Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered Livestock to qualify Ag Exempt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nova View Post
    I'm not following your train of thought. If it was previously in ag and now it is approved for wildlife why do you want to switch it back to ag? It should be revenue neutral and the practices you want to do in the back should keep you qualified for wildlife exemption.
    Tax deductible! I.posted on other threas abt this and found out that wildlife tax ex changed their ways last Jan and limits on everything regarding to tax exemption which Ag.Ex has more beneficial than Wildlife Ex.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      Goats and sheep certainly qualify for Ag Exemption. I would call the local Ag extension agent and find out what the recommended animal per acre and go with the minimum he recommends.

Smaller animals can be a pain to deal with too because they will escape of out regular barb wire fencing easily.
      Ah...gotcha...oh boy...I got to make decision then....ill email this woman at the office.

Comment

Easy decision on the livestock. Go with a few head of cattle.

Sheep and goats are nothing but trouble imo. They are escape artists and you will need to have smaller wire mesh on fencing to keep them from sticking their heads through. I've seen a lot of billy goats stick their heads through wire mesh and get their horns stuck. End result is a billy goat with a broken neck and a hole someone has to dig. Fencing cost are a lot higher for sheep and goats. Obviously, cattle can be kept in with nothing more than a few strands of barbed wire.

Comment

Why not do timber or hay they both qualify for ag.

Comment

They don't have to be your cows you can lease it to a neighbor. So long as its being used for production.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
              Easy decision on the livestock. Go with a few head of cattle.

Sheep and goats are nothing but trouble imo. They are escape artists and you will need to have smaller wire mesh on fencing to keep them from sticking their heads through. I've seen a lot of billy goats stick their heads through wire mesh and get their horns stuck. End result is a billy goat with a broken neck and a hole someone has to dig. Fencing cost are a lot higher for sheep and goats. Obviously, cattle can be kept in with nothing more than a few strands of barbed wire.
              Good to know, how much does one cow costs? Better get calves or few females and one bull? Kind? Heifer, Angus, others?

Comment

Too small of acreage? So I gotta fence in and lease it out to someone? Gettin paid to.have cattle on our prop?

QUOTE=Lungbustr;5174583]Why not do timber or hay they both qualify for ag.[/QUOTE]

t

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                They don't have to be your cows you can lease it to a neighbor. So long as its being used for production.

Comment

cows are several hundred up to low 1,000's...but will resell and keep making you money

I agree sheeps/goats are a PIA, not cows.

Comment

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
                    cows are several hundred up to low 1,000's...but will resell and keep making you money

I agree sheeps/goats are a PIA, not cows.
                    Cool. Best breed?

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
                      Cool. Best breed?
                      That I can't tell you......I am no cow expert

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
                        Tax deductible! I.posted on other threas abt this and found out that wildlife tax ex changed their ways last Jan and limits on everything regarding to tax exemption which Ag.Ex has more beneficial than Wildlife Ex.
                        You can still have Tax deductions even if your place in wildlife ex status.Just put a few cattle on it and your good to go.Do you have the fence to hold sheep or goats?

Comment

Yes, lease out grazing rights to a local rancher. Head to the local feed store for some prospects.

That way, you get the ag exemption AND get some $$ from the rancher.

Only downside, you have to deal with the rancher who runs the cattle. That could be a crap shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Osceola View Post
                            You can still have Tax deductions even if your place in wildlife ex status.Just put a few cattle on it and your good to go.Do you have the fence to hold sheep or goats?
                            They just changed it last Jan where you cant do.that anymore..that is my understanding...

Comment

One of my friends got rid of their cattle and has some kind of "bird sanctuary" permit, much easier and don't need to mess with cattle, sheep, or goats.

Comment

Originally posted by lnester View Post
                                Yes, lease out grazing rights to a local rancher. Head to the local feed store for some prospects.

That way, you get the ag exemption AND get some $$ from the rancher.

Only downside, you have to deal with the rancher who runs the cattle. That could be a crap shoot.
                                Right and I thought about some rancher on my property which.is.kinda not what Im shooting for...I.like the idea of doin work myself on.my animal. I dont work so being on ranch full time, workin the.land and animals is something Ive got time. keeps me busy. keeps me from sittin around like right now at home with.all.chores done.and.nothin to do except to.look forward to get out to ranch tomorrow and hunt hard! :thumbup:

Comment

Working...
                                X