No announcement yet.

GOP Tax Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some highlights. The provisions affecting individuals are estimated to reduce taxes by $929 billion over 10 years, while the provisions affecting businesses are estimated to reduce taxes by $561 billion over 10 years. The individual provisions include the benefits of the plan's lower individual income tax rate on pass-through business income.
    To put the breadth of these changes into perspective, the Congressional Budget Office projects the US income tax system (individual and corporate income taxes) to raise, under current law, $25.9 trillion over 10 years — $22.0 trillion through the individual income tax and $3.9 trillion through the corporate income tax. Over the 10-year budget window, the JCT estimates the bill to reduce individual income taxes (including the lower tax rate on certain pass-through income) by 4% and corporate income taxes by 14%.

I think the fundamental questions/issues are:
    1. How does a corporate tax cut benefit the country (the labor/workers or the shareholders)? This is not an easy answer but the GOP argues it is the workers who bear the tax burden and thus will benefit from a corporate cut. While i agree we need to be competitive, we are still going to be way higher than Ireland (12.5%) and many other foreign countries.
    2. Assuming this tax cut creates new jobs, how do you fill them when the US is basically at full employment right now based on the rate of unemployment? GOP must figure out a way to make immigration work to fill these news jobs.
    3. The deficit - this will not get much if any Dem support to get to a super majority, so you should expect the tax cuts to phase out over a 10 year window because the plan will add to the deficit beyond the 10 year budget window as it currently stands. This way the senate can pass as a budget reconciliation measure with 51 votes (not even sure they can get that). No doubt it will get watered down over the coming weeks.

Personally, it won't change my effective rate too much. I have two kids so don't benefit greatly from the personal exemptions. I don't itemize so will get some help from the increased standard deduction. I don't expect a big raise at work based on a corporate tax cut for many reasons. Hopefully our owner will save some cash and have some dry powder for the next recession so that we can be aggressive in acquisitions.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wheels View Post
      This also helps to finance single mothers and keep fathers out of the picture. It's an unintended consequence that is destroying families.
      I have been saying this for years! Im not so sure it is unintended though.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
        2. how do you fill them when the US is basically at full employment right now based on the rate of unemployment?
        Wait, I thought everyone here believed the BLS stats were BS and that there was significantly higher unemployment; I mean, it's not like they changed their metrics...

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
          Wait, I thought everyone here believed the BLS stats were BS and that there was significantly higher unemployment; I mean, it's not like they changed their metrics...
          Regardless of the "official" statistics, I can tell you it is very tough to fill positions in our line of business right now and our subs and homebuilders are struggling even more to find labor. Quite a bit has to do with immigration. And heaven help us if we actually pass an infrastructure bill! That will require a huge amount of labor!

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
            Ouch

Comment

I fear republicans may have gotten too greedy by trying to put the repeal of the individual mandate into the tax bill. I know it is a tax, the supreme court knows it is a tax, but the topic is too hot to handle for many and the track record(s) on the health care bills speaks for itself. One senator has already said he is a No. Funny thing is he doesn't think it does enough for CORPORATIONS! Even though they don't vote....

Per ABC News:
              The figures were released a day after Ron Johnson of Wisconsin became the first Republican senator to say he opposed the GOP bill, complaining that it left taxes too high on some corporations and partnerships.

Besides Johnson, Republican Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Jeff Flake and John McCain of Arizona, Bob Corker of Tennessee and Lisa Murkowski have yet to commit to backing the tax measure.

Republicans controlling the Senate 52-48 can approve the legislation with just 50 votes, plus tie-breaking support from Vice President Mike Pence. With solid Democratic opposition likely, that means they can lose just two GOP votes — a precarious figure.

Even before the new numbers came out, some House Republicans spoke warily of what might happen to the tax bill in the Senate.

"Political survival depends on us doing this." said Rep. Kevin Cramer, R-N.D. "Frankly, one of the things that scares me a little bit is that they're going to screw up the bill to the point we can't pass it."

Comment

I don't have a lot of confidence in this making it through the Senate.

Comment

I want to sell my house next year and retire. If this changes the tax treatment on capital gains on sale of home ( I’m fine with 5/8 years) and I have to drop an additional $50-$100k in the tax collector’s pocket, I’ll be a pizzed off boy.

I pay too much already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What sleediot threw Obamacare into this bill?
                    That was a quick way to send it to its death

Comment

5% flat tax, based on gross. Individuals and corporations. Fire all the IRS. Sorry to all the CPAs.

I agree adding ACA language will kill it. If it dies, the stock market will be hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X