Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wisco View Post
                Shot this one Friday afternoon.
                Congrats!

Comment

congrats on the bacon

Comment

heading out there Sunday morning, i've parked at county rd. 496 and hiked west past the primitive camp a few times in the past but I want to try out gate 6 or 7 this time around. any quick tips?

Comment

Originally posted by Tsunami View Post
                      heading out there Sunday morning, i've parked at county rd. 496 and hiked west past the primitive camp a few times in the past but I want to try out gate 6 or 7 this time around. any quick tips?
                      Walk sloooow and look in the thick stuff. Binos can help spot ears and stuff poking up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by strigif0rm3s View Post
                        Walk sloooow and look in the thick stuff. Binos can help spot ears and stuff poking up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
                        thanks! i'll keep that in mind!

Comment

new to bow hunting

brand spanking new to bow hunting, as in picked up the bow yesterday. i am looking to take my first hog and really just need some general help/assistance. im not looking for anyone's honey hole just looking for some pointers. i have been out there for duck but never hog. i was planning on checking out the dam side gate 8 as well as around gate 7. since i have never stalked before i just need some pointers. am i allowed to throw some corn out and set up a blind or should i just dive right in and attempt to walk slow and quite and try and stalk? if i get lucky am i allowed to field dress on the spot, if so can i leave the guts or do i need to bag it, or do i have to take the hog back to the truck? what kind of broad head should i use? really just to summarize i need some pointers on where to start and how to go about bow hunting in general. i will be going by myself with no experience at bow hunting. any help is much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by bsizzle View Post
                            brand spanking new to bow hunting, as in picked up the bow yesterday. i am looking to take my first hog and really just need some general help/assistance. im not looking for anyone's honey hole just looking for some pointers. i have been out there for duck but never hog. i was planning on checking out the dam side gate 8 as well as around gate 7. since i have never stalked before i just need some pointers. am i allowed to throw some corn out and set up a blind or should i just dive right in and attempt to walk slow and quite and try and stalk? if i get lucky am i allowed to field dress on the spot, if so can i leave the guts or do i need to bag it, or do i have to take the hog back to the truck? what kind of broad head should i use? really just to summarize i need some pointers on where to start and how to go about bow hunting in general. i will be going by myself with no experience at bow hunting. any help is much appreciated.
                            Granger is not the best place to try for your first hog; Granger is PHD level hog hunting, but it's still fun to hunt them there.

Read the thread, all of it, then use the search function, all of your questions have been answered; one was even answered two posts above yours.

Given you situation (total newbie) you should try to get with someone who is going out there; you will learn more from a day in the woods than from a month of online forums.

Comment

Went back on Nov 2nd, after the light rain, in the morning. Went north side of Willis Creek, off CR 349. The ragweed (aka bloodweed) is much thicker there than last year. I only heard some movement in the weeds, but the guy I was with (who was trying bowhunting for the very FIRST TIME), got off an 11 yard shot at a 200 lb sow, part of a sonder of 7. He totally missed the walking pig.
                              Pretty sure the pigs did not see me, but winded me, and were moving to get downwind of me when he saw them.

Comment

bsizzle: You don't need to be a super archer at Granger, most shots are between 10 and 20 yards. Practice till you can reliably shoot 4 inch groups at 20 yards. Then practice some more, shooting a various ranges, and learning to estimate range. Look at the picture on page 136 to figure out where to aim. If you hit the hog, but don't get either a double lung or a heart shot, then you probably wont recover the animal.

Comment

Working...
                                X