My 2015 Trophy of a Lifetime!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2015 Trophy of a Lifetime!

I finally got my Mountain Lion back from my taxidermist. I had the opportunity to take this guy while I was deer hunting. No dogs or traps to take this one probably just dumb luck more then anything. Being at the right place at the right time.
    He was actually stalking a couple deer in my feeder pen. What was truly amazing to me is he was less than 20 yards from the deer and they had no idea at all. I watched him for a good minute or two before I could process it all and get my gun out the blind window. After shooting all I saw was him jump up and a 3 foot tail whip around. I thought no way I missed but maybe I did..... It was about to start getting dark so I figured I better go see if I have blood or something. I sure as hell didn't want to tell the guys I had a chance to take a mountain lion and I missed. But the fact I needed to go track down a possible wounded lion freaked me out a bit. So I put on my backpack grabbed my AR and my sidearm and headed up the side of the hill towards my feeder pen. I found him less then 20 yards from where I shot him. I swear to god he looked like he was still alive though. So before I went to pick him up I shot him one more time with my 22 pistol in the chest. He was indeed done.
    After loading him up I texted my buddies to wait at the main gate. Just told them I have something they wouldn't believe. As I am coming around the road to the main gate I see a truck waiting that had my buddies stopped. It was the Game Warden. In that instance I wasn't 100% sure it was legal to take a mountain lion.....When I pulled up the game warden asked for my hunting license. As I was fumbling to pull it out she made the comment that I had a deer on my trailer. I said no it is a cat. It was at that time dark and she just saw a tan hide on the trailer. The look on her face was priceless she seemed confused. She walks over with her flashlight takes a look then yells for her partner to come over. Im thinking oh **** Im done what is this going to cost me...... Then shortly after that they asked if they could take pictures with it and hand me their phones. They had never seen one up close. I was a bit relieved I had done nothing illegal and they were more excited then I was. I then had to say do you still want to see my license? They had forgot all about checking us. lol
    For me this was a hunt that I will likely never be able to top, this is my trophy of a lifetime.

What I saw when I walked up on him
    Click image for larger version

Name:	lion Dead.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	25122025
    Back at Camp - Unfortunately I have no pictures bear hugging him. I did not know is what your are supposed to do until he was in the freezer.
    He was 115lbs!

Name:	Matt Lion.jpg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	25122029

Name:	Lion.jpg
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	25122028
    His Paws

Name:	Paw.jpg
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	25122032

Name:	Paw Claw.jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	25122031

Name:	Paw Claw 2.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	25122030

Finished at the Taxidermist 21 months after dropping him off. Well worth the wait!!!

Name:	Lion at Tax.jpg
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	25122024

Mounted in living room at house

Name:	Lion Home.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	25122027

Name:	Lion Home 2.jpg
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	25122026

Awesome!

Comment

Very nice!! Congrats. I bet that was an exciting hunt!

Comment

Absolute dream come true. I think I would just sit with a beer and just stare at that trophy. Congrats

Comment

Once in a lifetime if your truly lucky at best!!! Awesome story and cat/mount. What part of the state did you kill it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Really cool looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
              Once in a lifetime if your truly lucky at best!!! Awesome story and cat/mount. What part of the state did you kill it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              West Texas, Val Verde County Just North of Del Rio in Comstock.

Comment

Originally posted by laredoarcher View Post
                Absolute dream come true. I think I would just sit with a beer and just stare at that trophy. Congrats
                Got him home last week and I did do that! My dog is not impressed though... LOL

Comment

Awesome... congrats!

Comment

Wow what an incredible trophy. Definitely not something you see every day. Has anyone approached you about displaying him in a restaurant or perhaps Bass Pro or some place like that? Congratulations to you on a hunting trophy of a lifetime.

Comment

That's awesome, congrats!

Comment

Pretty cat. Congratulations.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Great Trophy!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Working...