Finally made it to Yellowstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally made it to Yellowstone

Most of my life I have wanted to go to Yellowstone, we finally went this summer. We only got to spend a day there, but it was great. I really want to go back in September or October, that would be a great trip. We went in July. We went to Utah, then spent most of our time in Idaho, it was supposed to be a longer trip, we were supposed to go to Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons. The trip was originally planned many months prior, then we wound up in the middle of the house buying process as the trip came around, so we decided to shorten the trip.

We plan to go back and spend a week or more in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole, then probably go up to Montana, then back to Idaho.

In our one day trip to Yellowstone, we saw a lot of buffalo, quite a few elk, only one group of bulls, a lot of cows and calves. One momma black bear and cub, then a huge whitetail buck, very heavy rack. We also saw multiple groups of pronghorn. My brother in-law went with us, he and I were hoping to see some moose and grizzlies, we had to settle for elk and a black bear. Oh, I forgot, we saw one coyote, no wolves. I saw quite a few people fly fishing. The rivers we saw up there looked like fly fishing dreams. But you have to use barbless hooks, only fly fishing gear and only catch and release. It would still be a lot of fun, those rivers looked beautiful, I almost took my flyrod and tackle. Kind of glad I did not, would have been very hard not to fish, while we were there. My father in-law had a agenda to drive to spots he picked out and we were not to deviate from his plans, nor were we supposed to stop and see the sights, because it would mess up his plans. Yea, I screwed up his plans pretty badly. Don't tell me I can't stop and look at elk bears and a huge buck. So we have to go back without the father in-law and his plan book.

My wife bought a nice camera for this trip, just remember it's a Cannon. I could zoom in and count the flies on a buffalo at 800 yards. Some of these pictures were taken at a lot farther distance, than it may seem. Make sure you have a very good camera and your fly tackle before you make a trip up there and don't take your father in-law, then make sure you have a lot of time, there is a lot to see.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 03-03-2019, 06:00 PM.

I've only been once a few years ago and I could go back once a year.

You definitely owe it to yourself to go back and spend a few days. Go do all the touristy stuff in the South side of the park then spend some time up North.

Next time I go I'll be venturing as far off the roads I can!

Comment

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I love Yellowstone. awesome pics

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          I've only been once a few years ago and I could go back once a year.

You definitely owe it to yourself to go back and spend a few days. Go do all the touristy stuff in the South side of the park then spend some time up North.

Next time I go I'll be venturing as far off the roads I can!
          We plan to go venturing way off the main roads on the next trip. This trip, I did not realize before we left, my wife let her father plan our trip or he appointed himself the tour guide, which did not include stopping and seeing the sights, but as you can see I did not follow his plans very well. I have a lot more pictures, but these give a pretty good idea of what we saw. Yes, we went to Old Faithful, saw other geysers and hot springs. They were interesting to see, but not really my thing, when there was all of the beautiful country and big animals.

I got yelled at much of the trip for stopping and getting out to see elk, deer, buffalo, rivers, mountains, ect. My wife's father was boiling mad, within the first two hours, I messed his plans up pretty badly. I was not happy, when I found out we could have easily have spent two days in Yellowstone had we just taken off and gone. But we sat around her parent's place in Idaho for multiple days. We had to wait till the day he planned for us to take our quick trip through the park. Had I known this, we would have been there a day earlier without him. We did get to spend one day fishing the Snake River in Idaho, but it did not go well. The river was way up, from a lot of extra snow this past winter. Most of the people we talked to, said they were not catching anything, because the river was so high and flowing very strong. We got to see some beautiful scenery in Idaho also.
          Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 09-05-2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

This sign is in Idaho Falls, where my wife's parents live.
            Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 03-03-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Isn't it a beautiful place? Been there a few times myself and do plan on returning.

Comment

It's a remarkable piece of America. We're going next summer and on to Jackson Hole as well. Can't wait.

Comment

Awesome photos, thanks for sharing.

Never been, ready to go now.

Comment

Made my first trip about a month ago. Place is unreal!

Comment

I took my first real vacation there in 1982,, I will never forget it and hope I can get back at least once more

Comment

Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole are bucket list places for me

Comment

We have been multiple times and always enjoy it. We finally got to see the Lamar Valley last week. I HIGHLY recommend driving the Beartooth Highway (outside the park) up to Red Lodge, MT and the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway which is also outside the park. Trust me, you won't regret it! The Beartooth has been called the most beautiful drive in the USA.

Comment

Good advice Burnadell. That drive is amazing.
                            If you want to fish you need to go after the high spring runoff. Some years July is about right.
                            Highway 130 over the Snowy Range is another very pretty drive with some amazing scenery at the top and lots of spots to pull off and take a short, or day, hike and fish.
                            It would be an excursion off of I-80 through Saratoga and into Laramie.

Comment

Driving thru the park during the summer is awe inspiring! Winter on a snow mobile is something to see. No cars are allowed. Only sleds and snow coaches with a guide. You can rent from a number of local businesses. Then you can grab a map a trial ride outside the park for thousands of miles of trails!

Comment

Working...
                              X