is a large Travelers community in the White Settlement area of Fort Worth. A few years ago 5-6 of their teenagers were killed in a horrble wreck on 820. I remember that LEO had a hard time figuring out who they were because each of them were carrying 3-4 IDs with different names

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                        Not many irish travellers in the world compared to Romani.
                        Correct - but their sphere of existence was local where I lived. The boys drove super high dollar trucks and the girls married very very young. Big new homes were built with foil on the windows while waiting for bad sprits to leave while living in trailers next to them. It was surreal.

Comment

There was an interesting thread on here several years ago about this. Shady but interesting creatures!

Comment

I dealt with them several times in law enforcement. Very hard to identify unless they have been fingerprinted. Vehicles registered to ghost names/addresses. Always scamming. Talking to old people in the front yard about a job while another one sneaks in and burglarizes the house. Asphalt. Gift cards. Bad checks. Stolen equipment. Strange lot of folks. They will rent a nice hotel room and take everything including the fixtures, wiring, lighting, TV, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              I dealt with them several times in law enforcement. Very hard to identify unless they have been fingerprinted. Vehicles registered to ghost names/addresses. Always scamming. Talking to old people in the front yard about a job while another one sneaks in and burglarizes the house. Asphalt. Gift cards. Bad checks. Stolen equipment. Strange lot of folks. They will rent a nice hotel room and take everything including the fixtures, wiring, lighting, TV, etc.
                              I know back in the early 80's, there were a bunch back in there off Mount Houston, Herman Rd. area, where all those trailer houses were.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                                I know back in the early 80's, there were a bunch back in there off Mount Houston, Herman Rd. area, where all those trailer houses were.
                                I didnt know u were familiar with that area. That's where I patrolled in the 90s. Ran into the most gypsies near lillja rd between Aldine mail route and Aldine Bender rd.

Comment

Working...
                                X