Famous Encounters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous Encounters

A few buddies of mine, and our boys, went to the Supercross races last night (at AT&T Sradium) and we met Ty Murray while walking the track. Ty was incredibly gracious with his time and was great with our boys. Great guy!

After we got to our seats we were all discussing famous people that we’ve met and how our interactions changed our opinions of them (both good and bad).

So, I’ll turn the question to the GS...who have you met and did the interaction/conversation change your opinion of the person?

Went to the Mavs game Feb 10th. Met Ken Griffen Jr.

I've met President George HW Bush in many occasions when I worked at Oshmans by the Galleria. I worked the hunting/fishing dept and he always came back there to hang out. One time he came in shortly after surgery. He was using a wooden cane to help him get around but the end of the cane was slick and would slip sometimes if he put too much pressure on it. He asked if we had something to put in the end of it. Well, the rubber cap off the end of a dip net fit perfectly. As I was putting the cap on the end of the cane, I snapped the handle off of it! He was a good sport about it. Said he really didn't like the cane anyway! We bought him a new one - we all signed it, and he came up to the store so we could present it to him.

Comment

At the Panama airport
      Attached Files

Comment

We ran into Charles Barkley outside an Alabama football game while tailgating. My son jumped at the photo op. Nice guy.
        Attached Files

Comment

Lets see I've met Bob Stoops, Barry Switzer, RC Slocum, Spike Dykes, Art Briles, Wade Phillips, had a beer Dennis Franchione, talked football with Gary Patterson. All very very nice and except for one.

Comment

Tuff Hedeman, Cody Lambart , Kevin Millar

Comment

Muhammad Ali in 1990.

Comment

Burnt one many, many years ago with D.A.C. and another time shared the same bottle with Bocephus and members from Skynyrd

Can't forget about Selena Quintanilla
                Last edited by El Forajido; 02-18-2018, 12:30 PM. Reason: Add on

Comment

A looooooong time ago, I was in high school. My friends mom ran a bar where they were filming one of Willie Nelsons movies. We got to meet Willie and Slim Pickins. Willie seemed to not give a rats azz about meeting us, but Slim sat at that table and acted like he was our grandpa!!!! I was really impressed by Slim.

Bisch

Comment

My BIL and some friends were playing golf at TPC San Antonio a few years back. Started pouring rain so they seeked shelter under the awning of the bathroom. Another cart came cruising in for shelter. Well, it was LeBRon James on an off day from playoffs! He took a picture in a men’s bathroom with LeBRon on a golf course ! Lol
                    Last edited by JLivi1224; 02-18-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

When we lived in San Antonio, George Strait came in and sat in front of us in church. We didn’t meet but I did what anyone would do (sneak a pic with my flip phone when everyone was bowing during communion).

Comment

meet jackson taylor or jackson taylor and the sinners a couple of times, first time i met him we had a couple of beers together and then he went on stage, i thought he was part of the road crew, suprised me when he picked up the guitar and started playing, a great guy and great music, like waylon on steroids
                        Attached Files

Comment

Lots of y’all have met Tommy Lee Jones and George Michael...

Comment

When my oldest son was growing up he followed everything Chuck Yeager did, he thought the sun rose and fell in the test pilot. He had his walls covered with posters of Yeager. When I saw that Yeager was going to be at the Shot Show in Dallas, I took my son to see him. We entered the convention center and low and behold there was his idol talking with another man. We waited a minute and my son finally got up the courage to approach Yeager. The astronaut totally ignored my son. When he finally realized my son was there Yeager looked down and said, “Go away kid” and turned his back on the 12 year old. It was a silent trip back home. When we got there my son took down all the posters on his wall and threw all the pictures he had of Yeager in the trash. For some reason he didn’t want to be a test pilot anymore.

Comment

I used to office down the hall from Tom Landry and his son after he left the Cowboys. I was working late one night and rode down the elevator with him. Really nice guy. I took their secretary to lunch one day and she gave me a quick tour of the office. A lot of history in there.

Also, Bill Clinton was on my mortar range firing point when he was Governor of Arkansas. We were at Ft. Chaffee. He hung a couple of rounds down range with me beside him and my Plt Sgt across from him. Somewhere there is a picture of us by that 81mm mortar. Good shot of my back.

The plan was if we had a misfire or hangfire, I would get him out of the area quickly. I was more concerned with him passing his hand over the tube after he dropped the round down.

Fortunately the hardest part of the ordeal was what I had to endure with our idiot S-3 Operations officer the day before when I had to explain why the Governor had to have a hard hat on the range while firing and I would shut the range down if he didn't have a helmet on. S-3 hadn't served in an Infantry Bn since he was a 2LT.

My troops were just glad Hillary didn't come with Bill. Even then, she had a rep. Bill was actually very nice and gratious.

Comment

Working...
                              X