When an unknown person pays for your restaurant bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When an unknown person pays for your restaurant bill

Admittedly, I was pleasantly surprised when I attempted to pay for a takeout order for a birthday party of sorts. The restaurant employee stated that the person before me payed for everything. It was hard to believe. So it was only fair that the gift be reciprocated. Couldn’t track down whoever payed for mine so I paid for several people behind me.

Good response! Pay it forward.

Comment

Yep. My wife did the same thing once. She also paid for a serviceman and his family’s dinner at Red Robin.

Comment

One of my favorite things to do!

Last year I had a lady get mad at me in a local drive through. I had already planned on paying for whoever was behind me. It ended up being her. She went from cussing me the whole way through the drive through to God Bless you sir, Thank You, etc etc. She was having a bad day!

Comment

I’ve done it a couple times. It seems like the 2x it’s happened to me has been at times when I needed it. It’s a great refresher that there are good people in the world

Comment

We have paid for a young couples at dinner a few times. Young love.

Comment

Good vibes. It never hurts to spread good vibes. Nice work on all fronts.

Comment

Okay. A question from me. How do you know in a drive thru that the cashier didn't pocket the money. Just curious. I think it is a great gesture.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                  Okay. A question from me. How do you know in a drive thru that the cashier didn't pocket the money. Just curious. I think it is a great gesture.
                  Pay with a card

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                    Slow roll from the drive-thru and look in the rear view mirror.
                    1. You can see them explaining to the next person in line.
                    2. When you pay get the receipt and it is entered in the store’s Point of Sale register.
                    3. If the cash register does not balance the cashier winds up coming out of her pocket to balance the register.

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
                      Slow roll from the drive-thru and look in the rear view mirror.
                      1. You can see them explaining to the next person in line.
                      2. When you pay get the receipt and it is entered in the store’s Point of Sale register.
                      3. If the cash register does not balance the cashier winds up coming out of her pocket to balance the register.
                      What happens if the person behind you pays with cash ? Can’t the cashier just stick it in their pocket? Complete ****** thing to do...

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                        What happens if the person behind you pays with cash ? Can’t the cashier just stick it in their pocket? Complete ****** thing to do...
                        Couldn't the waiter do the same in a restaurant? I've wondered the same. A couple of times i've cautioned the cashier that if they don't do their part, that the karma results will be on them. At some point you have a little trust in people or you don't.

The alternative is to stand beside someone in line and just tell them you're paying for their meal, buying their milk, or whatever. I have a buddy that goes that route. Sometimes it's cool, sometimes not.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                          It’s really not hard to take enough time going away from the window to see what’s going on. There will be a camera looki at the register, the window, the customer etc. it’s a whole lot harder for most of the cashiers to compute change on the fly without the register.

Comment

43 years ago, a wisened old New Jersey sea captain sitting quietly on a bar stool sent over two Heinekins for my girlfriend (now wife) and me. He told us we were a handsome couple. I sent him a beer in thanks, and raised my glass to him. He is dead by now, but I remember his act of kindness.

Comment

Well done sir!
                              I have paid several times for older couples. It sure makes you feel good!

Comment

Working...
                              X